PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I believe that cedar in a humidor helps regulate humidity. What does it do for a cigar to be cedar-wrapped?
After a few years in the humi, you get some nice cedar flavors/aromas off of a cedar wrapped cigar............ of course it won't turn a dog bomb into a great smoke, but I've had some great smokes from cedar wrapped sticks............
Been smoking through some A. Flores 1975 Gran Reservas, cedar wrapped, from 2018/19............ DAMN good smoke.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Would it be rude to ask what the Behikes go for in Australia (if you know)?
No, not rude at all. I really don't know as it has been at least 3 years since I've bought any cigars. I do have an untouched box of the 54 which I bought some years ago. This stick was a gift from a generous friend and I fired it up as I wanted to an idea of what my box would taste like

I've just looked the the prices from an online seller in Australia:
Behike 52 AUD$230
Behike 54 AUD$250
Behike 56 AUD$280. AUD$1.00 = USD $0.76

The prices have gone up substantially since the Oz Govt increased excise on tobacco products a few years back.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I believe that cedar in a humidor helps regulate humidity. What does it do for a cigar to be cedar-wrapped?
In my opinion, nothing other than add to the presentation. You'll smell cedar on the cigar after unwrapping, but once you light it up, the cedar notes disappear unless they feature in the profile of the cigar, as in the case of this cigar. You can use a longer sleeve to light the cigar, which contributes less flavor to the first puffs than a wooden match.

I have removed a cedar sleeve from a cigar to find some mold underneath, due to the lack of air circulation plus some higher-than-desirable humidity during storage.

In short: marketing!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
No, not rude at all. I really don't know as it has been at least 3 years since I've bought any cigars. I do have an untouched box of the 54 which I bought some years ago. This stick was a gift from a generous friend and I fired it up as I wanted to an idea of what my box would taste like

I've just looked the the prices from an online seller in Australia:
Behike 52 AUD$230
Behike 54 AUD$250
Behike 56 AUD$280. AUD$1.00 = USD $0.76

The prices have gone up substantially since the Oz Govt increased excise on tobacco products a few years back.
That's actually not quite as bad as I expected. I mean, $200+ for a single cigar is outrageous, but as you mention the taxes, only part of that is Habanos SA's shamelessness :LOL:

How was it? I have not tried any of them yet.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
How strong is that one?

Better than I expected at first glance.

I've come to associate (probably inaccurately) the lighter colored wrappers with less flavorful cigars,

I was surprised when I looked it up online to find that CI gave it 4 of 5 bars on the profile chart.

1617576128171.png

Somewhere between Iowa and Texas, more likely in my care, the humidity was likely compromised a bit and the wrapper got a little jiggy, so the burn is "off and on".

It began slow and unimpressive but now, at an hour in and about a third left, it has developed a nice character and strength and I'm getting a bit of the nicotine in the gut feeling. (also on an empty stomach)

Usually, the sweet, graham cracker sort of taste is too much and undesirable to me in the "lighter" colored wrappers.

Here, however, it is a milder background influence and is allowing more of the earthy and barnyard flavors through, making a nice overall package.

I got past the fissures in the wrapper now and the burn has stabilized. In summary, it's one I'd have likely passed on while shopping online but I am enjoying it and could see having another or recommending it to a lightweight who has eaten.

I liked the MUWAT much more but both of these have inspired me to look more closely at Drew Estate.

1617576086995.jpeg

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That's actually not quite as bad as I expected. I mean, $200+ for a single cigar is outrageous, but as you mention the taxes, only part of that is Habanos SA's shamelessness :LOL:

How was it? I have not tried any of them yet.
Very nice cedary spice notes. Stronger than the usual Cohiba lines, I suspect because of the inclusion of medio tiempo leaf. Very tightly rolled and draw is not as open as I like, but that is par for course with most Habanos.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Better than I expected at first glance.

I've come to associate (probably inaccurately) the lighter colored wrappers with less flavorful cigars,

I was surprised when I looked it up online to find that CI gave it 4 of 5 bars on the profile chart.

View attachment 73707

Somewhere between Iowa and Texas, more likely in my care, the humidity was likely compromised a bit and the wrapper got a little jiggy, so the burn is "off and on".

It began slow and unimpressive but now, at an hour in and about a third left, it has developed a nice character and strength and I'm getting a bit of the nicotine in the gut feeling. (also on an empty stomach)

Usually, the sweet, graham cracker sort of taste is too much and undesirable to me in the "lighter" colored wrappers.

Here, however, it is a milder background influence and is allowing more of the earthy and barnyard flavors through, making a nice overall package.

I got past the fissures in the wrapper now and the burn has stabilized. In summary, it's one I'd have likely passed on while shopping online but I am enjoying it and could see having another or recommending it to a lightweight who has eaten.

I liked the MUWAT much more but both of these have inspired me to look more closely at Drew Estate.

View attachment 73706
If you like that one it’s similar to Liga Privada which I believe is a notch or two stronger

Status
Not open for further replies.