PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Royal Yacht is the only pipe tobacco that has actually made me nauseous. The taste was strong, but it was the Vitamin N content that finished me off. I finished that tin -- using a pipe filter after the first disastrous try -- and never have purchased it again. If you like it, please enjoy it. It's not for me.

It’s best when describing this, to let us know what Era did you smoke from? Dunhill, Murray, Orlik/STG. :)

Reactions: ofafeather

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Well, I tried RY for the first time today, and......

Put me in the thumbs up camp. I like it, but then again I haven't really found a pipe tobacco I don't like yet :LOL:
I'm enjoying a bowl right now. I have been going to it more and more the last week or two. I am going to add a few more tins on my next order.
As was suggested to me a little time in the jar served it well. I would love to see how a year or more does for it.

Glad you enjoyed it, cheers!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not sure when the Murray era ended, but I had a tin of RY on hand for a time before I opened it in about 2015. Neither that tin nor the current Peterson version seemed significantly different. It has always had a rep for strong nic, but didn't hit me with that particularly.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I'm not sure when the Murray era ended, but I had a tin of RY on hand for a time before I opened it in about 2015. Neither that tin nor the current Peterson version seemed significantly different. It has always had a rep for strong nic, but didn't hit me with that particularly.

From what I’ve read Murray closed in 2005.

Surely there must be a difference from a blend Murray worked on in the 80s, from what STG is doing now... ?

2B74F7F6-5412-458E-9AD6-C979AD9CF03D.jpeg

Reactions: ofafeather

Road To Pines

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2020
Ontario, Canada
So how would y'all categorize Royal Yacht?

Like, in which notebook section would I scribble my tasting notes, what area of the tobacco shelf would it sit on, what column in the tobacco database?

It's listed as an Aromatic on Tobacco Reviews, but would you place it more as a Virginia or Virginia-Based blend (that happens to have slight topping added)?

Semi-Aromatic?

"Other"?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just take it as an aromatic blended with a masterful sense of simplicity. It is not jazzed up at all, and the secret sauce, plum I presume, is just right to enhance and highlight a good grade of Virginia leaf. Like a good piece of writing, it doesn't have any extratraneous parts.

Ziggywm

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
Fargo, ND
W
reading reviews makes me think people taste pipe tobacco way differently from others. And some blends smoked in certain pipes taste different. Of my pipes the oldest and newest smoke so differently both great. But things just don't taste the same in them. And it's not a new verse old thing either. My go to is Captain Black and any PG heavy thing. If it tasted to everyone the way it tastes to me no one would buy it except to make their submissive partner smoke it. I don't get how people don't like EGR or Erinmore and people don't like those. Heck some people can't stand latakia and when they describe how it tastes I think they are smoking something else then what I have smoked with it.
When I worked at Diebel's Pipe Shop, albeit a long time ago, I learned very quickly there are no two tasters alike. Like fingerprints, we are all different. Then there are all of the influences of type of pipe (meerschaum or briar, perhaps clay or calabash ). Basically, we can only paint with a broad brush when it comes to taste,, flavor & smell. Remember this: No one can tell you what an egg tastes is.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
W

When I worked at Diebel's Pipe Shop, albeit a long time ago, I learned very quickly there are no two tasters alike. Like fingerprints, we are all different. Then there are all of the influences of type of pipe (meerschaum or briar, perhaps clay or calabash ). Basically, we can only paint with a broad brush when it comes to taste,, flavor & smell. Remember this: No one can tell you what an egg tastes is.
actually egg tastes kind of like chicken but more immature.

Road To Pines

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I just take it as an aromatic blended with a masterful sense of simplicity. It is not jazzed up at all, and the secret sauce, plum I presume, is just right to enhance and highlight a good grade of Virginia leaf. Like a good piece of writing, it doesn't have any extratraneous parts.
Thank you.

Your description brings to mind Peterson's University Flake, which I find enjoyable enough, but only when smoked sparingly: Virginia and Burley with a pleasant plum topping. Here's another tobacco that could be called a VaBur, but I tend to think of it as an Aromatic, if more suave than many Aros.

I recently received a first tin of Royal Yacht, but it will wait on the sidelines for a while until I've worked through a number of other opened blends.

"Extratraneous": clever!