PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you are doing it wrong. Early morning pipe is supposed to mean something different to the wife than it means to you.
Not at all, I lost interest in that years ago. Early morning pipe for both of us is a cup of coffee and the pipes we packed before going to bed.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’d probably smoke more cobs if they had a bowl size that I prefer. They are either too small or too big for me. I still use them from time to time, I smoked them a lot more when I was just getting started. Nothing wrong with preferring cobs. I just saw a video with Bob Gregory of Samuel Gawith, one of his top three pipes is a cob.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I think the fact that you like cobs means you go to family reunions to pick up dates, you think overalls are leisure wear and you think “artisan pipes” mean indoor plumbing.

It’s simple, smoke cobs if you like them, smoke briar if you like it, smoke a pipe made of Morta or Meerschaum.

Do what YOU ENJOY.

Pipe smokers must be the most confused, least secure people on the planet.

Please don’t overthink smoking pipes. It’s not as complicated as you think. This reminds me of when The Dagners were really coming on with YouTube and their Shop. So many pretentious douchebags passed judgement on them, because of the way they talked and looked. FUCK THAT.

Just enjoy yourself and enjoy the three legged race.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I have about two dozen well broken in MM Legends that are a joy to smoke. For the first year of my pipe hobby I didn't smoke anything else. I do enjoy some briar pipes at this point but my cobs are the backbone of my pipe rotation. I'm not an expert when it comes to pipes but I know that my cobs are my best smokers.

Reactions: gamzultovah

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I’m not a corncob fan, and I do make a lot of corncob jokes. But, the important thing is whether YOU like them. Enjoy what you smoke and smoke what you enjoy.
And joke ‘em if they can’t take a f@ck.
Hah! I just finally looked at your current image more closely.... I had assumed (when it was smaller in size) that you were clenching a corncob just from its “look”. I see that it isn’t a cob. If you would, tell us more about that pipe.... it is interesting.

Your prior image (the one that was sort of a “cowboy” image with brim of your hat over your eyes while lounging..... that pipe I knew was a briar.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
10,000 hours. Report back when you are through.
That is 1.142 years of straight smoking! Hahaha, I wonder how many years that would actually take. I’ve been smoking for just about 11 years now and I seriously doubt I’ve smoked 10,000 hours yet but it’s a goal of mine, interesting thought to ponder. I’ve definitely put in that time and more playing the guitar though!

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
For me, I have tended to prefer briar pipes most (~95% of the time), but over the 40+ years of being a pipe smoker, I have probably had maybe 20 or so corncobs. For me, they have been used as more “disposable” short-term pipes.... most lasting a year or two at most (for me). But I have typically Ben a bit “tough” on my pipes.... and corncobs would end up falling apart for me over time.

I do know that many folks who (undoubtably) treat their pipes more gently can have cobs for decades. But, my only decade+ pipes are all briars.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I have few MM cobs. I do enjoy them with OTC blends. But, to me, briar is it. From my experience, briar smokes much easier. No stem in the chamber, easier cleaning. But I do have to say that peculiar taste from the cob is rather interesting.

Reactions: Chasing Embers