PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have many expensive pipes. Why do I buy them ? Because I like them and can afford to buy them.
Not quite what the thread is about. Talking about the ones that went above what you would normally consider paying, and why you decided to do that. No prices please though.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
My most expensive pipe is in transit. I bought one of Foggy’s Dunhills for my 40th bday. Seemed fitting to buy something out of my price range. It’s an Amber Root Prince 4407.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
My most expensive pipe is in transit. I bought one of Foggy’s Dunhills for my 40th bday. Seemed fitting to buy something out of my price range. It’s an Amber Root Prince 4407.
4407 is a great author shape. Foggy had a great collection, and a great piece for your birthday!
4Vy9hP

Mar 29, 2016
A Blatter rhodesian commission as I was unable to get a GBD 9438 or 9242.
blatter-rhodesian-v2-600x337.jpg

I also had one sandblasted straight rhodesian pipe made for a bit less, like warships they look better when paired.
blatter-rhodesian2-v2-600x337.jpg

Those two are my most expensive but they look very nice to me and more importantly, smoke like a dream.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Blatter turns out so many lovely pieces. Didn't realize they did commissions, going to have to remember that!

Mar 29, 2016
chasingembers
They have that old school feel, their store is a piece of pipe making history. Those three gentlemen are always there for their customers, Montreal wouldn't be the same without them. The prices are quite affordable, especially for our US neighbors and also for Euro paying Europeans.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
jayski :
I have played many times at the idea of owning a Dunhill, after all they are a pipe carving Legend.

All of your comment was quotable, but this part stood out for me.

I felt the very same way in the first year I found this forum which coincided with my first year of piping.

Consequently, I did find 'the hunt' for good pipe values on the auction site to be a focus of my attention for many happy hours.

A Dunhill was won for $67.00, and it was not in bad shape, except that the stem didn't have a dot. It was a replacement.

That wouldn't do. I read up on replacement stems for Dunhill and found that there was one 'certified' Dunhill replacement guy and I sent the pipe to him for the 'real deal'. The 'real deal' cost me more than the pipe!
I didn't even smoke this thing for over a year or more, but once maybe. I was hanging on to it as an 'investment', thinking I could 'make money' selling it for more than I'd paid.
But, I realized that as long as it sat in my rack, that itch for acquiring what seemed the most iconic brand and yes even model (a 1954 1/2 bent Shellbriar) was gone, absent, satisfied.
So, now I rotate that sucker, and it's fun to smoke. It is my 'most expensive' pipe, too!

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
This is mine, a Peterson sandblast army spigot XL 23.

I buyed it from an Irish seller and I choosed it because naturally I liked it and because they were offering it at a nice price.
QuRTITd.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Descending from a great lineage of tightwads, I don't expect to ever own a stable full of thoroughbreds.
That being said, I usually manage to satisfy my "champagne" tastes using my "beer" budget.
I've not yet broken the C-Note barrier for a pipe acquisition, but have kept myself satisfied, nonetheless.
Falcon, Big Ben, Missouri Meerschaum, Stanwell, Savinelli, Briar Works, Viking Classic and Hilson Vintage.
In that ascending order, I have enjoyed them all. Add them all together to equal one stately purchase...
jay-roger.jpg

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
@ Mso489 In my profile picture I am smoking a Tsuge: Tokyo sitter. I absolutely love that pipe! So far I am a huge fan of Tsuge. I plan on purchasing another when I find one that catches my eye and isn't way outside of my price range. One day I may even treat my self to a Ikebana.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Tim and George tied for first!
Elsewhere, couple of very expensive pipes I wouldn't own. Just ugly to my eyes.
My most expensive pipe is an estate Barling spigot. I paid "so much" for it because I wanted it.

spider61

Lurker
Jan 15, 2017
Here is one of my "most expensive" pipes. SP kicked off my PAD this morning with their 15% off. Always wanted a Scott Klein pipe, so Happy New Year to me 8)
So this is my first attempt at posting a picture. Clearly not very successful, LOL

Please help!!
AF1QipNeuu6JciTNQEsmK4cQQelitLCqG8CCEZGekIQ

scrumpyjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Texas
Probably has to be this Prevost

bcfY4o3.jpg

Runner up is my one and only

iTRv8YK.jpg

No special reason other than I had the extra funds at the time and I like Artisan pipes. These caught my fancy and the stars aligned.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Tim and George tied for first!
Elsewhere, couple of very expensive pipes I wouldn't own. Just ugly to my eyes.
Not so much a contest, but after the Chonowitsch thread debate, just wanted a thread to show why someone would go above their "normal" price for a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.