PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
If my wife ever...it would look like this.
200.webp

mikey517

Lurker
Jul 27, 2019
NJ
I've been married to my wife for 40 years. We both quit smoking in '79 before our kids were born. She has been through my "obsessions" (many Martin guitars, electric guitars & amps, chainsaws and other power equipment). We always joked that when I turned 70, I was gonna start smoking, but I couldn't see going back to cigarretts. Inheriting my grandfathers Willards got me going. I don't hide my stash or the pipes - and she's OK with it. It's a lot cheaper than my past "disorders!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There is an obsessive compulsive dimension to this and other interests and hobbies that might alarm your spouse. One woman in my town wrote a letter to the editor accusing the local pipe shop of alienation of affection. Her husband spent a lot of time at the pipe shop and had accumulated 200 pipes. I think I encountered him there one time, and he did seem a little distracted and preoccupied. Keep the pipes in perspective. Maybe include your wife by describing and discussing the pipes and tobacco a little bit. Don't overdo it until her eyes glaze. But if she feels you want to include her, that may make it feel less oppositional. If she could buy you a pipe gift at some point, that would be affirming.

• Haha
Reactions: orlandofurioso

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
Ohh..Rich Dark Honeydew...one of my favourites and only five tins left. If you've not had it before, you're in for a treat.

Reactions: spartacus

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm lucky. I take a tin of tobacco from one of my consignors and place it on top of my personal stash. The wife comes in and says "I can't believe you're spending all of OUR money on pipe tobacco!" I reply, "Honey, that's my consignors tobacco" as I point toward my consignor's tin. She apologizes and walks off. Hey, I wasn't lying.
Mine buys most of my pipes and tobacco.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
My partner recently was doing a "bit" of reorganizing in the house when she had a couple of days off, and she had a good look at my stash in my cabinet. She brought it up in conversation yesterday and said " I guess you're regretting how much tobacco you have down there" and "you'll never get through all that in 20 years". I gave her a look as though she was crazy and I told her "sure I will" and went on to explain about the coming tobacco apocalypse, and one day in the near future, we won't be able to order it online and that will be that. She didn't say anything but I could see her thoughts written all over her face. "Good" is what was plainly written there. She's a fanatical vegan, and health nut and omg, some days...
It's best that she doesn't know about my other stash is all I can say.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
My partner recently was doing a "bit" of reorganizing in the house when she had a couple of days off, and she had a good look at my stash in my cabinet. She brought it up in conversation yesterday and said " I guess you're regretting how much tobacco you have down there" and "you'll never get through all that in 20 years". I gave her a look as though she was crazy and I told her "sure I will" and went on to explain about the coming tobacco apocalypse, and one day in the near future, we won't be able to order it online and that will be that. She didn't say anything but I could see her thoughts written all over her face. "Good" is what was plainly written there. She's a fanatical vegan, and health nut and omg, some days...
It's best that she doesn't know about my other stash is all I can say.
Bacon? :LOL:

Reactions: mau1

eslavs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2019
Sarasota, Florida
My wife just recently saw my stash....and told me I had an obsession, to which I didn't disagree. But, in her mind, it's cheaper than guns or guitars, so I'm good.

Reactions: mau1
Status
Not open for further replies.