PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I have a strong reaction to a number of Joe Lankford's blends, unfortunately. They all have a similar saccharine thing going on. Here's a sample from my notes upon tasting Hood Canal, for example: "thought it was okay at first, definitely nutty, then overwhelmed by the sweet, cloying odor, the hot empty flavor, and the bad ashy, cigarettey aftertaste; had to chase it with a real Balkan just to get the shitty taste out of my mouth; rejected."

Also Black House, I am sorry to say. Tastes and smells like kimchi, which I know many people adore, but which I think smells like hot garbage. I have to leave the room.
Also I think the modern iteration of Escudo is suitable only for convicts.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Autumn Evening... delicate maple flavor... not so much. It's like a sugar free syrup grass soup in the bowl. I'm new yes but like much of what I'm puffing so far such as Navy Flakes, Englishes, and more. Fresh plumb pudding not so much, but letting it age a bit and still it's far better fresh than A.E.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Without a doubt, it's Germain's version of Balkan Sobranie - gasoline infused puppy farts. Holly's Non Plus Ultra, for which the makers should be tried for crimes against humanity.
Regarding the McClelland ketchup, that's the acetic acid used as an mold fighting agent. It evaporates off. And if you don't want to deal with it, just open a tin a week or two before you're going to smoke it, vent the tin for a minute or two every day for that week or two, and the ketchup goes away, leaving the very fine Virginia ready to be enjoyed sans ketchup.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
The thing about most shit blends is that there's always someone who likes it and defends it. But Holly's Non Plus Ultra has zero defenders. I've never actually seen a tin of it for sale, but based on it's reputation it seems like it exists solely to annoy people. It's like a parlor-trick that one only smokes on a dare just to say "you're right, it sucks".

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Holly's Non Plus Ultra, for which the makers should be tried for crimes against humanity.
The thing about most shit blends is that there's always someone who likes it and defends it. But Holly's Non Plus Ultra has zero defenders. I've never actually seen a tin of it for sale, but based on it's reputation it seems like it exists solely to annoy people. It's like a parlor-trick that one only smokes on a dare just to say "you're right, it sucks".
O ye of little faith: my review of HNPU

Reactions: hawky454 and rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I think I'm one of the few that might would actually like Holly's NPU... I like every Lakeland I've ever tried, the soapier the better. A forum member is sending me the remaining contents of his tin of the second most despised blend ever made, Elwood's #2 Flake, and I'm pretty stoked to find out just how weird my tastebuds really are!

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Regarding the McClelland ketchup, that's the acetic acid used as an mold fighting agent.

It's a topic people fight over. Pease argues vinegar doesn't prevent tobacco mold, otherwise everyone would use it. Some argue the smell is a result of fermentation itself (which I say is preposterous because if that were true all aged VA blends would smell like that).

I've never read an proper explanation from the McNeils about the origin of their infamous ketchup, have you?

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Idk... I'd have to try it to know if I like it that much. 8oz is the most I've layed up of any single blend and I don't think that counts as hoarding around here.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's a topic people fight over. Pease argues vinegar doesn't prevent tobacco mold, otherwise everyone would use it. Some argue the smell is a result of fermentation itself (which I say is preposterous because if that were true all aged VA blends would smell like that).

I've never read an proper explanation from the McNeils about the origin of their infamous ketchup, have you?
From the McNeils? No. From a few other peopleworking in the tobacco industry. That smell was instantly recognizable to me, having spent hundreds of hours in a darkroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.