Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Reviews

Tags:   

G.L. Pease: Gaslight

(62 posts)
  1. hedgehog

hedgehog

Login to Send PM

Hello Smoke Folk.

Here's the effusion on Pease's Gaslight I just posted at Tobaccoreviews.com.

Now I've been to two church socials and a county fair, but I have never encountered a tobacco like Gaslight. When I lit up my first bowl, I wondered whether someone hadn't been storing potpourri in my meerschaum earlier in the week. That's how intensely fragrant Gaslight is. This I attribute to the Orientals, but the Orientals alone wouldn't account for the sheer intensity of flavor you encounter. It is as though Mr. Pease has devised a way to fuse together the spice and herbaciousness of Oriental varieties with the leather and tar of the Latakia, producing some spookily concentrated hybrid wholly unlike its constituent parts. While there's nothing overbearing here (the nicotine is moderate, the burn is even, and the virginias serve to temper and balance the mixture), the experience demands something like total concentration, like an organ concert in surround sound. In the tin, the two bars look at first small and unprepossessing, like a Jenny Craig dessert, albeit a bewitchingly perfumed one. Once you smoke Gaslight, however, those ingots take on a mysterious quality, as though someone informed you on good authority that they'd been quarried out of a black hole. If some tobaccos are all-day tobaccos and some are early-morning or after-dinner smokes, then Gaslight is a hold-my-calls, forward-my-mail, look-after-my-kids I'll-call-you-from-the-other- end-of-the-wormhole mixture. Did I mention that it is wonderful? Because man oh man it is.

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Nice comments. I am opening my 3rd tin tonight. Been very careful not to smoke too much of it too fast. 2 tins first week is not bad. I learn something about it every time i smoke it.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't wait to try it. Great review.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. zekest

zekest

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's on my list!

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Excellent review, Hedgehog.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What a great read!

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just read your review on TR. Seems like you are quite smitten by Gaslight. I'm looking forward to trying it soon. Good write-up and thanks for the post.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. mtnfolkmike

mtnfolkmike

Login to Send PM

great write up.. I recently got 2 tins.. have only smoked a few bowls so far.. it is really good, though i think it might take me a little longer to to get used to..

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. patrickshannonadair

patrickshannonadair

Login to Send PM

Just started my journey with it....enjoying all aspects thus far.

PS Adair
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. patrickshannonadair

patrickshannonadair

Login to Send PM

p.s. Pease is batting .1000 in my camp....5 for 5.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. docwatson

docwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice review but I'll pass. Too many blends open already. But you almost hooked me with the INGOTS description.

It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling---Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

I finally got a couple of tins,
    but I'll wait a little while,
    although it's difficult to let them just sit there,
    it's like they're gaslighting me,
    driving me mad,
    open me open me open me open me

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. stbruno70

stbruno70

Login to Send PM

A fine review. Glad you are enjoying Gas Light.

Mason,Vice President
    Golden Gate Pipe Club
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. escioe

escioe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Someone said something about how this one stands out above even the other godly mixtures in the genre in Pease's catalog. Mark me down for that opinion. And it's the best Pease latakia stache note since Bohemian Scandal.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Just picked up 12 more - have about 6 1/2 lbs of it now.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It really sucks that my TAD funds are depleted at the moment! I hope there's some around when I can afford some!

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. barleynbaccy

barleynbaccy

Login to Send PM

Just ordered a tin to put away for a bit. I can't wait. Mr. Pease has me hooke don his Navigator and Sextant blends.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

1 tin lasts me a couple to few days.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. escioe

escioe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got 12 bowls of various sizes out of my first 1oz bar. And they last forever, too. I smoked for 30 mins today from a half-full group 1 or 2 pipe. In a group 3 or 4, normal sized pipe, it's usually an hour and a quarter or more.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. stbruno70

stbruno70

Login to Send PM

It is a slow smoke, so a little bit goes a long way.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

i was not talking speed here but love. I smoke it a lot throughout the day! You missed my point. Duh!

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. jservant98

jservant98

Login to Send PM

Stellar review hedgehog! I hope to try it very soon. Thanks

He came to His own, but His own rejected Him.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  23. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have so many many open tins (jars) of tobacco, I just don't need any more to try.

Well, maybe just this one...

Thanks, Hedgehog

Allan
    Posted 5 years ago #
  24. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice review hedgehog -Thanks! I purchased a couple tins upon release and it is the only tobacco I have been smoking for the past couple weeks. To be honest I figured it would be ok but I was very surprised -Blown away was more like it. The stuff is amazing and I am confident I will continue be under the spell of this wonderful blend. I just placed an order for a pound and half to put down for the future. Those plugs should age sweet.

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

liltoast

Login to Send PM

Great review, very well written. Been smoking gaslight myself daily for over a week now and ur right it's a very different blend then the rest I've smoked. It's cool and smoky like Latakia blends should be but something about it is just different, and good haha. Great review again, thx!

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. 4nogginsmike

4nogginsmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A most delectable marriage of red VA and latakia, spiced with a complex combination? of Orientals. Most wonderful!

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Got two tins of Gaslight in yesterday. One goes to the cellar and the other gets opened.

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 5 years ago #
  28. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just ordered some, along with a few C&D blends that I haven't tried. I should be set to sample in a few days!

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. mirain

mirain

Login to Send PM

Excellent review.

I had my first taste last night. Upon opening the tin the aroma was unlike any I've experienced. I could smell the sweetness of the Orientals and the boldness of the latakia playing off each other.

The most interesting part was rubbing out the flake and noticing large bits of leaf. I can't recall seeing large pieces like these in other blends.

It was a challenge keeping the bowl lit so I'll let it sit a spell after rubbing it out next time.

The description on the tin is well written (IMO GL is a very prosaic writer) and the last sentence "Discover the mystery.", sums it all up.

It's hard to soar like an eagle when you work with pigeons.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  30. escioe

escioe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had bowls of this burn really easily and other bowls fight staying lit. This is one that requires a light hand in the packing, ie just gravity fill it and don't compact it. It will expand in the bowl, and I think that's what's sabotaged my bowls that won't burn.

I often overpack bowls of tobacco I love, hoping to have a longer smoke. This happens with aged blends a lot, and sometimes with old, out of print stuff. With Gaslight I have to remember that it's currently available, and that all I have to do is buy more. And if I sit on it, it's only going to get better.

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After rading all of this, I Can't wait to get my first tin

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. andrew369

andrew369

Login to Send PM

Sounds really good, will have to pick some up on the next TAD order.

I am not sure if it is just me being weird but does anyone else find the names of a blend sometimes off putting? On first glance of blends like Jackknife and Gaslight all I can think of is my tongue stinging like it was bit by an ant.

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just picked up my first tin, was surprised it was available locally. We have three good pipe shops but all wait awhile before anything new is picked up. It looks like a nice chocolate brownie and has a wonderful aroma. I have not been into Latakia mixtures lately, so this should be interesting.

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  34. jthomas04

jthomas04

Login to Send PM

I really liked gaslight. I picked up a few tins from smokingpipes on its release date. It needs a little drying out of the tin, but smokes well. It makes for a long smoke also, burning slow and cool from my experiences with it. I'd def recommend it, and that goes for all of Greg's blends, apart from Barbary Coast, the only Pease blend that I won't smoke.

Posted 5 years ago #
  35. batdemon

batdemon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been smoking Gaslight for around a week. Greg certainly hit a home run with this blend.
    It is smoky goodness of the highest caliber. Mr. Pease has come up with some excellent lat blends before but this may very well be his finest. I'm betting this will age wonderfully.

Posted 5 years ago #
  36. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

this may very well be his finest.

I think you may be right bat. Gaslight is my favorite GLP blend so far by a long shot. Since I last posted on this thread I had a chance to smoke some Gaslight in one of my meerschaum pipes. It was a great smoke most notably during the last third of the bowl the flavor was extra intense. The neutrality of the meerschaum let the flavor come across even more expansive. I Highly recommend lighting the Gaslight with your favorite meer!

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. doctorthoss

doctorthoss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've smoked three bowls now in three different briars, and…well, WOW!
    This stuff is freaking incredible. Unless this stuff takes a 180 degree turn as it dries and airs out (very very unlikely) this is going to go down as one of Greg's masterpieces. I've been waiting for Greg to release a latakia-heavy flake or plug for a long time, and I am not disappointed. While this isn't the most complex blend of its kind (I imagine the pressing precludes that) it is nonetheless a superbly balanced English/Balkan that features some incredible virginias, excellent orientals and the perfect amount of latakia. I'll do a better review later, but in the meantime….WOW!
    Thanks, Greg, for knocking this one clean out of the proverbial park.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the wise cannot see all ends. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
    Posted 5 years ago #
  38. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just tried it for the first time last week, and while it was pretty good, I wasn't exactly doing backflips! I think I'll just stick, mostly, with my McC's and H&H Lat blends!

Posted 5 years ago #
  39. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the great reviews on this blend Gents...I snagged a few tins and figured since my TAD has been sparked up again, why not some PAD as well to go with

I'm about to fire up my first bowl of Gaslight in a new Stanwell Red Army Mount (19)

Posted 5 years ago #
  40. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gaslight fans:

I haven't seen any mention at all of there being perique in this blend, but I know how Greg loves to stick perique in his blends. The problem is, I simply cannot smoke it. Terrible physical reaction. But I love so many of his other blends. . .

So. . .

Is there any perique in Gaslight?

Bob

Posted 5 years ago #
  41. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm especially enjoying Triple Play right now, but will make a note on Gaslight. GLP does good work.

Posted 5 years ago #
  42. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice stanwell dragon!

Posted 5 years ago #
  43. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Red Army should be so lucky to have a pipe like that!

Posted 5 years ago #
  44. escioe

escioe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just tried it for the first time last week, and while it was pretty good, I wasn't exactly doing backflips! I think I'll just stick, mostly, with my McC's and H&H Lat blends!

One thing I think about lots of Pease's latakia blends is that they take several bowls to get acquainted with. I went through about an ounce of Chelsea Morning before I really got it, and now it's one of my favorites. Same with Kensington. I'm four or five bowls in with Meridian, finding the same thing. The quality is apparent right away, but the nuances that make the blends special take some time.

Of course, I had exactly the opposite reaction to Gaslight. It was love at first slice for me, just like it was with Blackpoint and Quiet Nights.

Posted 5 years ago #
  45. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've tried a few bowls of gaslight and although it doesn't say it on the tin, I believe, as rmbitter said, there is some Perique in it, or some other ingredient that gives it a bite

Not my cup of tea for a Latakia /oriental

Gave it away tonight to someone who enjoyed it

Posted 5 years ago #
  46. philip

Philip

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've tried a few bowls of gaslight and although it doesn't say it on the tin, I believe, as rmbitter said, there is some Perique in it, or some other ingredient that gives it a bite.

From what I understand, after talking to a couple of blenders, it is not uncommon for a blender to add a pinch of perique or something to a blend to tweek the flavor or quality of smoke, but not enough to warrant putting it on the label.

Posted 5 years ago #
  47. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Philip: Yeah, but unfortunately it could well be enough to make a blend unsmokeable to me. But that's not a given, though; Rattray's claims there's perique in Marlin Flake, but I can handle that okay. Might be worth gambling on a tin just to see. . .

Bob

Posted 5 years ago #
  48. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I was generously gifted a whole 1oz plug of Gaslight by Glynn Quelch of GQ Tobaccos and got to try it for the first time earlier today. An intense and potent Latakia lover's dream come true. Wonderful stuff but definitely not one to smoke on an empty stomach. I'm just enjoying my second bowl as I write. As for it containing Perique, the spiciness suggests that it could but that may just be an effect of the addtional fermentation from pressing it into plug form.

Posted 5 years ago #
  49. doctorthoss

doctorthoss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't believe there is any perique in this at all, but …. I smoke a lot of perique and am not at all sensitive to its presence. There is some spice here, but it strikes me as being the kind of complex spiciness I associated with orientals. Why don't you e-mail Greg and see if he will respond?

Posted 5 years ago #
  50. titus

titus

Login to Send PM

First tin is on its way. Excited to try it:)

Posted 5 years ago #
  51. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

doctorthoss:

I actually realized I should have done that in the first place! I've had a bit of correspondence with Greg over the years, and he's always been great about responding.

Bob

Posted 5 years ago #
  52. escioe

escioe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just loaded up a Comoy 182, their biggest billiard, with this stuff. I smoldered Meridian in this pipe for two hours the other day, and given how slow Gaslight burns, I'm thinking it might last all of my two hour dog stroll and then some. Will report back.

Posted 5 years ago #
  53. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just an update:

I e-mailed Greg Pease to ask whether there's perique in this blend, explaining my (rather extreme) sensitivity to that particular leaf.

Without saying that the blend contains perique, he wrote: "Sadly, you're probably best off avoiding Gaslight."

Much appreciated, Greg!

Bob

Posted 5 years ago #
  54. escioe

escioe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very interesting. I'll have to look for it next time I smoke it.

I'll use my reverse Fillmore technique: if you want to find the 2% latakia in Fillmore or Laurel Heights, smoke it in a pipe you usually use for English blends. I'll burn a bowl of Gaslight in my usual Fillmore pipe to see if I can increase the perique's signal-to-noise ratio.

Perique tends to make me sneeze, but it has to be pretty concentrated for that to happen, and even then, I keep smoking it because it's amazing.

Posted 5 years ago #
  55. natibo

natibo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just tried my first 2 bowls. I got tin for Xmas. I'm not a Latakia fan but smoke it on occasion (1-2 bowls a week). I will say that this is my first plug I've smoked. I used my sharpest knife to do it. This knife is so sharp, I'm always afraid I'll cut my fingers off when I use it. But boy did it have trouble cutting this stuff.

I like it! There is a sweetness in it that I like. I love his Odyssey blend but do not care for Westminster. To me, this is more like Odyssey. I'll finish the tin, but then go back to Navy blends/Vapers.

Bo
    Posted 5 years ago #
  56. moses

Moses

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This sounds pretty excellent. Needless to say, it's now on the list.

~seanMoses~
    Posted 5 years ago #
  57. flux

flux

Login to Send PM

Two tins showed up in my mailbox today. Cracked one open, and here's my review: then then

Posted 5 years ago #
  58. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoyed my first bowl of this blend the other day. Very good and I can see this become a favorite of mine.
    As for the Perique question, I don't see any mention of it; just Latakia, Orientals, Mature Red Virginia's and some Turkish tobacco.

Posted 5 years ago #
  59. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess I will have to open one of my tins soon. They have had sufficient rest since I got them.

Posted 5 years ago #
  60. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Did I ever show you my dedicated Gaslight pipe?

Posted 5 years ago #
  61. phil22

phil22

Login to Send PM

Nice pipe Woodsroad. What is it?

Posted 5 years ago #
  62. User has not uploaded an avatar

richc

Login to Send PM

There have a few of Pease's blends that develop a better taste the longer they age. I think Gaslight is one of them. I find this blend a bit strenuous to keep lit although I enjoy the flavor and especially the eye appeal when I open the tin. I've never been let down with any of Pease's blends and so I'll keep one Gaslight cellared and the opened tin will benefit from its exposure to the air. Being a huge fan of rich & dark Latakia blends makes Gaslight a probable winner for me.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   danimalia, ashdigger, mrslaughter, craig61a, cdmjr, jaytex969