PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
Genetics play a huge role in cancer. My grandfather was a Master Sargent in the Pacific during WWII. He smoked 2 packs of Camel Unfiltered cigarettes a day. He lived to his early 80s. He had several cancer episodes and cancer cost him his life. He was a simple man, who liked simple pleasures. Did smoking cost him his life, sure. That said, he also lived a long, hard life.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Genetics play a huge role in cancer. My grandfather was a Master Sargent in the Pacific during WWII. He smoked 2 packs of Camel Unfiltered cigarettes a day. He lived to his early 80s. He had several cancer episodes and cancer cost him his life. He was a simple man, who liked simple pleasures. Did smoking cost him his life, sure. That said, he also lived a long, hard life.
sometimes. There are lots of types of cancer and they're all caused by different things. Though at the end of the day they're just caused by cells replacing themselves too many times. Genetics determine what's too many times. Though something like smoking cigarettes damages the cells and makes them replace themselves at a faster rate meaning you get to that too many times quicker. I noticed something people who have those long lived smoking grandpas and uncles always seem to be smokers of unfiltered cigarettes. This makes me wonder if maybe one of the reasons it took them longer to get cancer or health issues is if for some reason they just have tougher cells in that part of their body. Why would I think that if you prefer unfiltered there is a good chance you're not feeling as much irritation from cigs as most people, and irritation is basically a response to damage. Just a thought, not even a theory.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Whether it is true or not doesn't matter. The myth of second hand smoke has entered the mythology of the country and is accepted as a fact by virtually all non-smokers and by a good portion of smokers.

Reactions: rajangan

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Whether it is true or not doesn't matter. The myth of second hand smoke has entered the mythology of the country and is accepted as a fact by virtually all non-smokers and by a good portion of smokers.
Just like so many other myths out there right now.

Frankly, with all the crap they are putting into everything, including pharmaceuticals, getting cancer or some other deadly malady from tobacco smoke is the least of our present worries.

Just like so many other myths out there right now.

Frankly, with all the crap they are putting into everything, including pharmaceuticals, getting cancer or some other deadly malady from tobacco smoke is the least of our present worries.
Yeh, which is worse COPD, heart disease, emphysema, lung disease, or cancer? Not every disease that is caused by smoking is deadly, but being dead isn't necessarily the worst thing either.
Mouth cancer... no one here talks about that much. It can be curable, but I've also known two men to die from it rather quickly also. I've heard that when you have COPD, that you stop sleeping, because you have to stay conscious to keep fighting for air.

I smoke, I love smoking. It's going to kill me. Unless I get hit by a bus first. Lets just stop dickering over stupid nuances. If it scares the hell out of someone to think that smoking MIGHT be harmful that they need to start twisting truths and looking for hack scientists to follow, maybe they need to take up something safer like origami instead. puffy

So which will get me first? Cirrhosis from my moderate drinking? Some disease from my moderate pipe smoking? Crashing from my occasional motorcycle riding? Diabetes from my sugary western diet? Or brain cancer from reading nonsense on the internet all day? :LOL:
Why choose, invite them all in with a warm welcome. puffy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yeh, which is worse COPD, heart disease, emphysema, lung disease, or cancer? Not every disease that is caused by smoking is deadly, but being dead isn't necessarily the worst thing either.
Mouth cancer... no one here talks about that much. It can be curable, but I've also known two men to die from it rather quickly also. I've heard that when you have COPD, that you stop sleeping, because you have to stay conscious to keep fighting for air.

I smoke, I love smoking. It's going to kill me. Unless I get hit by a bus first. Lets just stop dickering over stupid nuances. If it scares the hell out of someone to think that smoking MIGHT be harmful that they need to start twisting truths and looking for hack scientists to follow, maybe they need to take up something safer like origami instead. puffy
nifty fact. Cigarette smokers have a higher rate of oral malignancies then any other tobacco users (excluding certain oral tobaccos from India.) Just evidence it's not just tobacco that makes cigs bad for you.

Not sure: all the acids and additives in the papers that get absorbed through the skin and give you cancer. Just ask the State of California.

And that's not counting the choking hazard.
Yeh... all of those dead little Japanese girls falling down dead after making swans for weddings and such. puffy
The trick to choking to death is only putting things in your mouth when your alone. Because if there is some Freakin' Prince Charming type of do-gooders around, they're always doing that hymen maneuver. puffy

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
Honestly, if I could, I would throw away all of my pipes and tobacco and just walk away from this nasty addiction as soon as possible. I came to this as a lesser evil than cigarette smoking, and that it is... lesser, but still not good for me.
I have gone from 12 pipes a day to just 6 or maybe 10. But, I see no positive aspect to it. I mean, it makes me stink, I'm still damaging my heart, even if I am no longer inhaling. My clothes all have small tiny burns somewhere on them. People think I look stupid with a pipe. It's expensive.
And, I have no idea what people are talking about when they say it relaxes them. I mean, outside of the feeling from smoking a heavy nic blend that OD's me before going to bed.

This is why I never EVER applaud someone just coming to the hobby, and I get a feeling of absolute aboration when I see people applaud people just coming to smoking. It doesn't make sense to me to applaud someone else being chauffeured right up to the front door of addiction. And, to see 19 year olds come to our pipe club meetings. I always take them aside and give them my low and dirty, to send their asses on their way home.

And, you can tell me you're not addicted in any way till you are blue in the face. But, you're here aint ya? So, shut up.

I don't want to see new people come to the hobby. It's sickening. WTF? Will it die out? I hope for God's sake it does one day. Will I quit smoking? If I could have quit, I would have. So, here I am with all of you other old guys. And, you young guys... I'm not impressed by your lack of good decision making skills. But, if you want to be a stinky hated member of society like me, there's a seat over here next to me. But, do I applaud anyone coming into this hobby fresh? Hell NO. Take up chewing gum, fishing, or collecting stamps! Your decision to be an old stinky fuddy duddy like me doesn't impress me in the least.
Then go away. Quit. Chew gum, snus, wear a patch, move to an ashram, do whatever you have to do to get out of the self-hating and dissociative mindset that puts you in positions where you actively contribute to and participate in a hobby that you profess to loathe.
Why continue with this forum or with your home club if you hate what we do and want it to die out? Why scare off new pipe smokers and potential club members from your PIPE SMOKING CLUB? Why put us or, more importantly, yourself through that heavy negativity?
Just go.

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
We've been breathing in low levels of second hand smoke for ehhh, 200,000 to 1,000,000 years-ish. True tobacco has specifically a few evolutionarily novel chemicals in its smoke, but smoke in general is not new at all. Yet, it still makes us cough. It's supposed to. Most people's common sense concludes that exposure and natural coughing responses will cause cancer because being extra cautious isn't going to hurt anyone. Vigilance is a natural tendency that ensures survival.

But if the numbers don't fit, you must acquit. Common sense is often bullshit.

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Simultaneous alcohol and tobacco use significantly increases your chance of getting oral cancer. I don't combine them. That is probably the most convincing thing I've read on the risk of tobacco. (from the perspective of a non-inhaling pipe smoker)

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
As a one-time thing, I once did demonstrations of metalsmithing to a high school class in a room that was also used for ceramics. As I was demo'ing, I saw an 18 year old kid grind up some dried clay and snort it like it was cocaine. I stopped and explained that he needed to remember this moment... sometime in the not too distant future he would be diagnosed with silicosis, because what he just intentionally just snorted right into his lungs was a mix of talc, silica, and oxides. I then explained that silica was very finely ground glass. and if you looked at it under a microscope, it would look like jagged broken glass shards. And, there is no known way that it will ever leave your lungs once it's there, and the diagnosis is a death sentence.
He ran out of the room in a panic, and I had a conversation with the person in charge of the program. Apparently, I wasn't subtle enough in telling an idiot how stupid he is being.
My brother was a tile installer for many years, and saw a few guys die from this from not wearing their PPE.

Status
Not open for further replies.