(66 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by indianafrank
  • Latest reply from aldecaker
  1. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Todays kids are eating Tide pods.

I don't know where I'm going...but sooner or later I'll get there.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. brightleaf

brightleaf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here is a quote from the article
    "Fads like the Tide challenge lend themselves to exaggeration, so it’s wise to be wary of alarmist warnings not backed up by evidence."
    The article discredits itself and if anything is giving publicity to the act more than if it didn't report on it.

There is no mention that this is used to give anyone a buzz, instead the article says
    " federal consumer safety officials were compelled to warn families that children find such packets appealing."

POSSIBLY, contentment is not only the chief element of life, but also one of the very foundations of society. If this be so, then as Tobacco is the enemy of malice, friend of virtue, and a direct cause for content, its use should be encouraged. -J.W. Cundall 1901
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

brightleaf,

Here is a quote from the article
    "Fads like the Tide challenge lend themselves to exaggeration, so it’s wise to be wary of alarmist warnings not backed up by evidence."
    The article discredits itself and if anything is giving publicity to the act more than if it didn't report on it.

There is no mention that this is used to give anyone a buzz, instead the article says
    " federal consumer safety officials were compelled to warn families that children find such packets appealing."

I found out about this during this evening news. 3 local college students were in intensive care because they were ingesting tide pods. My God...these are college students, not 5 year olds.

My wife talked to her sister and husband who are both nurses in another State. They confirmed that swallowing Tide pods is a concern, and they've seen an increase at the hospitals they work at. The article was sent to me via an email after we talked to my wife's sister. As to the articles honesty...who knows.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, is the only known medical treatment for this to smother the idiots with a pillow? Will these imbeciles have to pay a higher premium for their medical coverage now that it is known that they are mongoloids, and likely to incur higher health care costs?

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tide announced they are ceasing production of the things because everyone's eating them instead of washing their clothes with them. A drunk college kid will eat just about anything.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At my measly little high school, one kid died from huffing freon, another took angel dust and jumped off a water tower, and another (football player) died of alcahol poisoning at a party where he did a beer bong full of whiskey; and, the other kids got scared so they hid his body in the limestone quarry.
    There seems to be no end to what stupid things kids will do. I’m just grateful everytime my youngest gets home alive and my oldest gives me a phone call.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's my favorite quote from the article:

Even a senator, Chuck Schumer of New York, once said he was tempted to eat a pod because of its bright colors. “I don’t know why they make them look so delicious,” he said at a 2012 news conference
    ............. go figure.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

brightleaf, after I re-read your comment

My point was not about getting high from eating Tide pods...but more about the stupid things we do as kids.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Even a senator

As though those aren't the least intelligent life form on the planet to begin with!

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't be hatin'...

Mongoloid. 1 : of, constituting, or characteristic of a race of humankind native to Asia and classified according to physical features; 2 often not capitalized, dated, now usually offensive

At least cough syrup and glue offer a "high". I can't see what appeal caustic chemicals have to supposed adults. Some people (adults, not children) deserve what they get...

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I believe we know which definition of mongoloid I was using, and it has nothing to do with Asians.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Even a senator, Chuck Schumer of New York, once said he was tempted to eat a pod

I just assume that dude eats Tide pods.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I assumed that Tide pods must be required snacks for all of the senators and representatives. Maybe even the White House and staff.

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tide Pods; the taste is horrible but the farts are amazing!

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. james72

james72

Login to Send PM

I concur with prairiedruid.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I NEVER, EVER gave sniffing glue a thought, but I did a whole lot of toking.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's hip to be brainwashed these days.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Vicodin cough medicine is the bomb. I used to get it when I got pneumonia.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. brightleaf

brightleaf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Laundry detergent, the formerly secret substance that creates special youth.

Shining laundry packet

Boy "Shining" in Stephen King's miniseries of the same name

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wish Chuck had eaten the whole box. Nooooo, just kidding, just kidding.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

It's hip to be brainwashed these days.

Best post of this thread so far!

And I thought I was weird for eating Milk Bones when I was a little kid.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kids nowadays just purposely do stupid things..just because they make no sense. Like that jackass movie... the dumber the better!

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A word of advice: Buy all the Tide Pods that you can. You will soon be able to double your money on eBay. Same thing happened when they discontinued phosphate dishwasher detergent.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tide Pods; the taste is horrible but the farts are amazing!
    The bubbles the farts make stink like shit when you pop them...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

I'll admit I do have the desire to chew on these

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. davek

davek

Login to Send PM

Everything always falls to money. Drug scares, even fake ones, can garner votes (worth money) or at least payment for an article.

Pot became legal in Colorado because they saw the chance to make tax money. If it is cracked down on by the feds, it will be because property seizure and enforcers salaries are profitable.

Side effect/benefit profile of any substance is secondary.

Drugs are of course all bad, albeit to various degrees. This include tobacco of course.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

sumusfumus

Login to Send PM

Some even suck the smoldering end of a rolled paper tube, inhale burning plant leaves, and other volatilized toxic chemicals, to the point of inducing deadly cancer to corrupt their lungs.....

Go figure.

Frank
    NYC

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Or, they let the carcinogens simply be absorbed through the membranes of the mouth and nose and into the blood. Oh! Wait, that's what we do.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Will these imbeciles have to pay a higher premium for their medical coverage now that it is known that they are mongoloids

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. menuhin

menuhin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In this era, especially for the generations who are addict to the social media and the Internet,
    people usually mistakes popularity as truth, and as correct and cool things to do, to imitate.

The "forbidden snacks" challenge is just one of those dangerous ideas. There were viral ideas, e.g. taking selfies in certain poses on the edge of the roof top of a skyscraper, that led to many cases of instant death of these follow-the-trend teenagers.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mmmmm, well, this thread does make me wonder what they taste like. Is it like...

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don’t see the harm in college kids eating tide pods. As long as they haven’t reproduced yet, they would seem to be doing the gene pool a favor. That Darwin chap was really on to something!

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll admit I do have the desire to chew on these

I don’t think that’s a surprise to any of us.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kids nowadays just purposely do stupid things..just because they make no sense

I'd agree if you took out "nowadays"... Hasn't it always been thus?

Main difference, double or triple the number of kids, and proliferation of ways to publicize whose done the stupidest thing.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  35. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Doing stupid" pretty well defines male adolescence, nothing new in that.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. prndl

prndl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn kids got it made, nowadays.

When I was a kid, we had to eat Tide straight out of the box!

Home is the sailor, home from sea,
    And the hunter home from the hill.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  37. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think it's more the interweb. A kid in Anchorage/Chicago/Moscow can do a stupid, put it up on social media and, pretty soon he's being imitated or one upped all over the world. Being a teenaged doofus is very competitive.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to enjoy building plastic models from kits, though I graduated to building airplanes, ships, and a pirate musket out of wood and other materials that I designed myself. When using the glue with plastic kits, I always enjoyed the smell, that distinctive twang, but it never occurred to me to huff it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pre Xerox, teachers would give us mineographed worksheets and tests, and the smell... we would hall start huffing the paper till the teacher yelled at us, ha ha. Ohh, and if we ever got to borrow the teacher's marker... that smell. The good ol' days.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The scent of warm blue mimeograph ink is a little slice of heaven today's kids will never get to experience.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Two college boys living in town died a few years ago using some kind of weird scented bath salts (I think they were) for a high. I think they died on the fire escape of their low rent campus apartment, perhaps trying to get air when their "high" went wrong. I guess it pays to terrorize your young'uns about what they inhale or ingest, in hopes that it will one day overcome their yin for an adventure that might go wrong. Surprising what a lot of everyday products are deadly if ingested/inhaled. Funny how sensitive to spoilage animals are; if the cat won't eat the fish, don't you eat it. They know not to eat pills that are dropped on the floor, even though they look like cat treats. Dogs have even better sniffers. Dogs won't snub much that is edible (cats can be so picky) but usually dogs know what isn't good. Yes, that mimeo ink was an inspiring smell, and library paste was delicious. ...I may have lost points on my SAT and ACT math scores enjoying the smell of that plastic model glue.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are actually a few posts in this thread comparing the eating of Tide pods with tobacco use.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mine was making a distinction regarding the post equating cigarette smoking to eating Tide Pods. Which was totally uninspired and conflated the discussion.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. brightleaf

brightleaf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@mso489 Bath Salts are probably not what you think they are. Here is a link to some info regarding the drug that is used to get high.
    https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/synthetic-cathinones-bath-salts

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And I thought I was weird for eating Milk Bones when I was a little kid.

No, not really. When I was very young an older sibling encouraged me to eat dry cat-food because the box said that it was, "Good for cats and cat-owners." Further, my best friend at the time (who was one year older than I) was a confirmed paste-eater.

Love Me, Love My Pipe
    Posted 1 year ago #
  46. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kids used to love to eat paint...was commercials about it years ago. PICA

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well....Just got in from huffing gas. I got to the stage where reality warped. Sun came out and it started snowing crazy big snowflakes. Heard a lot of Wha Wha Wha Wha, until it started making sense, I think I saw old Chuck U eating Tide Pods while riding the Big Fat Old Sun. Figured this would be the right place to record my results.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. renfield

renfield

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you want to open the gates of perception try 50/50 straight Perique and the orange side of a Tide Pod. My hands, they’re so huge...

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I don’t see the harm in college kids eating tide pods. As long as they haven’t reproduced yet, they would seem to be doing the gene pool a favor. That Darwin chap was really on to something!

You should watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwZ0ZUy7P3E

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't know. Mozart died at 35, Keats at 26, and Shakespeare at 52. Doesn't sound the Darwinian principle is doing such a great job with human talent.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

35 -52 would have been a full life back in those days. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find very many people in those days older than 50.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Keats died in middle age. The Bard was an old man for his time when he died. Keats was middle aged for the times. But, it does indeed seem that the "gene pool" is mostly self-policing with no real need of a lifeguard.

I remember my adolescence. "There but for the grace of God ..." Good parenting and large slice of luck is required to attain adulthood I guess.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My little brother drank the Tidy-Bowl man. His mouth and lips were dark blue for days.

The poison control said give him milk until he puked.

He never did. He went to his grave with the Tidy-Bowl man. Maybe that's why we don't see him in commercials any more...

Old Commercial

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. brightleaf

brightleaf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here is the scene with girl snorting Ajax from the movie Up In Smoke. So what is Ajax like? "Good shit."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WREo-_R9uyc

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I was a kid, we had to eat Tide straight out of the box!

Or out of the bag. Consider the following: Do NOT try this at home...or on the road!

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

warren, I have the statistical aptitude of a 'possum, but I would note that old age, as above 70, was not as usual as now, in earlier centuries, but was still somewhat common. The averaged lifespan was extremely short because of infectious diseases, and especially childhood diseases. That is why many families had eight children in hopes two would survive into adulthood and have families of their own. Most couples buried one or more children, and many women were lost in childbirth. So saying that Keats dying in his twenties was middle age may be, at least, an exaggeration. Or maybe it is more accurate to say, there was a different balance of longevity. I agree Shakespeare probably had a typical lifespan, dying at 52, but he also knew people in their eighties and perhaps nineties. His character Polonius, the dotard in Hamlet, was clearly at least into his sixties, and losing it. Folks who don't have much exposure to the play think he is spouting wisdom, but he's clearly senile.

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mso: Enjoying the discussion. Thanks.

I can't dispute only point out that the average life span in Keats time was the mid-30s. Admittedly this is based on limited data, headstones and whatever records were kept and survived for research. Of course people exceeded the average. Many didn't though. A person living in the 1700s, away from a city, on an estate perhaps, might exceed the average. Birthing deaths, plague, wars, infections, open sewage in the gutters or tossed onto one's head in the cities kept lifespans short until near the end of the 1800s, which is when lifespans (Europeans) really started to lengthen.

In Keats time life expectancy was 30/35. So, the 20s were middle age. Actuarially I hit middle age at about age 34. I'm raising the bar, my wife lowered it. But, it is all just numbers and limited numbers indeed for 1500s through the 1800s.

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Warren, did MSO just slyly intimate that you are senile?

Just kidding around. Glad to see you came through the shaker none the worse for wear, by the way!

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. brightleaf

brightleaf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see that Shakespeare has a wiki page that lists his deathday. I was always under the assumption that Shakespeare was a pseudonym for Francis Bacon, who lived to be 65.

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. fishingandpipes

fishingandpipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is unwarranted hysteria. You can't eat Tide pods.

Everyone knows that to get a minty fresh breath you need to eat dishwasher pods.

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. User has not uploaded an avatar

wasnsfisher

Login to Send PM

Due to the nature of this thread and some of the comments, which may come too close to home for some ppl, I don't understand why it wasn't shut down long ago.

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yet you "bumped" it.

Someone has their sensibilities bruised and a thread should be closed?

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To whom is this thread offensive?

Posted 1 year ago #
  64. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I began this thread, and I meant no disrespect to anyone.

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

indianafrank: Nothing disrespecting about your post. Perhaps some of our rather crass responses offended the member. If it was me, I offer no apologies.

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it was me, I've already been stink-eyed by Genghis Khan, so I'm all good.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   newbroom