PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Even as a kid, I liked nearly all vegetables. None of the usual suspects were repulsive to me. I like broccoli, brussels sprouts, kale -- and nearly everything else. And I admire critters alive. But alas, I'm an omnivore. My late wife did an informed attempt to go vegetarian, but apparently didn't get it right for herself and developed terrible vertigo, so back to meat. I think it helps to make the transition young, when the body is adaptive. I do love my cats -- and they do love their meat.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
The second that Bacon becomes a vegetable...I'm in.

rs_500x281-140715124347-2014-07-15_12_35_49.gif

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but many of my meals are, and I know quite a few vegetarians and vegans. One thing I have noticed is there have been precious few - if any - fully vegetarian cultures that we know of historically. Cynacobalamin AKA Vitamin B12 is crucial for human health and does not occur in appreciable amounts in our food chain except in animal products. The only functional vegans I know have to supplement consistently with lab-made B12.

Reactions: BROBS and JOHN72

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but many of my meals are, and I know quite a few vegetarians and vegans. One thing I have noticed is there have been precious few - if any - fully vegetarian cultures that we know of historically. Cynacobalamin AKA Vitamin B12 is crucial for human health and does not occur in appreciable amounts in our food chain except in animal products. The only functional vegans I know have to supplement consistently with lab-made B12.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Yes, and it's lab-created B12 added to Nutritional yeast and the "fortified" products - it does not appear naturally. I know B12 does occur in some shrooms and other plants, but not to the degree as required by recommended daily intake.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I was vegetarian for 6 months years ago and gained weight. I had surgery and wasn't clotting. I was confused because I read a couple books and was monitoring Fe, protein, Zn, calories etc. I started eating meat again.

The only way I could see doing it would be to pretty much eat Indian every day. Salads n stuff don't do it for me at all. But this is a problem because the wife farts just looking at a legume. We can both eat meat.
if you eat legumes more regularly the farting stops. Sadly broccoli does not work this way.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Question: Why would someone think their diet would be of interest to others, other than their doctor or, maybe, immediate family?
2d Question: Why would a person care what other people, other than their children, eat?

Perhaps misery loves company and publicizing one's self-denial life style makes such easier to accept. Just wondering, not challenging.
because it's an extremely big part of life. What you eat and how you eat are a big part of how you live your life. If nothing else hearing how people eat has been a very enriching experience because it's changed and expanded the things that I eat. And if you spend time with someone it can be an extremely important thing to know about, even if just for socializing. If I wanted to invite some of the guys over for a smoke it would be helpful to know what limitations and tastes people have, because we will need to eat at some point. So you know it's kind of amazing that it's not talked about more often. Heck I don't even mind people who take pictures of everything they eat, I just wish they'd learn how to get a decent picture.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I eat healthy. Chicken, Turkey, and occasional fish for my meat and veggies for lunch and dinner. Egg whites and oatmeal with blueberries and pecans for breakfast. One plant based protein shake between lunch and dinner. Nothing processed. I usually eat this way everyday.
My personal opinion is that the vegan diet is lacking in certain areas.
If you are looking for a healthy non vegetarian diet follow as closely to the Mediterranean diet as you can.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
now that's just nonsense. All sense has been strangled out of this conversational thread and then unspeakable things have happened to it and then you left it in a ditch by the highway. So yeah pretty much what you said.
Guilty. The conversation will be fine, though. It'll eventually wake up, crawl out of the ditch, dust itself off and thumb a ride to page 4.

This has been a pretty calm thread, compared to if someone had posted it on Facebook.
It has always amazed me that someone could have such feelings about the human and animal, food relationship that they'd forgo eating any meat at all, just as I am amazed that hearing someone else doesn't want to eat meat can make a meat eater upset. I mean, it's not like someone is smoking tobacco out of a corncob or anything, sheesh. puffy

Status
Not open for further replies.