PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Best defensive pistol brands: Glock & Sig
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but in the decades and decades my wife and I have been shooting S&W pistols (not revolvers), and over the years I've owned probably 20 of them, and my wife has owned probably 13 or 14 over the years, we've never had one jam and we've only had one stovepipe on a 380. Had a couple of squib loads, but that of course is an ammo issue. Glocks these days are all plastic as well. Sigs are good though, so I will give you that much.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but in the decades and decades my wife and I have been shooting S&W pistols (not revolvers), and over the years I've owned probably 20 of them, and my wife has owned probably 13 or 14 over the years, we've never had one jam and we've only had one stovepipe on a 380. Had a couple of squib loads, but that of course is an ammo issue. Glocks these days are all plastic as well. Sigs are good though, so I will give you that much.
Any polymer pistol is similar they are not all plastic by any means they just have a removable frame.

there is no S&W pistol that can match what the other two brands have to offer. I like S&W but would never buy one of those horrid locking revolvers and their auto pistols leave a lot to be desired. I have a 686-2 and it’s a tack driver.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Best defensive pistol brands: Glock & Sig

This.

I watched way too many Glock torture test videos to ever want anything else. I’d prefer not to say how many I own. Not because of big brother, but because my wife may stumble across this eventually.

My favorite pistol that I own, however, is my Sig Emperor Scorpion in 10mm.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
The father of a good friend of mine brought a Luger 9mm back from WWII. It's stamped date is 1941.

Outside of a Colt Python .22 built on a .357 frame with a 9-inch barrel, that Luger is still the most accurate pistol I've ever shot.

gatorhazard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2020
I have several semi auto pistols including a S&W M&P 22C that is just fun for shooting at the range. I have a Glock 23 Gen 3 (40 cal) that I have owned for over two decades. Thousands of rounds down the pipe, never a jam, only a few rounds that did not fire (ammo issue). Love it, will never sell it, pray it lasts forever. I also have a conversion barrel for it and can shoot 9mm out of it as well so its cheaper for range fun. I/we also have a Glock 42 (wife's) and its good for a pocket rocket if need to dress light in summer but you have to break them in good and practice with them so as not to ride the slide and cause a malfunction or limp wrist it and cause a malfunction (I shoot it fine, my wife has some operator induced errors at times she prefers the next one I will discuss):

Its been mentioned a few times already but yeah, 686 is a rest at ease type of gun. I/we have a 4 inch 668 plus 7 shot 357 revolver and it gets a lot of love. It is a great shooter, plus its good for people who don't practice or shoot often, it won't "jam" on you from operator induced error. Nice and heavy, soaks up and dampens a good amount of recoil, and if push comes to shove it makes a good club being that its made out of stainless steel.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
Because it hasn't been mentioned I will go Walther. My PPQ has been exceptional. The ergonomics on the Walther were far superior to Glock for my hands, ymmv. I just shoot it better. Also, the PPQ trigger is great for a striker fired pistol. Shit hits the fan, I grab the Walther. For other uses I have other preferences. For example, my Buckmark is my squirrel hunting favorite.

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
My carry pieces a Charter Arms Undercover model in .38 caliber and a Ruger LCPII. Charter Arms is probably not anyone's favorite but it goes bang when I pull trigger and I'm not worried about it getting scratched or nicked or being submerged if I capsize my canoe, and that has happened. The Ruger is a nice size for carrying in the pocket of a cycling jersey. That is why I purchased it.
My favorite manufacturer, and this is based of sentiment, is S&W. I have four hand me down S&W's, a model 10 in .38 caliber and a model 36 2' barrel chief's special, model 29 .44 caliber, and a model 66 .357. These were my fathers, he carried the model 10 and model 36 on the beat and as a detective during the 50's and 60's. My favorite of all the firearms he passed on to me is a Colt 1911 that he carried through Roi-Namar, Tinian and Saipan.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
My carry pieces a Charter Arms Undercover model in .38 caliber and a Ruger LCPII. Charter Arms is probably not anyone's favorite but it goes bang when I pull trigger and I'm not worried about it getting scratched or nicked or being submerged if I capsize my canoe, and that has happened. The Ruger is a nice size for carrying in the pocket of a cycling jersey. That is why I purchased it.
My favorite manufacturer, and this is based of sentiment, is S&W. I have four hand me down S&W's, a model 10 in .38 caliber and a model 36 2' barrel chief's special, model 29 .44 caliber, and a model 66 .357. These were my fathers, he carried the model 10 and model 36 on the beat and as a detective during the 50's and 60's. My favorite of all the firearms he passed on to me is a Colt 1911 that he carried through Roi-Namar, Tinian and Saipan.
I have a model 10 and 29 in my collection...nice old guns.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Living in England I'm not allowed to own a firearm, they are most definitely verboten.
If I lived in America I'd definitely have a gun, no doubt about it. Although from what I've read different states can have very different laws when it comes to this sort of thing. I think I read that New York is quite strict on gun control.

Reactions: edger and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.