Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
@ Houndstooth
Reading that list of B&W films had me salivating. Night Of The Hunter is one of the most beautifully shot movies ever made. There's nothing to compare with seeing it on a screen in a good print. I'm fortunate to have seen every one of these, and thousands of others over the years, on the big screen. To that list I would also add the 1935 version of A Midsummer Night's Dream Hal Mohr's work, as well as that of his staff, is lustrous. The thing about B&W is that you need to know how to light. There's no color to help differentiate the content in the shot.
As for new movies, there's nothing much that I'm waiting for. Having worked in visual effects for many years, I just don't get excited about them like I used to do. If the story isn't good, no amount of effects will save a film. I'll just see what appeals when it opens.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I am looking forward to Monuments Men but will wait for it to come on ppv. The problem with movie theaters is they tend to get upset when you light up your pipe. :crazy:

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
Sablebrush52, I agree with you 100% about Night of the Hunter. It's one of my favorites, not just because it is beautifully shot, but it's just a great movie, period. Robert Mitchum's performance is so menacing. I also love the surrealistic, faery tale quality of many of the sequences. It's a shame Charles Laughton only directed the one picture.
As for Jay Mohr's work on a Midsummer Night's Dream, it's funny you mention that one. I saw clips of it last year at a special event at the ASC clubhouse. I had never seen it before, but it may be the most beautiful B&W work ever done. Mr. Mohr won the Oscar that year as a "write in" candidate, much to the ire of Jack Warner, I believe the story goes. I would love to find a 16mm print of that movie.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Super Troopers 2!!!! I forgot about that and if it's half as funny as the first one it will be great!!

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
There are quite a few new movies I'm looking forward to in 2014. The first one being the new Robocop, second is The Amazing Spiderman 2, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Gone Girl and Hercules: The Thracian Wars. And I have heard wispers of a new Sin City movie being released this summer!
I really enjoy modern movies, but as has been stated above, you need to watch out for movies that are made to use CG, and movies that actually have good plot and storytelling.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Thats my goal. 500 seats and a full stage , single screen theater. It may never happen; but I just want to see the good stuff...and I know I cant be the only one.

A product thats already made it's profit so I can sell it cheaper, and a concession stand that reflects it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I forgot about this movie, it looks very interesting. I saw the trailer at American Hustle (excellent). "Railway Man" with Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman.
http://youtu.be/bbS_dYEwf2M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbS_dYEwf2M

Aug 14, 2012
I never go to the movies anymore. The theatres are full of bedbugs, you can catch the flu, people are making irritating noises, the price is too high. And it is easy to get into a fight. If that Florida police captain had stayed home he wouldn't be on trial for murder. Not to mention that there is a chance the theatre will be shot up by maniacs. I watch films on cable. Just enjoyed one called "Jayne Mansfield's Car."

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I saw Lone Survivor after reading the book. While it was extremely well done, I found it difficult to watch. The book really gave the reader a more detailed idea of what outstanding Americans these young guys were. To watch them graphically butchered while never losing their desire to finish the mission and stand by their brothers-in-arms was really tough to bear...even though they were actors on the screen. That was probably the first movie I have ever considered walking out of....again, not because it was poorly done.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Rangerearthpig, I know what you mean. After watching both Jarhead and Blackhawk Down I was very lost in my emotions. I had friends in "The Moog" and in my opinion Jarhead did the greatest job of showing that military life, especially combat trades, and the brotherhood that comes with it is never something you shut off or lose. I have never been able to watch either movie again, not because they was done poorly but because of the emotions they bring back to life. Soldier on my friend and know you are never alone on that line.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
The only movie I'll see in a theater this year will be the Hobbit. Which I'll wait a week and go on a Tuesday noon show with 10 people in the audience. I have a nice home theater and don't have to deal with travel, paying, the people and if I want something to eat, I pause and can rewind at a good parts.
Many of the highly hyped movies in the last 10 years have proven to be duds. If something comes out, in my genre and people are cheering I'll either wait or just download it.
The nice change in cable production across the board from writing, acting and editing both movies and especially series is giving us a lot to watch. Many of the "top" actors have moved into these shows because their getting paid.
Craig

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Keeping my fingers crossed for a decent new Star Wars. Also looking forward to the next 300 installment

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
After the girlfriend showing me the trailer last night, I've added Zombeaver to the list.....hahahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.