PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
Oral cancers are rather nasty. Interesting enough, there is also research that HPV is a secret culprit in many of these cancers.
Last time I looked, 100% of us will eventually die and few us will get to pick the where, when or how of it.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Meh, we live in a completely toxic environment anyway, a little 2nd hand tobacco smoke is really the least of our worries. Here's but one example. PFAS is a known carcinogen and can be found in the blood of basically every human being on the planet.

Basic Information on PFAS | US EPA - https://www.epa.gov/pfas/basic-information-pfas#:~:text=adverse%20health%20effects.-,Studies%20indicate%20that%20PFOA%20and%20PFOS%20can%20cause%20reproductive%20and,caused%20tumors%20in%20animal%20studies

Perfluorooctanoic Acid (PFOA), Teflon, and Related Chemicals - https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/teflon-and-perfluorooctanoic-acid-pfoa.html#:~:text=Studies%20have%20found%20that%20it,have%20levels%20many%20times%20higher

They are used in everything, from your cook wear, to your clothing, to cosmetics, to the carpet & upholstery in your home & car.

Here's something else to chew on, you know that weird film that collects on the inside of your car's windshield. Well that's a chemical soup that left behind by the components of your car's interior off-gassing... Is the "New Car Smell" Bad for You? - https://molekule.science/is-the-new-car-smell-bad-for-you/#:~:text=Throughout%20the%20lifetime%20of%20a,a%20process%20called%20off%2Dgassing.&text=Car%20off%2Dgassing%20is%20of,levels%20of%20off%2Dgassed%20VOCs

Every time you sit in your car you're breathing that crap in. Oh, and BTW, it's not limited to your car; nearly every item in your home and office is also doing this, as well as the interior of every building you visit.

2nd hand tobacco smoke is child's play.
Thank you.

Reactions: edger

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Honestly, if I could, I would throw away all of my pipes and tobacco and just walk away from this nasty addiction as soon as possible. I came to this as a lesser evil than cigarette smoking, and that it is... lesser, but still not good for me.
I have gone from 12 pipes a day to just 6 or maybe 10. But, I see no positive aspect to it. I mean, it makes me stink, I'm still damaging my heart, even if I am no longer inhaling. My clothes all have small tiny burns somewhere on them. People think I look stupid with a pipe. It's expensive.
And, I have no idea what people are talking about when they say it relaxes them. I mean, outside of the feeling from smoking a heavy nic blend that OD's me before going to bed.

This is why I never EVER applaud someone just coming to the hobby, and I get a feeling of absolute aboration when I see people applaud people just coming to smoking. It doesn't make sense to me to applaud someone else being chauffeured right up to the front door of addiction. And, to see 19 year olds come to our pipe club meetings. I always take them aside and give them my low and dirty, to send their asses on their way home.

And, you can tell me you're not addicted in any way till you are blue in the face. But, you're here aint ya? So, shut up.

I don't want to see new people come to the hobby. It's sickening. WTF? Will it die out? I hope for God's sake it does one day. Will I quit smoking? If I could have quit, I would have. So, here I am with all of you other old guys. And, you young guys... I'm not impressed by your lack of good decision making skills. But, if you want to be a stinky hated member of society like me, there's a seat over here next to me. But, do I applaud anyone coming into this hobby fresh? Hell NO. Take up chewing gum, fishing, or collecting stamps! Your decision to be an old stinky fuddy duddy like me doesn't impress me in the least.
Didn’t you write somewhere that your wife (who is anti smoking) started smoking a pipe because of you? Or have I been smoking too much Kendal Dark???

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
It is hard to pick what you want to die from.
You go to a dentist 2X a year for cleaning & what ever, they check your mouth & tongue for cancer.
Die happy.

Reactions: edger

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I don't bash smoking, I simply understand the risk and wish every other smoker did. I am a smoker, not a hobbyist as some like to label themselves. But, there is nothing efficacious about smoking. It's simply a choice everyone here has made. Many here, however, refuse to acknowledge, indeed go through all sorts of contortions to put a "healthy" face on a selfish choice, the fact that they are imperiling their health. Many here though do, readily acknowledge their wee vice as being inherently unhealthy.

Smoking is a choice best left to those who understand what they are doing to their body, accept the inherent risk without grasping at whatever "pop science of the moment" offers.

I don't bash smoking, I simply understand the risk and wish every other smoker did. I am a smoker, not a hobbyist as some like to label themselves. But, there is nothing efficacious about smoking. It's simply a choice everyone here has made. Many here, however, refuse to acknowledge, indeed go through all sorts of contortions to put a "healthy" face on a selfish choice, the fact that they are imperiling their health. Many here though do, readily acknowledge their wee vice as being inherently unhealthy.

Smoking is a choice best left to those who understand what they are doing to their body, accept the inherent risk without grasping at whatever "pop science of the moment" offers.
You, of course, said it way ,more eloquently than I.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Thousands, around the world, select their method of dying every day. Guns, gas, pills, dope, razor blades, automobiles, bath tubs and electricity, hanging, tall buildings, bridges, the oceans, airplanes, railroad trains, lye, suicide by cop, the choices are almost endless.
Spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.