Your Most Expensive Pipe, and Why You Paid So Much

(101 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Embers
  • Latest reply from condorlover1
  1. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

No prices please, but with recent discussions of over the top prices paid for pipes, show the ones that you paid the most for, and give reasons why you decided to do so. They don't have to be over the top, I remember in my twenties thinking that a pipe over $30 was ridiculous. Here's mine. Third commission in with Bruce, and had been admiring blowfish for sometime.

Bruce Weaver Fugu Blowfish

It takes a special block to make a proper fugu blowfish. It should be straight grain, with as little flaws as possible. The carving is done crossgrain and the shape asymmetrical. A portion of Bruce Weaver's work is donated to Bright Stone, and he's a great guy and friend.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

That's easy. Mine is this unsmoked Barling companion set made in 1907. With my interest in pipe history, the history of the British pipe industry and Barling in particular I couldn't resist the exceptionally rare opportunity to own this set.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Gorgeous set Jesse. Been meaning to get my hands on a Barling.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think this G grade Oom Paul is my most expensive pipe, I think it was just a hair over 400 bucks.

Nice blast, nice shape, it was my second Castello, and full bents are a favorite of mine.

It's a great pipe, super light piece of briar and just a lovely smoker.

and that's about top dollar for me, I think I'm pushing up against the "how nice can a pipe smoke" envelope here.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gorgeous Jesse! Absolutely gorgeous. I see a set like that and ... no, no, I'm not going on the net looking for pipes. I haven't the guts. Or, the knowledge.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

. A portion of Bruce Weaver's work is donated to Bright Stone
    I did not know that. Way to go Bruce!

Here's mine. Basically, I had been wanting both a claw meer and a dragon meer for some time, never quite finding one that really spoke to me. And those that did speak to me were often out of the range I could afford at the time. And then this one popped up, both claw and dragon meer all in one. And it was for a price I couldn't turn down as I just happened to actually have that much on hand... which is extremely rare. I decided another one like it wasn't likely to come around when I could afford it, so I jumped on it. ">

And I made a video of it too with the music, Mercy In Darkness and Mountains From Water by Two Steps From Hell (it's like movie score music). Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu_FsogWo6Q&index=1&list=PL9YviwW2ShM8KY1YbVbFmRmNgon-9yjBo

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Castello is gorgeous and the Barling set a heart-stopper! Only some women are as beautiful!

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Anthony, that claw us why a Yanik skull has been gnawing at me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unsmoked, Sablebrush? Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang!

Squatch that Castello is just dripping class.

The Castello is gorgeous and the Barling set a heart-stopper! Only some women are as beautiful!
    Well, now that's just weird...

You already know what I think of your Weavers, Duane. And that one in particular is well.... only some women are as beautiful...

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very Large Parks, 8.5 inches long, 3 inches tall, bought from a forum member here for 1100$, too big for him, he bought it new.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Nice looking pipes! Brad, I thought you said that you never paid more than $50 for a pipe...

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My goodness, Bradley that is lovely!

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jess the only one I ever paid over 50$

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I can't see Brad's pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jess the only one I ever paid over 50$
    I need to take lessons from you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some lovely pipes in this thread. The craftsmanship is amazing.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brad, that pipe of yours has a mirror-like finish; wow. My most expensive pipe is a sandblasted cutty/dublin shape that I have commissioned from Michael Parks --- it will look something like this:>

I won't get it until Christmas 2018... but somethings are worth saving/waiting for.

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. leatherman

leatherman

Login to Send PM

This is my first and most expensive pipe. A Nording Great Dane freehand. I paid so much because the lady at the tobacconist shop is a great salesman!

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The most I ever paid for a pipe was $550. It was a Dunhill group 3 red bark. After it arrived, I was underwhelmed.It seemed small and cheap. I tried selling it but no takers for even $295. Eventually, someone on this site traded me an unsmoked Castello Rhodesian for it.

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Okay, Brad's bent billiard is now showing up. Man, that is a pretty thing!

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. jayski

jayski

Login to Send PM

Beautiful grain in that there Blow Fish!

@Lasttango New to the pipe smoking hobby I have spent many hours looking through EBay and Smokingpipes.com trying to build a good rotation. I have played many times at the idea of owning a Dunhill, after all they are a pipe carving Legend. I have refrained thus far from pulling the trigger on such a purchase due to the fact that I would like to smoke many other carvers and shapes to really make sure I appreciate such a pipe. It seems to me that expectations are the biggest let down in life and why would it be any different in a hobby such as this. In retrospect I believe its the chase of a new pipe that makes it exciting. The reception and first use is like the thrill of gambling. The odds are better in some cases that you may have a winner and some not. The only thing better than the search for a wonderful pipe is a wonderful weed at the end of a long day and good meal.

"[Kipling] sees clearly that men can only be highly civilized while other men, inevitably less civilized, are there to guard and feed them."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My most expensive pipe is a Parks. The reason I paid so much is because it's what he said I had to pay if I wanted him to make the pipe I asked him to make.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Growley that I won.

Jason
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My most expensive pipe is a Ryan Alden smooth Rhodesian. I purchased it because Ryan really doesn't make too many smooth pipes, it's his highest grade and it's an just gorgeous. I may seek counseling for my man-crush.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Gamboni pipe is my most expensive pipe at $500 even. I enjoy it but not as much as my middle range pipes, I’m just too worried about breaking it, so I only smoke it in safe conditions.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pretty sure my most expensive "new" pipe is the 4♧ Becker Dublin.
    Some pipes I've bought as estates MAY have been more expensive when they were new.

That said, some of my favorite smokers cost a hell of a lot less.

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If someone could identify the last two tasty-looking tobacco blends, I would be most grateful.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

A Rinaldo Lithos Silver Line (SL-8) (KKK) rusticated squat bulldog. A previous Rinaldo acquisition impressed me so much that I was easy prey when this one came along in my favorite shape, with all the right dimensions for me. $347, which is about as high as I'd go for a factory pipe (I think.)

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A Castello Old Antiquari Freehand Bent Dublin. I saw this pipe at the NASPC Show in Columbus this year and thought "It's the perfect pipe!" I loved the size, shape, blast, and bit on this one. I handled it several times, but didn't buy it. After months of not being able to get it out of my mind, I called the shop and they still had it. After a bit of haggling, I pulled the trigger, and I'm glad I did!

Tim

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Really interesting original post and thread. I want to go back and study it more. I've never shot the moon on a pipe. My fascination has been applying fierce shopping to finding the best smoking pipes at the lowest possible prices. This often involves long-term roving online and spotting special discounts and sales. My likely highest priced pipe, a Ferndown, was sent to me by a Forums member. My highest priced purchase was a Ser Jacopo blast Dublin with a serpentine shank and stem that I bought on sale from SPC for (as I recall) PRICE DELETED per original post ... couldn't touch it today. My wild abandon was because I'd made the sale of a literary work and wanted to celebrate. SPC lived up to the moment in offering this. A recent purchase was a Tsuge "tasting pipe," a full size blast straight billiard, at PC for $39.99, which exhibits all of the fit and finish of their considerably more expensive lines.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Some real beauties showing up here. Loving the stories behind them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@deathmetal I'm 99% sure the tobacco in my pic is Gawith Best Brown.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The most expensive pipe I have ever owned was this Former Dublin. It had a retail of 960.00 back in 1999 or 2000. I of course never paid that price( paid 240.00 worth of Cuban cigars for it).

My most expensive pipe is this Rad Davis Calabash(450.00).

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

headhunter

Login to Send PM

I have many expensive pipes. Why do I buy them ? Because I like them and can afford to buy them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

jguss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Two excellent reasons headhunter

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How much? $500

Why did I pay so much?

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 1 year ago #
  37. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Those are all fantastic pipes, but you should all be ashamed of yourselves (for being able to post pics when us technically challenged folks are unable to).

My most expensive is the Baki in my avatar, but you'll just have to use a magnifying glass if you want a closer look.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  38. ron123

ron123

Login to Send PM

By Scott Klein. Not my most expensive pipe, but it's based on a really expensive pipe (Lars Ivarsson)

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't have the funds for buying expensive pipes, and I haven't ever spent $100 or more. My most expensive is a Ser Jacopo Picta Magritte, which I paid $90 for as an estate pipe. Why? I really like the Picta pipe series as I love the art that they represent. Way out of my price range for new and even the used pipes of these series. It had a few dings, scrapes, and the top of the bowl was messed up, but I still love it and it smokes great!

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  40. cynicismandsugar

Jeffrey Deal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Technically, the most expensive pipe in my collection is a Castello Collection Great Line Bent Dublin (5) (KKKK); but I didn't pay the retail value.

The Deities of the Leaf smile down upon the Faithful, perhaps, once in a jitter-monkey's lifetime.

A local pipe collector (and retired doctor) likes to trade certain pipes in his collection for store credit; you know, when he's not enjoying the smoke, is bored, tired of looking at it, etc... or if he's just never smoked it, and has lost interest... (regardless of my misleading description, he's quite a nice gentleman).

This particular shop has a 50% resale value of the suggested retail of a pipe that they sell as an 'estate.' Most of the pipes are in a condition that half the retail cost is reasonable, other times it's over-priced, but sometimes you get a deal.

Some young gentleman bought the unsmoked Castello at the estate price; however, when he got it home, his wife was not pleased with his good fortune, so he attempted to return it back to the shop. Well, estates usually have an 'as is' sell's policy, but the shop worked something out with the second owner.

Now, here's where it gets interesting: since the pipe was already sold as an estate at half retail, the shop resold it at half the previous estate price. So, basically, a Costello Great Line--complete with original sock, box, and paperwork--was selling for 25% the retail cost.

I was in the right place at the right time; I smoked a sacrificial bowl of Early Morning Pipe in praise to the pipe gods for their blessings.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I have many expensive pipes. Why do I buy them ? Because I like them and can afford to buy them.

Not quite what the thread is about. Talking about the ones that went above what you would normally consider paying, and why you decided to do that. No prices please though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My most expensive pipe is in transit. I bought one of Foggy’s Dunhills for my 40th bday. Seemed fitting to buy something out of my price range. It’s an Amber Root Prince 4407.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

My most expensive pipe is in transit. I bought one of Foggy’s Dunhills for my 40th bday. Seemed fitting to buy something out of my price range. It’s an Amber Root Prince 4407.

4407 is a great author shape. Foggy had a great collection, and a great piece for your birthday!

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

A Blatter rhodesian commission as I was unable to get a GBD 9438 or 9242.

I also had one sandblasted straight rhodesian pipe made for a bit less, like warships they look better when paired.

Those two are my most expensive but they look very nice to me and more importantly, smoke like a dream.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Blatter turns out so many lovely pieces. Didn't realize they did commissions, going to have to remember that!

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

chasingembers

They have that old school feel, their store is a piece of pipe making history. Those three gentlemen are always there for their customers, Montreal wouldn't be the same without them. The prices are quite affordable, especially for our US neighbors and also for Euro paying Europeans.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the tip. May look them up for a yacht shape commission.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here it is bigger. Not much bigger, admittedly.

Did you try another browser?

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  49. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jayski :

I have played many times at the idea of owning a Dunhill, after all they are a pipe carving Legend.

All of your comment was quotable, but this part stood out for me.
    I felt the very same way in the first year I found this forum which coincided with my first year of piping.
    Consequently, I did find 'the hunt' for good pipe values on the auction site to be a focus of my attention for many happy hours.
    A Dunhill was won for $67.00, and it was not in bad shape, except that the stem didn't have a dot. It was a replacement.
    That wouldn't do. I read up on replacement stems for Dunhill and found that there was one 'certified' Dunhill replacement guy and I sent the pipe to him for the 'real deal'. The 'real deal' cost me more than the pipe!

I didn't even smoke this thing for over a year or more, but once maybe. I was hanging on to it as an 'investment', thinking I could 'make money' selling it for more than I'd paid.

But, I realized that as long as it sat in my rack, that itch for acquiring what seemed the most iconic brand and yes even model (a 1954 1/2 bent Shellbriar) was gone, absent, satisfied.

So, now I rotate that sucker, and it's fun to smoke. It is my 'most expensive' pipe, too!

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. lohengrin

lohengrin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is mine, a Peterson sandblast army spigot XL 23.
    I buyed it from an Irish seller and I choosed it because naturally I liked it and because they were offering it at a nice price.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. 7ach

7ach

Login to Send PM

I commissioned a JT Cooke in Celebration of my first born son

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Descending from a great lineage of tightwads, I don't expect to ever own a stable full of thoroughbreds.

That being said, I usually manage to satisfy my "champagne" tastes using my "beer" budget.

I've not yet broken the C-Note barrier for a pipe acquisition, but have kept myself satisfied, nonetheless.

Falcon, Big Ben, Missouri Meerschaum, Stanwell, Savinelli, Briar Works, Viking Classic and Hilson Vintage.

In that ascending order, I have enjoyed them all. Add them all together to equal one stately purchase...

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  54. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If someone could identify the last two tasty-looking tobacco blends, I would be most grateful

The one I posted was Ye Olde Signe.

I LOVE that JT Cooke, 7ach!

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. jayski

jayski

Login to Send PM

@ Mso489 In my profile picture I am smoking a Tsuge: Tokyo sitter. I absolutely love that pipe! So far I am a huge fan of Tsuge. I plan on purchasing another when I find one that catches my eye and isn't way outside of my price range. One day I may even treat my self to a Ikebana.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tim and George tied for first!

Elsewhere, couple of very expensive pipes I wouldn't own. Just ugly to my eyes.

My most expensive pipe is an estate Barling spigot. I paid "so much" for it because I wanted it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. User has not uploaded an avatar

spider61

Login to Send PM

Here is one of my "most expensive" pipes. SP kicked off my PAD this morning with their 15% off. Always wanted a Scott Klein pipe, so Happy New Year to me

So this is my first attempt at posting a picture. Clearly not very successful, LOL
    Please help!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. scrumpyjack

scrumpyjack

Login to Send PM

Probably has to be this Prevost

Runner up is my one and only

No special reason other than I had the extra funds at the time and I like Artisan pipes. These caught my fancy and the stars aligned.

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Tim and George tied for first!

Elsewhere, couple of very expensive pipes I wouldn't own. Just ugly to my eyes.

Not so much a contest, but after the Chonowitsch thread debate, just wanted a thread to show why someone would go above their "normal" price for a pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. kangaroo

kangaroo

Login to Send PM

Mine is a Manz. It's a good accident.

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

chasing, I forgot to say why I bought my most expensive pipe so here is the reason. It was a Rad Davis shape that I did not have and I love a good Calabash. After getting it I told Rad I was thinking about doing a 7 day set of them. Then he had to go and retire on my sorry ass, I was definitely upset when he announced that. I am just glad I at least got the one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

Mine would be an estate bent Shell Briar Dunhill. All things considered it was a steal and it has been my absolute favorite since the first smoke. I had bought a couple relatively reasonably priced Dunhill estate pipes and then just fell in love with this bent group 4. Searching for a good deal on an estate pipe has always been a joy in itself and I've never regretted going above my usual budget a little to get this one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  64. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

It was a Dunhill Group 4 for me. Great looking pipe and smoker.

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulfg

Login to Send PM

my most expensive pipes have been commisioned Rhodesian pipes from Michael Kyriazanos.I am sorry to say that the blowfish does nothing for me but that cased Barlings WOW
    I really love classic shapes

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Right now my most expensive pipe is a Peterson Pipe of the Year 2012. I got it because that was the year I graduated the local Pipefitter's Union program.

I'm actually right now in the process of scaling down the number of pipes in my collection and scaling up the quality.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  67. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well you asked so my most expensive pipe was made by the man that owned it before me Bo Nordh. A lovely apple with buffalo horn accent and it smokes just perfectly. That should also satisfy the why did I buy it part too.
    banjo

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I love how, after all the wild freehands that he made, Bo Nordh's personal pieces were beautifully simple.

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. alan73

alan73

Login to Send PM

^^ that is going to be the most expensive pipe I own. When banjo decides to sell it . Awesome pipe and provenance.

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Mine is a Manz. It's a good accident.

Just noticed the geometry on that. Wow!

Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now