PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have an 8oz penzance in a jar. Pretty sure it got mold. Think it’s impossible that it’s plume because it’s too fresh. It’s only in a few spots. Would you try to pick it out or trash it?

Send it to me for inspection! I'd pick it out if you're sure it's mold, and not bloom. If it's bloom, you're in like Flynn!

Photos!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Are all the blends really worth the hype? I mean really....
Dunbar, Tilbury, Dorchester, and Margate are tremendously good blends. Penzance is also quite good. The rest of them (including Stonehaven) IMO, are not worth either the price or the hype. That being said there are a couple I still have not tried, most notably Peacehaven and Cardiff.

GlassMan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2020
Tempe
Dunbar, Tilbury, Dorchester, and Margate are tremendously good blends. Penzance is also quite good. The rest of them (including Stonehaven) IMO, are not worth either the price or the hype. That being said there are a couple I still have not tried, most notably Peacehaven and Cardiff.
Ok, so I’m not the only one that loves tilbury and Dorchester? I feel like they fly under the radar (which I’m ok with)

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I have an 8oz penzance in a jar. Pretty sure it got mold. Think it’s impossible that it’s plume because it’s too fresh. It’s only in a few spots. Would you try to pick it out or trash it?

Esoterica is known for having plume, often right off the bat. This is because they age their tobacco longer than other brands; which is part of the reason they are popular. They are good-to-go right away. My first Stonehaven had white powder on it, and I was worried it was mold because it was my first time experiencing this. The white powder did not come off upon trying to rub it off, and it was not fuzzy, so I went with plume. (People here said that mold will be clearly fuzzy, can smell, and will come off easily if scraped.) Anyways, that Stonehaven was amazing. I still have some left. My second purchase of Stonehaven was average, and I'm guessing that Stonehaven with plume was a really good batch. The plume could have added to it being so good as well.

My local B&M once threw out the rest of their Blackpool (they sell the bulk Esoterica in 2 ounce portions, in clear plastic bags) after discovering "mold." Now, I don't know if it truly was mold, because Esoterica tobaccos often have plume or develop it quickly. However, one of my opened tins of Dunbar did actually develop mold. It was clearly fuzzy white mold like those Halloween spider web decorations. But the key was that it had been opened, and was just sitting in the tin, so moisture could have gotten in there and just sat.

The photo you provided looks like plume. In fact, it looks like that first batch of Stonehaven I got. But I can't guarantee what it is. Take Jimink's advice above.

GlassMan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2020
Tempe
Thanks for the advice guys. I wish I would have put it in two different jars so maybe part of it would be unaffected. I’ve had guaranteed mold on a C&D blend before, this does look different indeed.

Reactions: ofafeather

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Thanks for the advice guys. I wish I would have put it in two different jars so maybe part of it would be unaffected. I’ve had guaranteed mold on a C&D blend before, this does look different indeed.
I’ve seen a lot of esoterica, particularly in bags, with plume that looks a lot like that. Follow the advice above to be sure, but if I was a bettin man I’d say you’re good to go.

GlassMan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2020
Tempe
Any reason smokingpipes was not included in this “drop”?
I was actually floored. I set a notification for Balkan sobranie (the easiest blend to get in my opinion) I was notified, in amazement I went to see if it was still available some hours later. At 9:08 am on Friday Arizona time, They still had Dorchester, Tilbury, And so to bed, and Dunbar (tins) but by the time I made up my mind on whether I really needed any more, it was gone.

Sparks317

Lurker
Jun 24, 2020
Indianapolis
Ok. So I guess the next question is why I never got an email on any of the alerts I set. I guess i am done with them.
I’m pretty sure their “email me” function is a first come first serve sort of thing. You’ll get a email probably in a year or two for one of their drops. When your “number” comes up in the list of emails to send alerts too. That’s Atleast how i imagine it works.