PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

liltoast

Lurker
Nov 19, 2013
Great review, very well written. Been smoking gaslight myself daily for over a week now and ur right it's a very different blend then the rest I've smoked. It's cool and smoky like Latakia blends should be but something about it is just different, and good haha. Great review again, thx!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
A most delectable marriage of red VA and latakia, spiced with a complex combination? of Orientals. Most wonderful!

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
Excellent review.
I had my first taste last night. Upon opening the tin the aroma was unlike any I've experienced. I could smell the sweetness of the Orientals and the boldness of the latakia playing off each other.
The most interesting part was rubbing out the flake and noticing large bits of leaf. I can't recall seeing large pieces like these in other blends.
It was a challenge keeping the bowl lit so I'll let it sit a spell after rubbing it out next time.
The description on the tin is well written (IMO GL is a very prosaic writer) and the last sentence "Discover the mystery.", sums it all up.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I've had bowls of this burn really easily and other bowls fight staying lit. This is one that requires a light hand in the packing, ie just gravity fill it and don't compact it. It will expand in the bowl, and I think that's what's sabotaged my bowls that won't burn.
I often overpack bowls of tobacco I love, hoping to have a longer smoke. This happens with aged blends a lot, and sometimes with old, out of print stuff. With Gaslight I have to remember that it's currently available, and that all I have to do is buy more. And if I sit on it, it's only going to get better.

andrew369

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2013
Sounds really good, will have to pick some up on the next TAD order.
I am not sure if it is just me being weird but does anyone else find the names of a blend sometimes off putting? On first glance of blends like Jackknife and Gaslight all I can think of is my tongue stinging like it was bit by an ant. :?

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I just picked up my first tin, was surprised it was available locally. We have three good pipe shops but all wait awhile before anything new is picked up. It looks like a nice chocolate brownie and has a wonderful aroma. I have not been into Latakia mixtures lately, so this should be interesting.

jthomas04

Might Stick Around
Oct 15, 2013
I really liked gaslight. I picked up a few tins from smokingpipes on its release date. It needs a little drying out of the tin, but smokes well. It makes for a long smoke also, burning slow and cool from my experiences with it. I'd def recommend it, and that goes for all of Greg's blends, apart from Barbary Coast, the only Pease blend that I won't smoke.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
I have been smoking Gaslight for around a week. Greg certainly hit a home run with this blend.

It is smoky goodness of the highest caliber. Mr. Pease has come up with some excellent lat blends before but this may very well be his finest. I'm betting this will age wonderfully. :puffy:

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
this may very well be his finest.
I think you may be right bat. Gaslight is my favorite GLP blend so far by a long shot. Since I last posted on this thread I had a chance to smoke some Gaslight in one of my meerschaum pipes. It was a great smoke most notably during the last third of the bowl the flavor was extra intense. The neutrality of the meerschaum let the flavor come across even more expansive. I Highly recommend lighting the Gaslight with your favorite meer! :puffy:

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
I've smoked three bowls now in three different briars, and…well, WOW!

This stuff is freaking incredible. Unless this stuff takes a 180 degree turn as it dries and airs out (very very unlikely) this is going to go down as one of Greg's masterpieces. I've been waiting for Greg to release a latakia-heavy flake or plug for a long time, and I am not disappointed. While this isn't the most complex blend of its kind (I imagine the pressing precludes that) it is nonetheless a superbly balanced English/Balkan that features some incredible virginias, excellent orientals and the perfect amount of latakia. I'll do a better review later, but in the meantime….WOW!

Thanks, Greg, for knocking this one clean out of the proverbial park.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I just tried it for the first time last week, and while it was pretty good, I wasn't exactly doing backflips! I think I'll just stick, mostly, with my McC's and H&H Lat blends!

Jul 12, 2011
Thanks for all the great reviews on this blend Gents...I snagged a few tins and figured since my TAD has been sparked up again, why not some PAD as well to go with :puffy:
I'm about to fire up my first bowl of Gaslight in a new Stanwell Red Army Mount (19)

stanwell-army-mount-red-19-smooth-1gif-599x600.jpg

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Gaslight fans:
I haven't seen any mention at all of there being perique in this blend, but I know how Greg loves to stick perique in his blends. :) The problem is, I simply cannot smoke it. Terrible physical reaction. But I love so many of his other blends. . .
So. . .
Is there any perique in Gaslight?
Bob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm especially enjoying Triple Play right now, but will make a note on Gaslight. GLP does good work.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I just tried it for the first time last week, and while it was pretty good, I wasn't exactly doing backflips! I think I'll just stick, mostly, with my McC's and H&H Lat blends!
One thing I think about lots of Pease's latakia blends is that they take several bowls to get acquainted with. I went through about an ounce of Chelsea Morning before I really got it, and now it's one of my favorites. Same with Kensington. I'm four or five bowls in with Meridian, finding the same thing. The quality is apparent right away, but the nuances that make the blends special take some time.
Of course, I had exactly the opposite reaction to Gaslight. It was love at first slice for me, just like it was with Blackpoint and Quiet Nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.