PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
Beautiful grain in that there Blow Fish!
@Lasttango New to the pipe smoking hobby I have spent many hours looking through EBay and Smokingpipes.com trying to build a good rotation. I have played many times at the idea of owning a Dunhill, after all they are a pipe carving Legend. I have refrained thus far from pulling the trigger on such a purchase due to the fact that I would like to smoke many other carvers and shapes to really make sure I appreciate such a pipe. It seems to me that expectations are the biggest let down in life and why would it be any different in a hobby such as this. In retrospect I believe its the chase of a new pipe that makes it exciting. The reception and first use is like the thrill of gambling. The odds are better in some cases that you may have a winner and some not. The only thing better than the search for a wonderful pipe is a wonderful weed at the end of a long day and good meal.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

My most expensive pipe is a Parks. The reason I paid so much is because it's what he said I had to pay if I wanted him to make the pipe I asked him to make.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
My most expensive pipe is a Ryan Alden smooth Rhodesian. I purchased it because Ryan really doesn't make too many smooth pipes, it's his highest grade and it's an just gorgeous. I may seek counseling for my man-crush.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
SvyIay3.jpg

My Gamboni pipe is my most expensive pipe at $500 even. I enjoy it but not as much as my middle range pipes, I’m just too worried about breaking it, so I only smoke it in safe conditions.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Pretty sure my most expensive "new" pipe is the 4♧ Becker Dublin.

Some pipes I've bought as estates MAY have been more expensive when they were new.
WRkQhZa.jpg

That said, some of my favorite smokers cost a hell of a lot less.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
If someone could identify the last two tasty-looking tobacco blends, I would be most grateful.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
A Rinaldo Lithos Silver Line (SL-8) (KKK) rusticated squat bulldog. A previous Rinaldo acquisition impressed me so much that I was easy prey when this one came along in my favorite shape, with all the right dimensions for me. $347, which is about as high as I'd go for a factory pipe (I think.)

left.jpg

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
A Castello Old Antiquari Freehand Bent Dublin. I saw this pipe at the NASPC Show in Columbus this year and thought "It's the perfect pipe!" I loved the size, shape, blast, and bit on this one. I handled it several times, but didn't buy it. After months of not being able to get it out of my mind, I called the shop and they still had it. After a bit of haggling, I pulled the trigger, and I'm glad I did!

R25uPGk.jpg

GRGqI9w.jpg

Tim

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Really interesting original post and thread. I want to go back and study it more. I've never shot the moon on a pipe. My fascination has been applying fierce shopping to finding the best smoking pipes at the lowest possible prices. This often involves long-term roving online and spotting special discounts and sales. My likely highest priced pipe, a Ferndown, was sent to me by a Forums member. My highest priced purchase was a Ser Jacopo blast Dublin with a serpentine shank and stem that I bought on sale from SPC for (as I recall) PRICE DELETED per original post ... couldn't touch it today. My wild abandon was because I'd made the sale of a literary work and wanted to celebrate. SPC lived up to the moment in offering this. A recent purchase was a Tsuge "tasting pipe," a full size blast straight billiard, at PC for $39.99, which exhibits all of the fit and finish of their considerably more expensive lines.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The most expensive pipe I have ever owned was this Former Dublin. It had a retail of 960.00 back in 1999 or 2000. I of course never paid that price( paid 240.00 worth of Cuban cigars for it).

formerstraightgrain-1-600x450.jpg

My most expensive pipe is this Rad Davis Calabash(450.00).

radd6-600x339.jpg

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I have many expensive pipes. Why do I buy them ? Because I like them and can afford to buy them.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Those are all fantastic pipes, but you should all be ashamed of yourselves (for being able to post pics when us technically challenged folks are unable to).
My most expensive is the Baki in my avatar, but you'll just have to use a magnifying glass if you want a closer look.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I don't have the funds for buying expensive pipes, and I haven't ever spent $100 or more. My most expensive is a Ser Jacopo Picta Magritte, which I paid $90 for as an estate pipe. Why? I really like the Picta pipe series as I love the art that they represent. Way out of my price range for new and even the used pipes of these series. It had a few dings, scrapes, and the top of the bowl was messed up, but I still love it and it smokes great!

img_1520-600x380.jpg

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Technically, the most expensive pipe in my collection is a Castello Collection Great Line Bent Dublin (5) (KKKK); but I didn't pay the retail value.
The Deities of the Leaf smile down upon the Faithful, perhaps, once in a jitter-monkey's lifetime.
A local pipe collector (and retired doctor) likes to trade certain pipes in his collection for store credit; you know, when he's not enjoying the smoke, is bored, tired of looking at it, etc... or if he's just never smoked it, and has lost interest... (regardless of my misleading description, he's quite a nice gentleman).
This particular shop has a 50% resale value of the suggested retail of a pipe that they sell as an 'estate.' Most of the pipes are in a condition that half the retail cost is reasonable, other times it's over-priced, but sometimes you get a deal.
Some young gentleman bought the unsmoked Castello at the estate price; however, when he got it home, his wife was not pleased with his good fortune, so he attempted to return it back to the shop. Well, estates usually have an 'as is' sell's policy, but the shop worked something out with the second owner.
Now, here's where it gets interesting: since the pipe was already sold as an estate at half retail, the shop resold it at half the previous estate price. So, basically, a Costello Great Line--complete with original sock, box, and paperwork--was selling for 25% the retail cost.
I was in the right place at the right time; I smoked a sacrificial bowl of Early Morning Pipe in praise to the pipe gods for their blessings.

Status
Not open for further replies.