PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Two college boys living in town died a few years ago using some kind of weird scented bath salts (I think they were) for a high. I think they died on the fire escape of their low rent campus apartment, perhaps trying to get air when their "high" went wrong. I guess it pays to terrorize your young'uns about what they inhale or ingest, in hopes that it will one day overcome their yin for an adventure that might go wrong. Surprising what a lot of everyday products are deadly if ingested/inhaled. Funny how sensitive to spoilage animals are; if the cat won't eat the fish, don't you eat it. They know not to eat pills that are dropped on the floor, even though they look like cat treats. Dogs have even better sniffers. Dogs won't snub much that is edible (cats can be so picky) but usually dogs know what isn't good. Yes, that mimeo ink was an inspiring smell, and library paste was delicious. ...I may have lost points on my SAT and ACT math scores enjoying the smell of that plastic model glue.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
There are actually a few posts in this thread comparing the eating of Tide pods with tobacco use. :crazy:

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
@mso489 Bath Salts are probably not what you think they are. Here is a link to some info regarding the drug that is used to get high.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/synthetic-cathinones-bath-salts

bath-salts.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
And I thought I was weird for eating Milk Bones when I was a little kid.
No, not really. When I was very young an older sibling encouraged me to eat dry cat-food because the box said that it was, "Good for cats and cat-owners." Further, my best friend at the time (who was one year older than I) was a confirmed paste-eater.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Well....Just got in from huffing gas. I got to the stage where reality warped. Sun came out and it started snowing crazy big snowflakes. Heard a lot of Wha Wha Wha Wha, until it started making sense, I think I saw old Chuck U eating Tide Pods while riding the Big Fat Old Sun. Figured this would be the right place to record my results. :oops:

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
If you want to open the gates of perception try 50/50 straight Perique and the orange side of a Tide Pod. My hands, they’re so huge...

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I don’t see the harm in college kids eating tide pods. As long as they haven’t reproduced yet, they would seem to be doing the gene pool a favor. That Darwin chap was really on to something!
You should watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwZ0ZUy7P3E

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know. Mozart died at 35, Keats at 26, and Shakespeare at 52. Doesn't sound the Darwinian principle is doing such a great job with human talent.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Keats died in middle age. The Bard was an old man for his time when he died. Keats was middle aged for the times. But, it does indeed seem that the "gene pool" is mostly self-policing with no real need of a lifeguard.
I remember my adolescence. "There but for the grace of God ..." Good parenting and large slice of luck is required to attain adulthood I guess.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My little brother drank the Tidy-Bowl man. His mouth and lips were dark blue for days.
The poison control said give him milk until he puked.
He never did. He went to his grave with the Tidy-Bowl man. Maybe that's why we don't see him in commercials any more...
Old Commercial
jay-roger.jpg

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
Here is the scene with girl snorting Ajax from the movie Up In Smoke. So what is Ajax like? "Good shit."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WREo-_R9uyc

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
warren, I have the statistical aptitude of a 'possum, but I would note that old age, as above 70, was not as usual as now, in earlier centuries, but was still somewhat common. The averaged lifespan was extremely short because of infectious diseases, and especially childhood diseases. That is why many families had eight children in hopes two would survive into adulthood and have families of their own. Most couples buried one or more children, and many women were lost in childbirth. So saying that Keats dying in his twenties was middle age may be, at least, an exaggeration. Or maybe it is more accurate to say, there was a different balance of longevity. I agree Shakespeare probably had a typical lifespan, dying at 52, but he also knew people in their eighties and perhaps nineties. His character Polonius, the dotard in Hamlet, was clearly at least into his sixties, and losing it. Folks who don't have much exposure to the play think he is spouting wisdom, but he's clearly senile.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
mso: Enjoying the discussion. Thanks.
I can't dispute only point out that the average life span in Keats time was the mid-30s. Admittedly this is based on limited data, headstones and whatever records were kept and survived for research. Of course people exceeded the average. Many didn't though. A person living in the 1700s, away from a city, on an estate perhaps, might exceed the average. Birthing deaths, plague, wars, infections, open sewage in the gutters or tossed onto one's head in the cities kept lifespans short until near the end of the 1800s, which is when lifespans (Europeans) really started to lengthen.
In Keats time life expectancy was 30/35. So, the 20s were middle age. Actuarially I hit middle age at about age 34. I'm raising the bar, my wife lowered it. But, it is all just numbers and limited numbers indeed for 1500s through the 1800s.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Warren, did MSO just slyly intimate that you are senile? :rofl:
Just kidding around. Glad to see you came through the shaker none the worse for wear, by the way!

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
I see that Shakespeare has a wiki page that lists his deathday. I was always under the assumption that Shakespeare was a pseudonym for Francis Bacon, who lived to be 65.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
This is unwarranted hysteria. You can't eat Tide pods.
Everyone knows that to get a minty fresh breath you need to eat dishwasher pods.
c700x420.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.