PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
As a one-time thing, I once did demonstrations of metalsmithing to a high school class in a room that was also used for ceramics. As I was demo'ing, I saw an 18 year old kid grind up some dried clay and snort it like it was cocaine. I stopped and explained that he needed to remember this moment... sometime in the not too distant future he would be diagnosed with silicosis, because what he just intentionally just snorted right into his lungs was a mix of talc, silica, and oxides. I then explained that silica was very finely ground glass. and if you looked at it under a microscope, it would look like jagged broken glass shards. And, there is no known way that it will ever leave your lungs once it's there, and the diagnosis is a death sentence.
He ran out of the room in a panic, and I had a conversation with the person in charge of the program. Apparently, I wasn't subtle enough in telling an idiot how stupid he is being.

While your information may have lacked finesse, it may have saved some lives. However, there's no known cure for ignorance.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
And I find it very relaxing.
There you go! Your brain needs it to relax. So, you acknowledge at least, an affinity to nicotine. You're coming slowly to the truth of the matter.

Then there are the deniers who, simply because they do not "inhale", fail to recognize that nicotine absorbed through the mouth and nose displace oxygen in the blood, weakening the immune system. And, it's the nicotine, carried into the brain that provides the euphoria you so enjoy. Call it relaxing but, one cannot deny the effect of the nicotine by refusing to acknowledge the cause ... the drug, nicotine. So called, centuries ago, "Lady Nicotine", acknowledging the seductiveness of the drug.

But, all the medical expertise being thrown about, very loosely without citation, here ignores the simple fact that smoking is simply now socially unacceptable. And, it is indefensible other than, "it makes me feel good/relaxed/euphoric/etc. so .. screw everyone etc." To smoke is, undeniably, a totally selfish decision. I made it same as all of you. But, I do not object to being told I can no linger smoke in public places. I'm a bit selfish but, I'm not totally self-absorbed, I do consider how my actions effect others.

I enjoy pointing out, probably to the discomfort of Kevin, the cost of smoking and tell the children to smoke only if they are unable to find a better way of spending their moneys. I have the disposable moneys and do enjoy watching it waft slowly to the ceiling/clouds. Some here, judging from the whimpering complaints regarding rising prices and taxes probably would be better off spending their moneys on other items they need.

To each his own I suppose.

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
all risks are there - you can get kidney, colorectal, and bladder as well as oral - don't kid yourself with the inhaling fallacy
The risks need to be put into perspective. One chest x-ray can theoretically raise your cancer risk, but it is so small it's not even measurable. Getting chest x-rays 24/7 for ten years could be a cause of concern. Frequency and amount matter.

I highly doubt smoking a pipe few times a week is going to cause kidney damage. If you have evidence to suggest otherwise please present it. Alcohol is also carsinogenic, but to say that occasional glass of wine will cause you cancer and terrible health issues is absurd. Of course probability increases when used in excess.

Moderation is the key and dosage makes the poison.

I’m not even reading the posts quoting me. I know how folks react. But, leep in mind, I’m not someone in an ivory tower looking down on anyone. I’m just a pipe smoker, entrenched in collecting pipes and cellaring tobaccos like anyone else here, posting my own perspective. You have yours, and it’s not worth debating for either of us.

But, keep in mind that I’m like the most ridiculous of members here, ha ha. So, what should it matter to any of you who’ve known me over the years here? It’s just my perspective.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I’m not even reading the posts quoting me. I know how folks react. But, leep in mind, I’m not someone in an ivory tower looking down on anyone. I’m just a pipe smoker, entrenched in collecting pipes and cellaring tobaccos like anyone else here, posting my own perspective. You have yours, and it’s not worth debating for either of us.

But, keep in mind that I’m like the most ridiculous of members here, ha ha. So, what should it matter to any of you who’ve known me over the years here? It’s just my perspective.
Reported for making too much sense.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
As a one-time thing, I once did demonstrations of metalsmithing to a high school class in a room that was also used for ceramics. As I was demo'ing, I saw an 18 year old kid grind up some dried clay and snort it like it was cocaine. I stopped and explained that he needed to remember this moment... sometime in the not too distant future he would be diagnosed with silicosis, because what he just intentionally just snorted right into his lungs was a mix of talc, silica, and oxides. I then explained that silica was very finely ground glass. and if you looked at it under a microscope, it would look like jagged broken glass shards. And, there is no known way that it will ever leave your lungs once it's there, and the diagnosis is a death sentence.
He ran out of the room in a panic, and I had a conversation with the person in charge of the program. Apparently, I wasn't subtle enough in telling an idiot how stupid he is being.
(2) Mr. Hand what is it... - YouTube

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Of course probability increases when used in excess.
So, we can forget genetics when evaluating our use of various carcinogens? Wonderful news! Thank you! Thank you!

Oh, could you define "excess" definitively? I'd appreciate it. Or, could it be that "excess" is a subjective term we must define individually? As our mothers told many us, "All things in moderation." Of course she left the boundaries undefined, leaving it up to us to find the line between moderation and excess. And, if you are like me, moderation and excess are defined by how much I like the item I'm possibly abusing.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Actually, another study DID find a link: they found that children growing up in smoking homes, who were continuously exposed to "second-hand" smoke had a lower rate of lung cancer later in life than those who grew up in non-smoking homes. Of course, since that study was aimed at proving that smoking kills, they downplayed that fact, if they even reported it all in their conclusions. Still, the fact remains that stuff that at certain amounts or concentrations kills you, at other amounts makes you stronger.

35DDC360-331E-4FCC-A5E5-D7C850006128.jpeg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
So, we can forget genetics when evaluating our use of various carcinogens? Wonderful news! Thank you! Thank you!

Oh, could you define "excess" definitively? I'd appreciate it. Or, could it be that "excess" is a subjective term we must define individually? As our mothers told many us, "All things in moderation." Of course she left the boundaries undefined, leaving it up to us to find the line between moderation and excess. And, if you are like me, moderation and excess are defined by how much I like the item I'm possibly abusing.
Indeed. They told my father that a glass or two of red wine was just fine.. in fact maybe even good for him! He’s always had high cholesterol and high BP and been on medication basically since I was born. Now he’s had 19 stents and is inoperable for a bypass. Also has the start of vascular dementia due to the hardening and plaque in his arteries. Guess what? Now they’ve found the thing with wine isn’t true and drinking any alcohol even 1 drink per day damages your health.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Indeed. They told my father that a glass or two of red wine was just fine.. in fact maybe even good for him! He’s always had high cholesterol and high BP and been on medication basically since I was born. Now he’s had 19 stents and is inoperable for a bypass. Also has the start of vascular dementia due to the hardening and plaque in his arteries. Guess what? Now they’ve found the thing with wine isn’t true and drinking any alcohol even 1 drink per day damages your health.
My great grandfather was prescribed by his doctor to drink a few ounces of brandy whenever his heart hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.