PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
As a rule of thumb (and there are exceptions as there are a number of VA types, even depending on where grown - soil conditions, weather, etc. - its similar to wine) VA leaf, especially Bright is flue cured. The heat from the wood fired flues kills the leaf quickly setting the sugars and keeping starch from forming. This is unlike Burley which is air cured. Consequently, Burley is more absorbent then VA and can be heavily flavored. Because of the sugar in VA leaf, especially Bright, it must be processed into cakes, steamed, aged - fermented - to make it smokable otherwise it will burn your tongue and palette. If flavored its usually a light, alcohol based natural flavoring, like whisky or vanilla, etc. In the UK its against the law to adulterate tobacco with anything artificial, like glycol, nitrates or any chemicals (preservatives). Tobacco falls under the spice laws passed by Parliament in the 17th C. Remember, London was the spice processing capital of the world for centuries. More exploration was done by HM ships for spices then gold. When ships came into port unscrupulous importers could easily add anything to the spices or tobacco, especially hay or straw to add weight. This is why they gravitated to the vacuum tin; I don't know, but this too may have been a Dunhill innovation; they certainly were the first to vacuum tin cigarettes.
But its also why American drug store varieties were/are mostly Burley based blends, heavily flavored and adulterated with glycol and preservatives to increase shelf life by keeping it moist.

Dunhill Royal Yacht contains propylene glycol, potassium sorbate, ethyl acetate, sodium benzoate and benzoic acid, three of which are preservatives.

Navigationspunkt Tabakzusatzstoffe-Datenbank - https://service.bmel.de/tabakerzeugnisse/index2.php?detail_id=100571&ssk=dd246d17bb&site_key=153&stichw_suche=dunhill&zeilenzahl_zaehler=47

Reactions: Friendly Piper

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
My subjective experience is that the flavoring, plum or whatever it is, is decidedly subordinate, supporting the good Virginia leaf but not overreaching. It is, to me, tobacco forward, which is how I like my aromatics. Clearly, others don't taste it this way at all, but that's how taste works, I guess.
In reference to @JohnMosesBrowning post above, just found that @mso489 answers that question pretty well earlier in this thread.
Better than I would have put it anyway.
He has a way with word's Mr mso489.