PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Wow, just....wow.
Happens. A couple of years ago, a very prominent collector died and his wife knew the pipes had value, but didn't know about the vintage tobacco. She called a friend of mine to help with selling the pipe collection, then blithely dumped approximately $40,000 worth of vintage tobacco down the trash chute. We're talking mid century Balkan Sobranie, 759, #10 Virginia, Garfinkle's, Sullivan & Powell, 1960's Dunhill blends, Craven Mixture, State Express, Three Nuns, and on, and on. Down the chute.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I made a couple of calls, found two bags of Peacehaven for $60 each. I've never smoked this blend but it is Virginia Flake so I bought it. Now I have to drive an hour to pick it up. Kind of feel like a moron.
Wow! I guess some B&M's are really charging for this stuff. I've generally paid in the upper $30's for mine from the B&M's I've used. I think Embers has paid in the low $30's with his local B&M.

I dunno, I've spent more money and time to satisfy my curiosity than $120 for a pound of Virginia flake and a couple of hours on the road. No real regrets, at least long lasting regrets.

Let me know if it's covered in apricot brandy, like almost all Germain's other Esoterica Virginias.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Wow! I guess some B&M's are really charging for this stuff. I've generally paid in the upper $30's for mine from the B&M's I've used. I think Embers has paid in the low $30's with his local B&M.
My B&M in Oregon charges $70 for a bag and $35ish for a tin. Excise tax here is 65% of wholesale, but there's more than tax in there. I can't say I blame them for wanting a profit.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My B&M in Oregon charges $70 for a bag and $35ish for a tin. Excise tax here is 65% of wholesale, but there's more than tax in there. I can't say I blame them for wanting a profit.
Nor I. But they wouldn't be making that profit from me. I like my tobaccos, but I have limits. Looming retirement and getting my son through college outrank spending on tobacco.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You know I'am just so happy I don't go chasing unicorns. It feels like a loss no matter how I play it. If I get it and like the stuff then I have one more thing to miss.
Increase supply to meet demand is the traditional solution. Or increase price if supply is fixed. Either one of the two is acceptable to align demand and supply. Problem solved, easy.
I suspect the sales would drop if it was easily available. I can't help but wonder if there is a planed lack of supply to create a situation where they know they can unload a ton at a specific date. Or it could be a matter outside their control. Like their leaf choice might not be as available as others are. Who knows.

Oct 7, 2016
I made a couple of calls, found two bags of Peacehaven for $60 each. I've never smoked this blend but it is Virginia Flake so I bought it. Now I have to drive an hour to pick it up. Kind of feel like a moron.
Indiana is a high OTP tax state. As is Illinois.

I dunno, I've spent more money and time to satisfy my curiosity than $120 for a pound of Virginia flake and a couple of hours on the road. No real regrets, at least long lasting regrets.

Let me know if it's covered in apricot brandy, like almost all Germain's other Esoterica Virginias.
I don’t find any of that. A light Virginia, likely topped with something for added sweetness, I recall Steve Richman saying it was flake Brighton. But that was many moons ago.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Grown married men in here talking about hiding your baccy from your wives :LOL: She's not your mommy, you're "allowed" to indulge yourself a little bit.
Which ties into a long standing question of mine: When did GCM (grown men crying) become acceptable?
I’m not old enough to be a genuine old fart, but every time I see a thread with a grown man pouting about not getting a tobacco he wanted I struggle to keep my geritol down.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Grown married men in here talking about hiding your baccy from your wives :LOL: She's not your mommy, you're "allowed" to indulge yourself a little bit.
I don’t hide my individual tobacco orders from my wife, but somehow it is a whole other thing to see it all sitting in one place! And my “cellar” is nowhere near as deep as some of the ones I’ve seen on the forum.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I don’t hide my individual tobacco orders from my wife, but somehow it is a whole other thing to see it all sitting in one place! And my “cellar” is nowhere near as deep as some of the ones I’ve seen on the forum.

Exactly.. Just like any other hobby, It is unnecessary and can become excessive. Same thing with if she took all the hair and beauty supplies and stacked them on the table.. she'd have that same feeling.

My wife certainly doesn't tell me what to do.. but there's no reason to rub her nose in my tobacco cellar. It doesn't ever hurt to show a little courtesy and respect.

I didn't see any crying on this thread.. maybe I just missed it. :cry:

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Which ties into a long standing question of mine: When did GCM (grown men crying) become acceptable?
I’m not old enough to be a genuine old fart, but every time I see a thread with a grown man pouting about not getting a tobacco he wanted I struggle to keep my geritol down.
When I see a baby crying in a post about grown men crying it makes me cry.

whats GCM? Dyslexic GMC?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Exactly.. Just like any other hobby, It is unnecessary and can become excessive. Same thing with if she took all the hair and beauty supplies and stacked them on the table.. she'd have that same feeling.

My wife certainly doesn't tell me what to do.. but there's no reason to rub her nose in my tobacco cellar. It doesn't ever hurt to show a little courtesy and respect.
Exactly. It’s one thing seeing the tobacco orders come in. It’s another for her to realize that it’s enough to fill a small Uhaul.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
+1 Mine has seen and admired the extent of my cellar and is cool. As long as we have the money it’s not an issue. She also knows that if/when things get tight pipes and tobacco have value and can be sold if necessary. It’s come to that on occasion but is rare.

OTOH, she does not spend money on herself at all and I have to convince her to.