PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

Perhaps this one. I’m admittedly an amateur at Boolean queries but it was fairly straightforward with a search of “secondhand.”
You are the Jedi master. I used "secondhand" as a keyword and got 813 hits. But I had gone to the National Cancer Institute Home site. This is on an associated site from the National Cancer Institute.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It's pretty well determined that, there is nothing efficacious about smoking. So, that being settled, society has decided bars shouldn't stink, wait staff shouldn't reek and smoke, old, stale smoke reeks so, why put up with smoking in any public area? And, to that ... we smokers have no defense other than ... wait for it ... most of you know what follows ... "I like to smoke and really do not care about any inconvenience to others on the area. Suck it, non-smokers! Just suck it!" It's our rather childish and selfish response.

Politicians love us as we pay the extra taxes with a minimum of complaint. So, there is that.
For once I agree with Warren. ?

Honestly, if I could, I would throw away all of my pipes and tobacco and just walk away from this nasty addiction as soon as possible. I came to this as a lesser evil than cigarette smoking, and that it is... lesser, but still not good for me.
I have gone from 12 pipes a day to just 6 or maybe 10. But, I see no positive aspect to it. I mean, it makes me stink, I'm still damaging my heart, even if I am no longer inhaling. My clothes all have small tiny burns somewhere on them. People think I look stupid with a pipe. It's expensive.
And, I have no idea what people are talking about when they say it relaxes them. I mean, outside of the feeling from smoking a heavy nic blend that OD's me before going to bed.

This is why I never EVER applaud someone just coming to the hobby, and I get a feeling of absolute aboration when I see people applaud people just coming to smoking. It doesn't make sense to me to applaud someone else being chauffeured right up to the front door of addiction. And, to see 19 year olds come to our pipe club meetings. I always take them aside and give them my low and dirty, to send their asses on their way home.

And, you can tell me you're not addicted in any way till you are blue in the face. But, you're here aint ya? So, shut up.

I don't want to see new people come to the hobby. It's sickening. WTF? Will it die out? I hope for God's sake it does one day. Will I quit smoking? If I could have quit, I would have. So, here I am with all of you other old guys. And, you young guys... I'm not impressed by your lack of good decision making skills. But, if you want to be a stinky hated member of society like me, there's a seat over here next to me. But, do I applaud anyone coming into this hobby fresh? Hell NO. Take up chewing gum, fishing, or collecting stamps! Your decision to be an old stinky fuddy duddy like me doesn't impress me in the least.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
As a fire investigator I’m more concerned with mercury being reintroduced through compact fluorescent lights than any residual smoke.

I fully understand structure fires are different from pipe smoking, unless you’re smoking Latakia blends, due to man made materials and such, but..... this is just an example of visual vs invisible particulates.

To determine whether we wore respirators in a scene when I was first while training we would take a flash picture and look for “floaties”. I we saw floaties (air born particulates) we masked up. Yes, that’s ridiculous.

I wear a respirator in every scene now, not because of lung cancer, but bladder cancer from the accumulation of heavy metals.

FWIW, science advances one death at a time. Take that for what it’s worth.
now I see where you got your handle ;D
Is bladder disease more common in people exposed to toxic dust?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Actually, another study DID find a link: they found that children growing up in smoking homes, who were continuously exposed to "second-hand" smoke had a lower rate of lung cancer later in life than those who grew up in non-smoking homes. Of course, since that study was aimed at proving that smoking kills, they downplayed that fact, if they even reported it all in their conclusions. Still, the fact remains that stuff that at certain amounts or concentrations kills you, at other amounts makes you stronger.

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
Honestly, if I could, I would throw away all of my pipes and tobacco and just walk away from this nasty addiction as soon as possible. I came to this as a lesser evil than cigarette smoking, and that it is... lesser, but still not good for me.
I have gone from 12 pipes a day to just 6 or maybe 10. But, I see no positive aspect to it. I mean, it makes me stink, I'm still damaging my heart, even if I am no longer inhaling. My clothes all have small tiny burns somewhere on them. People think I look stupid with a pipe. It's expensive.
And, I have no idea what people are talking about when they say it relaxes them. I mean, outside of the feeling from smoking a heavy nic blend that OD's me before going to bed.

This is why I never EVER applaud someone just coming to the hobby, and I get a feeling of absolute aboration when I see people applaud people just coming to smoking. It doesn't make sense to me to applaud someone else being chauffeured right up to the front door of addiction. And, to see 19 year olds come to our pipe club meetings. I always take them aside and give them my low and dirty, to send their asses on their way home.

And, you can tell me you're not addicted in any way till you are blue in the face. But, you're here aint ya? So, shut up.

I don't want to see new people come to the hobby. It's sickening. WTF? Will it die out? I hope for God's sake it does one day. Will I quit smoking? If I could have quit, I would have. So, here I am with all of you other old guys. And, you young guys... I'm not impressed by your lack of good decision making skills. But, if you want to be a stinky hated member of society like me, there's a seat over here next to me. But, do I applaud anyone coming into this hobby fresh? Hell NO. Take up chewing gum, fishing, or collecting stamps! Your decision to be an old stinky fuddy duddy like me doesn't impress me in the least.
That's quite a projection you are making there. I stand by my words that I am no more addicted to tobacco than I am to tea. I don't smoke daily and don't smoke during the winter. I have used tobacco for five years and never struggle with addiction. And I find it very relaxing.

I have found during my short life that my opinions are likely never going to be accepted by most of the society, so being label as "stinky hated member of society" doesn't concern me at all.

Oh and whether or not second hand smoke is harmful I consider being respectful towards others the best tactic. I don't go and sit next to someone in park and light my pipe. I go a bit further. If someone comes close willingly then I take they are not offended by it. Some people just don't like the smoke, cancer aside.

That's quite a projection you are making there. I stand by my words that I am no more addicted to tobacco than I am to tea. I don't smoke daily and don't smoke during the winter. I have used tobacco for five years and never struggle with addiction. And I find it very relaxing.

I have found during my short life that my opinions are likely never going to be accepted by most of the society, so being label as "stinky hated member of society" doesn't concern me at all.

Oh and whether or not second hand smoke is harmful I consider being respectful towards others the best tactic. I don't go and sit next to someone in park and light my pipe. I go a bit further. If someone comes close willingly then I take they are not offended by it. Some people just don't like the smoke, cancer aside.
I think what Warren was saying, was that when you look back on the 80's and how prevalent smoking was, it goes to show that if left unrestrained by laws, smokers would choose to smoke in places, distances, and conditions that would only best suit the smoker. I grew up where people lit cigarettes and set them in the ash trays at restaurants with kids at the table. I constantly had red watering swollen eyes as a kid, because everyone smoked around me. Just lighting a cigarette to set in an ashtray while eating was the epitome of what happens when smokers may smoke unrestrained. No one meant to be rude, it just never occurred to them that it was rude in any way, because everyone smoked.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
There are three main ways in which substances have an effect on the body:

Harm-dose-relationships--01.jpg

Harm-dose-relationships--02.jpg

Harm-dose-relationships--03.jpg

The antis insist tobacco always falls in the first category. Their studies are manipulated to maintain that assumption. They need it for policy. If tobacco fell into any of the other categories (as it in reality does), their house of cards would collapse.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA

Same here BUT and it's a big but and reinforcement to why he is indeed right - I'm young - I started even younger - with Cigars then cigarettes(stupid move) I quit twice both for 1 year spans - upon returning I found it HIGHLY SATISFYING on both occasions but my health took a turn south QUICKLY on both occasions. Smoking is a filthy and disgusting habit. I find it enjoyable(but not as addictive as others do) but I feel it in my throat, chest, lungs etc... I think at this point its the point of no return for me and I don't mind dying 'younger' - you also accept the risk of suffering from disease. I'm also an alcoholic - I recently hit rock bottom and came to face the fact - I haven't quit that yet either.

Reactions: macaroni and BROBS

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
I think what Warren was saying, was that when you look back on the 80's and how prevalent smoking was, it goes to show that if left unrestrained by laws, smokers would choose to smoke in places, distances, and conditions that would only best suit the smoker. I grew up where people lit cigarettes and set them in the ash trays at restaurants with kids at the table. I constantly had red watering swollen eyes as a kid, because everyone smoked around me. Just lighting a cigarette to set in an ashtray while eating was the epitome of what happens when smokers may smoke unrestrained. No one meant to be rude, it just never occurred to them that it was rude in any way, because everyone smoked.
Yeah, I get that. Nobody should be forced to inhale smoke in their workplace or in places where they cannot escape it.

I was replying to your statement that everyone here is an addict and that pipe smoking is just some coping mechanism. I disagree with you on that one completely.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
how many of you have rooms that reek of either tinned and jarred tobacco or rooms which you smoke in regularly that reek of stagnant smoke - think... both are polluted rooms - I sleep in one, where I store leaf - I smell it at night _ I'm considering moving it and I love the smell of tobacco

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I was replying to your statement that everyone here is an addict and that pipe smoking is just some coping mechanism. I disagree with you on that one completely.
That silly argument comes up here from time to time. I agree with you on disagreeing with it completely.

If I were an addict I'd be out there right now, in -17 °C, puffing away. I'm here, indoors. Last time I smoked was last Sunday—didn't finish the pipe—I can go days or weeks without smoking—even when it's balmy outside 90% of the time I'm too lazy to go out to puff. Addicts don't let laziness get between them and their craving. And they crave it all day, every day.

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
Same here BUT and it's a big but and reinforcement to why he is indeed right - I'm young - I started even younger - with Cigars then cigarettes(stupid move) I quit twice both for 1 year spans - upon returning I found it HIGHLY SATISFYING on both occasions but my health took a turn south QUICKLY on both occasions. Smoking is a filthy and disgusting habit. I find it enjoyable(but not as addictive as others do) but I feel it in my throat, chest, lungs etc... I think at this point its the point of no return for me and I don't mind dying 'younger' - you also accept the risk of suffering from disease. I'm also an alcoholic - I recently hit rock bottom and came to face the fact - I haven't quit that yet either.
I'm sorry you are struggling, but my point was that just because you personally are addicted does not mean everyone else is. It's a subjective experience that is being projected unto others.

I don't inhale pipe and live otherwise very healthily. Oral cancer risk is of course there, but other health risks I see as minimal. May be different for you if you inhale cigarettes, that's very bad for lungs.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I'm sorry you are struggling, but my point was that just because you personally are addicted does not mean everyone else is. It's a subjective experience that is being projected unto others.

I don't inhale pipe and live otherwise very healthily. Oral cancer risk is of course there, but other health risks I see as minimal. May be different for you if you inhale cigarettes, that's very bad for lungs.
all risks are there - you can get kidney, colorectal, and bladder as well as oral - don't kid yourself with the inhaling fallacy

Reactions: macaroni and BROBS

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I think we have a couple members who hate the fact that they enjoy tobacco but want to quit and are crying out for help. The cry for help is an important first step but crying out to other pipe smokers probably isn't going to get them the help they need. If I were in that situation, I sure as hell wouldn't be hanging out on a pipe forum bitching about tobacco.

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
Here is a link. This is some deep analysis and technical reading, but for those of us so versed, it is still telling.

Reactions: BROBS
We can disagree. I'm not twisting anyone's arms to change their perspective, but just note that I don't buy it. I can quit smoking my pipes for weeks at a time, but eventually, I come back the moment I can. It is not the same as cigarettes, but it is an addiction. If it wasn't, why the hell would I do this thing? I see absolutely NO positives in it at all. The only people I will believe are those who just put their pipes down and walk away, never to be seen smoking again. All else... are suspect, ha ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.