PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My sister sent me a tin of Peterson Royal Yacht for Christmas, and I opened it for my January 1 first smoke of the year. Yes! The Peterson version is just as I remember the Dunhill version, logically because it is being blended by the same outfit, and I enjoy it every bit as much. I know, I know, many don't like Royal Yuck at all, and that's okay. For me, it is my favorite Virginia-based blend, and among my favorite loose cut tobaccos as well, with its secret sauce flavoring, plum maybe, which is nuanced and skillfully supporting of the high quality Virginia leaf. It lights with one match and burns with a luxurious evenness. For me, it is among the complete pleasure blends. I am not impervious to nicotine, though I do not crave it, and I feel no overbearing nicotine in Royal Yacht. Long live the Yacht. For me, it is a familiar and enticing pleasure.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I like it a lot too and never understood why it’s so polarizing. The topping is subtle I think. The nicotine isn’t overwhelming but it’s a blend that satisfies in that regard.
reading reviews makes me think people taste pipe tobacco way differently from others. And some blends smoked in certain pipes taste different. Of my pipes the oldest and newest smoke so differently both great. But things just don't taste the same in them. And it's not a new verse old thing either. My go to is Captain Black and any PG heavy thing. If it tasted to everyone the way it tastes to me no one would buy it except to make their submissive partner smoke it. I don't get how people don't like EGR or Erinmore and people don't like those. Heck some people can't stand latakia and when they describe how it tastes I think they are smoking something else then what I have smoked with it.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
I don't know if there's any truth to the saw that the plum-ish topping was an attempt to provide a perique-like partner for the Virginia minus the actual perique....but RY certainly tastes like a punchy VaPer to my uneducated palate. Not a blend I've gone for again after smoking a tin....but absolutely did not 'get' why this is so infamous on the forums.

If comparing RY to true VaPer blends....I'd say RY is definitely 'louder' in the flavor department and lacks some comparative complexity/refinement. I can totally dig why a true-blue VaPer guy would not flip for RY, it's almost like an OTC/Codgerized version of a VaPer....but I just didn't get what flavors in this blend would justify the 'disgusting' rep. that follows it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not to over-dramatize, but I think RY defines its own category. I see the Perique comparison, but I taste it as a different animal, and I like Perique. Because it is a little different in its own way, I can see why it might rub some the wrong way, although I enjoy it a lot. Some favored blends don't appeal to me, but I try not to rain on anyone's parade. If they're happy, that's good!

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Not to over-dramatize, but I think RY defines its own category. I see the Perique comparison, but I taste it as a different animal, and I like Perique. Because it is a little different in its own way...
Totally dig it's not a perfect one-on-one on perique. When I smoked this, after reading about the 'infamous' Royal Yacht for years without trying it.....I was really expecting a very unique or eclectic taste profile. Something that I could understand why it would be polarizing. I was surprised to find a taste that was at the least perique-adjacent (ie, not something that far off the beaten path for a decently versed pipe-smoker).

Could I see folks not necessarily loving the way it dials in strength/flavor? Sure. Does it have flavors that are way off the beaten path for the experienced smoke? To me...not at all. Heck, the new, popular Vanilla Roll Cake to my taste buds is more of a weird flavor mash-up than RY by far. But as I always note, I spend my time smoking Ten Russians so darned if my palate knows ;)

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I never got the chance to take the yacht for a spin but I’m interested in the whole VaPer (minus the perique) vibe you are talking about. I have a friend who loves the flavour of perique but is allergic to it. Like one sip and his throat flares and he starts coughing.

so I have been experimenting with blending dark air cured leaf with bright Virginia and it does a similar thing - balances pH of blend, metabolises the nicotine content in the Virginia leaf, and reacts with the Virginia to draw out those deeper and dark fruit flavours we associate with perique (when blended with Virginia).

anyways now back to blend at hand

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I don't know if I like it or not but I think I do..on my second bowl for today. I mentioned to my wife that I would like to order a few tins of it earlier.

I can't put a finger on what it is I like about it. For me Opening Night has the delicious bread flavor that I like and associate with Va. RY for me has not been overpowering in anyway, just a smooth balanced blend.

I don't know what the topping is but I like the flavor that it makes with the VA. I seem to get bite with Va a lot but do not with RY, so that boost stock for me. I don't understand why so many hate it but I can understand the love it\hate it deal.. every palate is different.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
My sister sent me a tin of Peterson Royal Yacht for Christmas, and I opened it for my January 1 first smoke of the year. Yes! The Peterson version is just as I remember the Dunhill version, logically because it is being blended by the same outfit

I thought this same outfit you mentioned meant Orlik Era?

What about Murray Era, have you smoked RY from Murray?

Reactions: ofafeather

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Royal Yacht is the one Dunhill blend I have not tried. I’ll have to crack a tin to see what the fuss is all about. Thanks for the review!

Reactions: ofafeather

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I smoked it right around the end of Dunhill making it or around when Murray started.

So my first tin, which I don’t know, was either towards the last years of Dunhill making it, or at the beginning when Murray picked it up.

Either way, back then it was amazing, and so was EMP, those where my first into the Pipe World, meaning, when I started smoking, these are the first two tabac I started out on.

I’ll never forget the impression they left me, starting out smoking with RY & EMP. :)

Ivanhoe

Lurker
May 15, 2020
Royal Yacht is the only pipe tobacco that has actually made me nauseous. The taste was strong, but it was the Vitamin N content that finished me off. I finished that tin -- using a pipe filter after the first disastrous try -- and never have purchased it again. If you like it, please enjoy it. It's not for me.