Movies You are Excited For?

(55 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by easterntraveler
  • Latest reply from hobie1dog
  1. easterntraveler

easterntraveler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was pretty disappointed with 90 percent of the movies that came out last year. However I think this year will be better. Really looking forward to the new Godzilla movie. Curious on what others are waiting to see.

Because straight is the gate and narrow is the way which leadeth unto life and few be there that find it.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The new Costner film "Three Days To Kill" looks pretty good.

"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." - Corinthians 16:13
    "Let us be English or let us be French . . . and above all let us be Canadians." – Sir John A MacDonald
    "The world was to me a secret which I desired to divine." - Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

plateauguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not excited really, but looking forward to The Monument Men

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

rayje589

Login to Send PM

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is one of the few I'm looking forward to. Godzilla being another one.

Edit:
    Also can't forget the LEGO movie. I'm super excited for that.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. easterntraveler

easterntraveler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Forgot about the Lego movie. I put a set together about once a month with my kids

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm really interested to see the new Transformers... I like the fact that it will feature Mark Wahlberg and the Dinobots. So only improvements as far as I can tell. I hope it's a stand alone film to really make it even better and I can forget the last two movies.

Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. - Irish Proverb
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The movies are pricey. Plus, you have to deal with those idiots on their smart phones talking/texting during the movie.

I wait until they come out on Netflix usually.

I'm interested in seeing the last installment of the Hobbit.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Monuments Men looks to be good.
    We just saw Lone Survivor this weekend and I would recommend it whole heatedly. AWESOME

Kent

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. lostandfound

lostandfound

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ninja Turtles

Jerod
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. terrygoldman123

terrygoldman123

Login to Send PM

I get excited for Black/White movies of yesteryear. New movies, nah!

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I get excited for Black/White movies of yesteryear. New movies, nah!
    +1
    ~Ron

Ron
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 terrygoldman123

I read this list and feel like an ancient mariner returned to shore. I'm really not that old, I don't think. How do people even hear about these new fangled movies? LOL

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoy the new movies for effects and such but I still enjoy old movies. Yesterday I enjoyed watching half of "Hatari" with John Wayne and Red Buttons and the beautiful Elsa Martinelli.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

The last time I really was "excited" to see a movie was when star wars came out in '78?

The last time I went to see a movie we were seated early, just before the previews rolled, I lifted my arm off the armrest to accommodate the guy to sit in the seat next to me. he immediately planted his mega-gulp drink in that cup holder and his arm never left the armrest for the whole movie....I guess he had to show me his Alpha-maleness.

I would rather catch something on Netflix or Roku....and at home my popcorn is cooked in cocoanut oil, buttered with real butter and sea salt...once you travel that road, you can never settle for the crap theaters serve.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. latbomber

latbomber

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looking forward to the new 300 movie and Lego looks great as well.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. houndstooth

houndstooth

Login to Send PM

Like Terrygoldman123, Rmason and Cosmicfolklore, I love old black and white movies too, especially ones of the Film Noir genre. That's not to say that I don't love new movies too, but B&W is an art form that is gone from cinema screens for the most part, other than the occasional quirky modern day film. It's a shame, because it was a beautiful choice of medium that I, for one, wish still existed as a viable choice in the commercial world of making movies and TV.

Being a cinematographer, I have always enjoyed shooting B&W when the opportunity arises. Most of the time, for me, it has been for the occasional commercial, or documentary film, but mostly earlier in my career. I still shoot a lot of B&W stills on 35mm film, however.

Did you know that for 30 years (1936 - 1966) there were two Academy Award categories for Best Achievement in Cinematography: one for B&W & one for Color. In 1967 they did aways with the distinction, and there was just one award for the craft, regardless of whether it was in B&W or color. Of course by that time, B&W was becoming less and less common in feature films... at least in the United States.

One thing that a friend of mine (who is also a cinematographer) and I do is collect and regularly screen movies in 16mm. We both have a couple of good projectors, and continue to collect and expand our "libraries" with some classic films, most of which tend to be B&W. For one thing, the emulsion doesn't fade the way the color dyes tend to in color prints. In the warmer months, there's nothing like screening a classic and having your friends come over for a movie under the stars in the backyard.

Here is a list of the movies I own prints of at the moment...

The Wages of Fear.
    The Getaway (in Cinemascope).
    A Nous La Liberte.
    Throne of Blood.
    Seven Samurai.
    Asphalt Jungle.
    Knife in the Water.
    All about Eve.
    Brazil.
    Night of the Hunter.
    Treasure of the Sierra Madre.
    Ace in the Hole.
    Double Indemnity
    Touch of Evil (Long Version)
    An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge. (a short film)

But to get back on topic...

For new movies coming out this year, I am looking forward to seeing:

Bad Words
    Dom Hemingway
    Transcendence (Directorial debut of Christopher Nolan's cinematographer, Wally Pfister, who won an Oscar for his work on Inception)
    Edge of Tomorrow (Directed by Doug Lyman and starring Tom Cruise)

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. pylorns

pylorns

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hold-over from last year - Walter Mitty movie that came out on Dec 25th - I haven't seen it yet...
    A Million Ways to Die in the West
    Expendables 3 (good ole' 80's style action movie)
    Hunger Games: Mocking Jay Part 1 (with the Phillip S. Hoffman)
    The Hobbit: There and Back Again

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. terrygoldman123

terrygoldman123

Login to Send PM

Houndstooth:

When I taught middle/high school, I used "An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge" each year. Brilliant!

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. tanless1

tanless1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Super troopers 2 and clerks 3.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. cobguy

cobguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most new offerings just don't "do it" for me.

One of the only movies I saw in 2013, and really liked, was "Stand Up Guys" with
    Al Pacino, Christopher Walken and Alan Arkin. Some hilarious moments!

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 LOTPR. I just don't have the patience for the modern day clientele. I am looking forward to The Hobbit installments but I suppose I'll have a long wait. It's worth it to be able to watch the movies I like while smoking a pipe in my living room.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

@ Houndstooth

Reading that list of B&W films had me salivating. Night Of The Hunter is one of the most beautifully shot movies ever made. There's nothing to compare with seeing it on a screen in a good print. I'm fortunate to have seen every one of these, and thousands of others over the years, on the big screen. To that list I would also add the 1935 version of A Midsummer Night's Dream Hal Mohr's work, as well as that of his staff, is lustrous. The thing about B&W is that you need to know how to light. There's no color to help differentiate the content in the shot.

As for new movies, there's nothing much that I'm waiting for. Having worked in visual effects for many years, I just don't get excited about them like I used to do. If the story isn't good, no amount of effects will save a film. I'll just see what appeals when it opens.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 years ago #
  23. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am looking forward to Monuments Men but will wait for it to come on ppv. The problem with movie theaters is they tend to get upset when you light up your pipe.

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  24. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Monuments Men looks good. Nothing else has shown up on my radar list yet, but I'm hopeful.

Al

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. ravkesef

ravkesef

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Watched "The Lion in Winter" last night. Nothing produced today can match it. This is drama over special effects.

Eric
    Posted 5 years ago #
  26. houndstooth

houndstooth

Login to Send PM

Sablebrush52, I agree with you 100% about Night of the Hunter. It's one of my favorites, not just because it is beautifully shot, but it's just a great movie, period. Robert Mitchum's performance is so menacing. I also love the surrealistic, faery tale quality of many of the sequences. It's a shame Charles Laughton only directed the one picture.

As for Jay Mohr's work on a Midsummer Night's Dream, it's funny you mention that one. I saw clips of it last year at a special event at the ASC clubhouse. I had never seen it before, but it may be the most beautiful B&W work ever done. Mr. Mohr won the Oscar that year as a "write in" candidate, much to the ire of Jack Warner, I believe the story goes. I would love to find a 16mm print of that movie.

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Super Troopers 2!!!! I forgot about that and if it's half as funny as the first one it will be great!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. pylorns

pylorns

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As long as Super Troopers 2 comes out this year.

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are quite a few new movies I'm looking forward to in 2014. The first one being the new Robocop, second is The Amazing Spiderman 2, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Gone Girl and Hercules: The Thracian Wars. And I have heard wispers of a new Sin City movie being released this summer!

I really enjoy modern movies, but as has been stated above, you need to watch out for movies that are made to use CG, and movies that actually have good plot and storytelling.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I'm excited that "The Best Years of Our Lives" is on TCM again....

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I'm excited that "The Best Years of Our Lives" is on TCM again....

One of the very best pictures ever made. What a cast!

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

The soundtrack is quite good as well.

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. tanless1

tanless1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thats my goal. 500 seats and a full stage , single screen theater. It may never happen; but I just want to see the good stuff...and I know I cant be the only one.
    A product thats already made it's profit so I can sell it cheaper, and a concession stand that reflects it.

Posted 5 years ago #
  34. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I forgot about this movie, it looks very interesting. I saw the trailer at American Hustle (excellent). "Railway Man" with Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman.

http://youtu.be/bbS_dYEwf2M
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbS_dYEwf2M

Posted 5 years ago #
  35. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never go to the movies anymore. The theatres are full of bedbugs, you can catch the flu, people are making irritating noises, the price is too high. And it is easy to get into a fight. If that Florida police captain had stayed home he wouldn't be on trial for murder. Not to mention that there is a chance the theatre will be shot up by maniacs. I watch films on cable. Just enjoyed one called "Jayne Mansfield's Car."

Posted 5 years ago #
  36. rangerearthpig

rangerearthpig

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I saw Lone Survivor after reading the book. While it was extremely well done, I found it difficult to watch. The book really gave the reader a more detailed idea of what outstanding Americans these young guys were. To watch them graphically butchered while never losing their desire to finish the mission and stand by their brothers-in-arms was really tough to bear...even though they were actors on the screen. That was probably the first movie I have ever considered walking out of....again, not because it was poorly done.

RLTW!
    Posted 5 years ago #
  37. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rangerearthpig, I know what you mean. After watching both Jarhead and Blackhawk Down I was very lost in my emotions. I had friends in "The Moog" and in my opinion Jarhead did the greatest job of showing that military life, especially combat trades, and the brotherhood that comes with it is never something you shut off or lose. I have never been able to watch either movie again, not because they was done poorly but because of the emotions they bring back to life. Soldier on my friend and know you are never alone on that line.

Posted 5 years ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

"300: Rise Of An Empire" on March 7th in Canada. Can't wait!!!!!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  39. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only movie I'll see in a theater this year will be the Hobbit. Which I'll wait a week and go on a Tuesday noon show with 10 people in the audience. I have a nice home theater and don't have to deal with travel, paying, the people and if I want something to eat, I pause and can rewind at a good parts.

Many of the highly hyped movies in the last 10 years have proven to be duds. If something comes out, in my genre and people are cheering I'll either wait or just download it.

The nice change in cable production across the board from writing, acting and editing both movies and especially series is giving us a lot to watch. Many of the "top" actors have moved into these shows because their getting paid.

Craig

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 5 years ago #
  40. skapunk1

skapunk1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Keeping my fingers crossed for a decent new Star Wars. Also looking forward to the next 300 installment

Warren
    Posted 5 years ago #
  41. skapunk1

skapunk1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After the girlfriend showing me the trailer last night, I've added Zombeaver to the list.....hahahahaha

Posted 5 years ago #
  42. jogrefoln

jogrefoln

Login to Send PM

Wife also alerted me to Zombeaver today. A must see.

"Smoke good!" - Monster
    Posted 5 years ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

tanko

Login to Send PM

Godfather and Star wars.
    The best movies ever. All parts of them.

Posted 5 years ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Here in Vegas we have Galaxy Theaters and they are the best theaters ever.....in the history of ever. They feature big reclining seats with fold out snack trays, they serve beer and wine, brats, giant pretzels and the rest of the stuff. If you use a phone they kick you out with no refund. AND you can reserve your seat ahead of time.

If a movie I want to see isn't showing there....I don't want to see it. I'm ruined.....in a good way.

Can't wait to see the new 300.

Posted 5 years ago #
  45. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I've been to one of those dinner theaters in NJ and probably won't go back. I was a bit put off by the guy next to me eating a sizzling plate of fajitas. The cushy leather electric recliner was excellent, but the waiters moving around were annoying to me. The experience was just odd.
    Interstingly, the ticket price was a few bucks cheaper than I usually pay in the urban NJ/NYC area.

Posted 5 years ago #
  46. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Ssjones, not a dinner theater.....no waiters traipsing around. Very nice and spacious.

Posted 5 years ago #
  47. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Monument Men

Posted 5 years ago #
  48. User has not uploaded an avatar

johntron76

Login to Send PM

the new "300 Sparta"!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  49. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The new Robocop is actually quite good,features Samuel L Jackson, Michael Keaton, Gary Oldman... Some very good actors there! They changed the story-line quite a bit from the original, but in a good way.

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  50. igloo

igloo

Beware Trouble Maker

Login to Send PM

You can watch them for free on Putlocker if you are are smart enough not to click on any pop up downloads or ads that come up . Just delete those and enjoy .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 5 years ago #
  51. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Who would'nt love zombie beavers! I'm in.

John
    Posted 5 years ago #
  52. houndstooth

houndstooth

Login to Send PM

Houndstooth:

When I taught middle/high school, I used "An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge" each year. Brilliant!

Terry, sorry I miss this when you posted it. Yes, I first saw it in school in the late 70's, I believe. The print I have once belonged to a school. McGraw Hill distributed it, or at least that's what it looks like based on the markings on the cans.

Posted 5 years ago #
  53. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Spammer tanko, take it somewhere else, jeesh

Posted 5 years ago #
  54. User has not uploaded an avatar

rideauwrangler

Login to Send PM

Didn't see it mentioned here...I'm really looking forward to the reboot of the MadMax franchise...really hoping Tom Hardy pulls it off as this is certainly one of my childhood favorites!

ALSO; I started getting into 16mm a couple years ago but found the cost prohibitive and switched to Super-8. I have always had a thing for obsolete home video formats. I have around 20-25 16mm films but all educational and documentaries, no features..I also have way to many projectors (around 15) if anyone close to the Ottawa Valley wants some shelf decor....

Posted 5 years ago #
  55. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Debbie Does the World

" I'm talking about the kind of sound you can feel. When it comes to great stereo you can't beat big speakers, I'm talking about big speakers with big woofers."
    Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mso489, cortezattic, elpfeife, sasquatch, alaskanpiper, jaytex969, steveg11, pylorns, mikethompson, dcon, litup, brooklynpiper