PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I've tried a few bowls of gaslight and although it doesn't say it on the tin, I believe, as rmbitter said, there is some Perique in it, or some other ingredient that gives it a bite
Not my cup of tea for a Latakia /oriental
Gave it away tonight to someone who enjoyed it

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I've tried a few bowls of gaslight and although it doesn't say it on the tin, I believe, as rmbitter said, there is some Perique in it, or some other ingredient that gives it a bite.

From what I understand, after talking to a couple of blenders, it is not uncommon for a blender to add a pinch of perique or something to a blend to tweek the flavor or quality of smoke, but not enough to warrant putting it on the label.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Philip: Yeah, but unfortunately it could well be enough to make a blend unsmokeable to me. But that's not a given, though; Rattray's claims there's perique in Marlin Flake, but I can handle that okay. Might be worth gambling on a tin just to see. . .
Bob

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I don't believe there is any perique in this at all, but …. I smoke a lot of perique and am not at all sensitive to its presence. There is some spice here, but it strikes me as being the kind of complex spiciness I associated with orientals. Why don't you e-mail Greg and see if he will respond?

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
doctorthoss:
I actually realized I should have done that in the first place! :) I've had a bit of correspondence with Greg over the years, and he's always been great about responding.
Bob

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Just loaded up a Comoy 182, their biggest billiard, with this stuff. I smoldered Meridian in this pipe for two hours the other day, and given how slow Gaslight burns, I'm thinking it might last all of my two hour dog stroll and then some. Will report back.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Just an update:
I e-mailed Greg Pease to ask whether there's perique in this blend, explaining my (rather extreme) sensitivity to that particular leaf.
Without saying that the blend contains perique, he wrote: "Sadly, you're probably best off avoiding Gaslight."
Much appreciated, Greg!
Bob

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Very interesting. I'll have to look for it next time I smoke it.
I'll use my reverse Fillmore technique: if you want to find the 2% latakia in Fillmore or Laurel Heights, smoke it in a pipe you usually use for English blends. I'll burn a bowl of Gaslight in my usual Fillmore pipe to see if I can increase the perique's signal-to-noise ratio.
Perique tends to make me sneeze, but it has to be pretty concentrated for that to happen, and even then, I keep smoking it because it's amazing.

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Just tried my first 2 bowls. I got tin for Xmas. I'm not a Latakia fan but smoke it on occasion (1-2 bowls a week). I will say that this is my first plug I've smoked. I used my sharpest knife to do it. This knife is so sharp, I'm always afraid I'll cut my fingers off when I use it. But boy did it have trouble cutting this stuff.
I like it! There is a sweetness in it that I like. I love his Odyssey blend but do not care for Westminster. To me, this is more like Odyssey. I'll finish the tin, but then go back to Navy blends/Vapers.

flux

Lurker
Jul 25, 2013
Two tins showed up in my mailbox today. Cracked one open, and here's my review: :puffy: then 8O then :mrgreen:

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I enjoyed my first bowl of this blend the other day. Very good and I can see this become a favorite of mine.

As for the Perique question, I don't see any mention of it; just Latakia, Orientals, Mature Red Virginia's and some Turkish tobacco.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Did I ever show you my dedicated Gaslight pipe?
bha1-vi.jpg

richc

Lurker
Jun 6, 2012
There have a few of Pease's blends that develop a better taste the longer they age. I think Gaslight is one of them. I find this blend a bit strenuous to keep lit although I enjoy the flavor and especially the eye appeal when I open the tin. I've never been let down with any of Pease's blends and so I'll keep one Gaslight cellared and the opened tin will benefit from its exposure to the air. Being a huge fan of rich & dark Latakia blends makes Gaslight a probable winner for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.