PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
LOL Understood. I like guns, I enjoy shooting guns for fun and I feel comfortable having guns around for self defense. But I am not a gun aficionado by any stretch. I stand corrected. Let's be clear though, I do know how to get whatever the f$#k it is called out of the pistol and a freshly loaded back into it.
It's okay. You can call it a clip. You'll be the one who technically is correct. (I love stirring this pot.)

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Living in England I'm not allowed to own a firearm, they are most definitely verboten.
If I lived in America I'd definitely have a gun, no doubt about it. Although from what I've read different states can have very different laws when it comes to this sort of thing. I think I read that New York is quite strict on gun control.
New York isn’t a free state.

jerryskid47

Lurker
Feb 20, 2020
Washington DC
I only wish I caught the pipe bug long before I caught the gun bug.

I'm a big H&K and Sig fan. My P228 and P220 West Germans are two of my favorites, and I really dig my Legions. I came across two old P9S (one in 9mm, one in .45), I'll eventually get those over to the gunsmith for a full restore someday. I have a Kimber 10mm that's been hard chromed, so it goes great with a shoulder rig, and a tuxedo.

Reactions: Reggie

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I had to edit this post because I totally misread something. Are you intentionally trying to start a dead horse-beating contest? ?
Gun owners are a lot like fishermen with their jargon...always 5 different interpretations for the same word. What's a plastic bait in fishing? It's a rubber worm...go figure...that debate could go on for weeks.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Because he's talking about a detachable magazine which is by definition a clip.
Sorry but it’s still an incorrect term.

there are many different types of magazines. Some attached. Some detachable. There are many different types of clips. Some go in the firearm, some feed the rounds into an internal magazine. Some feed to an external magazine.

the two terms do not overlap except maybe with the en-block clip of a M1 Garand.

Reactions: cossackjack

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Gun owners are a lot like fishermen with their jargon...always 5 different interpretations for the same word. What's a plastic bait in fishing? It's a rubber worm...go figure...that debate could go on for weeks.
Nope there is only one correct interpretation of those terms I posted it above.

Reactions: cossackjack

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I can call a car a flaming fart-ball device but that’s not the correct term either.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
the two terms do not overlap except maybe with the en-block clip of a M1 Garand.
No, it still stands there as well, IMO. There is an internal magazine that is fed from the en bloc clip.

I refuse to be sucked into the abyss of the magazine/clip argument though! I’m done! Backing away slowly now... ?

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
No, it still stands there as well, IMO. There is an internal magazine that is fed from the en bloc clip.

I refuse to be sucked into the abyss of the magazine/clip argument though! I’m done! Backing away slowly now... ?
I know it’s still a clip I’m saying that’s the closest there is to one in the same. And it’s still not one in the same.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I never said they were one and the same. I merely said by definition it is a clip.

clip
n
1. Any of various devices for gripping or holding things together; a clasp or fastener.

I would never call an integral magazine, such as tubular magazine on many guns, a clip.

I had to edit this post because I totally misread something. Are you intentionally trying to start a dead horse-beating contest? ?

Indeed. However it's not so much that I'm endeavoring to flog an expired equine as I am attempt to just provide @BROBS with some general flack. (I hope he's smiled at this whole thing as much as I have.)

Now for a little discourse on a few things I find interesting:

1. The term clip can be applied by definition in certain instances but many people object to this. Yet these same people will call the well on an M1 a magazine when, without the en bloc clip, it does not meet the definition of magazine. In other words, by technical definition, the clip is what makes it a magazine in this instance.

2. The whole uproar over calling a detachable boxed magazine a clip seems, to me, to have become noticeably more prominent after the advent of the internet, or more specifically wikipedia, to an almost fervent level.

3. The whole thing is really just a matter of rhetoric which is a subject I find simultaneously fascinating and frustrating.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have a few modern pieces for social applications, but my real love is old. bolt action military surplus rifles.

Königliche Waffen Schmieden, during the first century of their life, would have to be my favorite.

Of modern producers, I seem to get a lot of mileage from Ruger.

1588870275153.png

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My first shotgun was a single shot break action H&R 20 gauge. Traded it to my brother for a Remington 870 Wingmaster so he could give it to his son. My nephew still has it. I should see if I can buy it back from him.
I have a family heirloom 12 gauge single shot made in 1900 with a brass body. Been used heavily by every owner but babied so much it looks brand new.

Status
Not open for further replies.