PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Earlier this afternoon I had an H. Upmann Connossieur A from spring, 2017 (Don't have the box handy). These are good, but I don't know they're any better than the Connie 1s despite the price premium. The No. 2s are my favorite Upmann

20210402_143645-jpg.73441

Attachments

• 20210402_143645.jpg
    20210402_143645.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 85

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Just getting started on my first Matilde Quadrata. So far so good, paired with Flor de Cana 18 year rum. Best wishes for those celebrating Easter and Good Shabbes for the brethren, and a lovely weekend to all no matter what your faith tradition, or not. View attachment 73446
I really like the Matildes. They used to carry them at my local shop, but I guess they weren't big sellers. Which is a bummer because the Quadratas, Renacers, and Oscuras were all very nice cigars, IMO. Haven't had the Serena line, but they're probably good too.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Occasional cuban cigar smoker here, I have a question (arm raised) want to buy some New World cigars where should I start?
I suggest trying some Arturo Fuentes, namely the Rosado Sungrown and Gran Reserva lines

And some Nicaraguan cigars from brands like Illusione/Aganorsa, Oliva (specifically Serie O and V) and My Father/Tatuaje

Choosing which style you prefer will make it much easier to hone in on future options.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
I suggest trying some Arturo Fuentes, namely the Rosado Sungrown and Gran Reserva lines

And some Nicaraguan cigars from brands like Illusione/Aganorsa, Oliva (specifically Serie O and V) and My Father/Tatuaje

Choosing which style you prefer will make it much easier to hone in on future options.
Thanks for the recommendations I shall look those up and make an order.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Occasional cuban cigar smoker here, I have a question (arm raised) want to buy some New World cigars where should I start?
Caveat: I usually smoke Havanas when I'm smoking a cigar, and have found over the years that when I'm not, I don't generally favor Nicaraguan or Honduran tobacco, though cigars from those countries sell very well. My recommendations revolve around Dominican tobacco as I feel they offer a comparable depth of flavor and age well:

Arturo Fuente. Almost all of them age as well as Havanas, but, obviously, the flavor is different, a different terroir if you will. Each of the lines are a variation on a theme, ranging from mild Gran Reserva line to the powerhouse that is the Opus X and all of its spinoffs (Angel's Share, Don Arturo, and Anejo are all worth sampling, if available). The 858 are the classic Fuente that have been sold for decades. Later additions, such as the Hemingway and Don Carlos lines, are worth a gander, and can sometimes be had at a good price online.

La Flor Dominicans are usually much stronger, but mellow with age.

La Aurora is the oldest manufacturer still in operation in the DR. The Preferidos line is very good and frequently available at a good price at online auction.

Macanudo Cafe are some of the best-selling cigars in the world. I panned them at first as I dove into the world of boutique releases and preferred stronger cigars at the time. I recently came full circle and now enjoy the hell out of these as they are very reliable, rich, and complex.

Happy hunting!

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Opus X Robusto. Unknown age (received in trade for pipe tobacco), but I know it has been some years since the Robusto were sold in cedar sleeves. This is an amazing cigar and a perfect 10! Waves upon waves of rich, slightly sweet flavors relentlessly coming forth, with a full range of smooth earth, exotic woods, sweeter kitchen spices, coffee, and that creamy raisin/anise and light pepper that makes these cigars so unique and memorable. These are some of the few hard-to-find cigars that are worth buying if you can find them at or near MSRP. The Dominican Corojo wrapper is hard to grow, but the results can stand up to anything Cuba has to offer.IMG_20210403_161134431.jpg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Thursday: HC Series Connecticut.. p good for the price
3257911E-6F68-4AF0-8E6B-ADE27C63D70C.jpeg

yesterday smoked a Gurkha Status as I clean/prep my wineador
836F8432-D1CC-473C-9869-F25848DEF3F1.jpeg

today a Ramon Allones Gigante from 2016... thanks @danimalia this sucker was good!!
39EAC24E-EC02-4350-8878-1B88967518B5.jpeg

I disconnected the compressor in the wine fridge so only the fan runs (its in the basement never above 70 degrees probably closer to 60) and I plugged the drain hole inside. Doing pretty well for only having 2 60g Boveda 69% packs!
2A6543C9-96B2-4BCC-AAC7-C768485A5DEB.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.