PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Living in England I'm not allowed to own a firearm, they are most definitely verboten.
If I lived in America I'd definitely have a gun, no doubt about it. Although from what I've read different states can have very different laws when it comes to this sort of thing. I think I read that New York is quite strict on gun control.
You are correct, different states can have drastically different laws. You mention NY as strict, on the other side of the coin, I live in the county just north of the ninth most heavily armed county in the country, Randolph County NC. It is also one of the least gang-infected counties in the state...perhaps because of that? (Gang Count) In fact, most gang activity occurs in counties where gun restrictions are greatest in NC.

Sewage Pipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 15, 2019
For rifles I don't really care about the brand, have had no problems with any I've owned. Now for pistols, sig sauer seems to make everything looks so dam pretty and I have now neglected all my other calibers since I got my sig sauer emperor scorpion20200424_165745.jpg 1911.(custom etched maple handguards)

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Because it hasn't been mentioned I will go Walther. My PPQ has been exceptional. The ergonomics on the Walther were far superior to Glock for my hands, ymmv. I just shoot it better. Also, the PPQ trigger is great for a striker fired pistol. Shit hits the fan, I grab the Walther. For other uses I have other preferences. For example, my Buckmark is my squirrel hunting favorite.
Totally agree. By far the best trigger of any of my guns, both striker fired and da/sa. Glocks are great, totally dependable and easily modifiable. But the walther is the most shootable. I have the m1 with the mag release on the trigger guard and it works well for me. I use it when working private security.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I love Colt and Smith & Wesson. Colt for the 1911 (especially the Commercial and 70 Series) and the New Service .44 Special. I love the N Frame Smiths, especially in .44 Special. My favorites being a limited run by Lew Horton, the 24 (.44 Special) with a 3" barrel and round butt grip frame, and the Model 27 3.5" barrel, the FBI model.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Throw in my pocket, always dependable
BCzjW1b.jpg
. Piss me off
TtKooXj.jpg
lets go...

tom12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2011
Well, not allowed guns in the UK but I can get swords! I have two antique ones that I bought a few months ago, the top one is a service sharpened M1898 (1905) Dutch Klewang by Luneschloss of Solingen, later developed into the American made M1941 Klewang that was used by the US navy. It has seen a fair bit of use, may have been used in the Malay Emergency, where they found that this type of sword was more useful than a firearm because of the dense jungle, so a lot of close quater combat.

The bottom one is Moles of Birmigham and is a 1895 pattern infantry officers sword, most likely from an Indian regiment, not service sharpened so would not have seen any action and is more designed for stabbing rather than slashing. While I should really choose this one because it was made in the city where I live I actually prefer the top one, if things where to go sideways thats the one I would go for. So Luneschloss of Solingen is my favorite arms manufactuer to date.

I know a lot of Americans love their firearms but why not the same thing with swords? They don't run out of ammunition, can last for centuries and you can pretend to be a pirate or an 18th Century Hussar.
swords.jpg

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Well, not allowed guns in the UK but I can get swords! I have two antique ones that I bought a few months ago, the top one is a service sharpened M1898 (1905) Dutch Klewang by Luneschloss of Solingen, later developed into the American made M1941 Klewang that was used by the US navy. It has seen a fair bit of use, may have been used in the Malay Emergency, where they found that this type of sword was more useful than a firearm because of the dense jungle, so a lot of close quater combat.

The bottom one is Moles of Birmigham and is a 1895 pattern infantry officers sword, most likely from an Indian regiment, not service sharpened so would not have seen any action and is more designed for stabbing rather than slashing. While I should really choose this one because it was made in the city where I live I actually prefer the top one, if things where to go sideways thats the one I would go for. So Luneschloss of Solingen is my favorite arms manufactuer to date.

I know a lot of Americans love their firearms but why not the same thing with swords? They don't run out of ammunition, can last for centuries and you can pretend to be a pirate or an 18th Century Hussar.
View attachment 28410
Nice collection brother! Nice change of pace also;)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I like the fit/feel of the Springfield XD-M and I prefer their safety system. I have 2 9mm with the 19 shot clips. I have 1 XD-S for concealed/car carry. I have a somewhat customized Ruger AR 15 and a Mossberg tactical 12 gage shotgun. And a couple of other pistols. I have a CZ 9 mm that is my favorite to shoot but it is heavy and I don't care for the safety system. It is a finely made weapon though.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Any safety setup is a bad one. Double action or single action with some type of trigger lock out or other intuitive safety is the only way to go.

Reactions: crawdad

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I like the fit/feel of the Springfield XD-M and I prefer their safety system. I have 2 9mm with the 19 shot clips. I have 1 XD-S for concealed/car carry. I have a somewhat customized Ruger AR 15 and a Mossberg tactical 12 gage shotgun. And a couple of other pistols. I have a CZ 9 mm that is my favorite to shoot but it is heavy and I don't care for the safety system. It is a finely made weapon though.
Sorry I had to
805B9AE3-AF42-41EC-9769-750C9A9867CB.png

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Enquiring minds need to know which one and what don’t you like in the safety set up?

It's a manual safety. I am an above average shooter but I don't practice regularly for self defense situations. I don't want to be caught in a situation where the weapon is needed and not have training or practice with the safety and be unsure about it. It is the P-07. It's not the fault of the gun, it is my own weakness. Aside from the safety difference, my intuition is it is a better constructed gun than the Springfield. If I were a police officer or military, I would prefer the CZ as I would have the training to be very familiar with it. It is in a gun vault where I can access it if need be in that area of the house.

IMG_1803.jpg

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
LOL Understood. I like guns, I enjoy shooting guns for fun and I feel comfortable having guns around for self defense. But I am not a gun aficionado by any stretch. I stand corrected. Let's be clear though, I do know how to get whatever the f$#k it is called out of the pistol and a freshly loaded back into it.
Lol just fuckin around. I had a good buddy who always said that too. It’s really semantics as everyone knows exactly what you mean.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
It's a manual safety. I am an above average shooter but I don't practice regularly for self defense situations. I don't want to be caught in a situation where the weapon is needed and not have training or practice with the safety and be unsure about it. It is the P-07. It's not the fault of the gun, it is my own weakness. Aside from the safety difference, my intuition is it is a better constructed gun than the Springfield. If I were a police officer or military, I would prefer the CZ as I would have the training to be very familiar with it. It is in a gun vault where I can access it if need be in that area of the house.

View attachment 28946
Totally agree, I lucked out and found CZ 75 Compact PCR with decocker, so first shot is double action and I am ok with that.
Really like the P-07!

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'm not sure I could pick one to be a favorite but if forced I would say a tie between H&K and Colt.

I love my Colt revolvers and even my Mustang. I love (almost) all of my H&K handguns and rifles but I have a couple of handguns that are troublesome which I find more disappointing than annoying. I have yet to shoot any full auto that compares to an H&K MP5 though.

That being said there are a ton of fantastic manufacturers that have been mentioned here (though I can't help but notice all of the glockheads nana ). (I kid, I have one as well.)

My personal defense weapon is a Springfield XD-S Mod2 .45.

For anyone who likes the "old west" in but not the price associated with some of the authentic stuff that's available I recommend checking out Uberti. Their triggers could be a little smoother but their overall quality is great. I have a falling block .45-70 with a heavy octagon barrel that is super fun to shoot.

Savage is one of the most underrated/best values out there. I have a 93R with a heavy barrel with their AccuTrigger in .17 HMR I bought on sale at Big5 years ago that is an absolute tack driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.