PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hedgehog

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2013
Hello Smoke Folk.
Here's the effusion on Pease's Gaslight I just posted at Tobaccoreviews.com.
Now I've been to two church socials and a county fair, but I have never encountered a tobacco like Gaslight. When I lit up my first bowl, I wondered whether someone hadn't been storing potpourri in my meerschaum earlier in the week. That's how intensely fragrant Gaslight is. This I attribute to the Orientals, but the Orientals alone wouldn't account for the sheer intensity of flavor you encounter. It is as though Mr. Pease has devised a way to fuse together the spice and herbaciousness of Oriental varieties with the leather and tar of the Latakia, producing some spookily concentrated hybrid wholly unlike its constituent parts. While there's nothing overbearing here (the nicotine is moderate, the burn is even, and the virginias serve to temper and balance the mixture), the experience demands something like total concentration, like an organ concert in surround sound. In the tin, the two bars look at first small and unprepossessing, like a Jenny Craig dessert, albeit a bewitchingly perfumed one. Once you smoke Gaslight, however, those ingots take on a mysterious quality, as though someone informed you on good authority that they'd been quarried out of a black hole. If some tobaccos are all-day tobaccos and some are early-morning or after-dinner smokes, then Gaslight is a hold-my-calls, forward-my-mail, look-after-my-kids I'll-call-you-from-the-other- end-of-the-wormhole mixture. Did I mention that it is wonderful? Because man oh man it is.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Just read your review on TR. Seems like you are quite smitten by Gaslight. I'm looking forward to trying it soon. Good write-up and thanks for the post.

mtnfolkmike

Might Stick Around
Oct 27, 2013
great write up.. I recently got 2 tins.. have only smoked a few bowls so far.. it is really good, though i think it might take me a little longer to to get used to..

May 31, 2012
gaslight-1944-applique-double-450px.gif

I finally got a couple of tins,

but I'll wait a little while,

although it's difficult to let them just sit there,

it's like they're gaslighting me,

driving me mad,

open me open me open me open me
tumblr_m2bbochgao1qzyfwq.gif

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Someone said something about how this one stands out above even the other godly mixtures in the genre in Pease's catalog. Mark me down for that opinion. And it's the best Pease latakia stache note since Bohemian Scandal.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Just ordered a tin to put away for a bit. I can't wait. Mr. Pease has me hooke don his Navigator and Sextant blends.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I got 12 bowls of various sizes out of my first 1oz bar. And they last forever, too. I smoked for 30 mins today from a half-full group 1 or 2 pipe. In a group 3 or 4, normal sized pipe, it's usually an hour and a quarter or more.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I have so many many open tins (jars) of tobacco, I just don't need any more to try.
Well, maybe just this one...
Thanks, Hedgehog

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Nice review hedgehog -Thanks! I purchased a couple tins upon release and it is the only tobacco I have been smoking for the past couple weeks. To be honest I figured it would be ok but I was very surprised -Blown away was more like it. The stuff is amazing and I am confident I will continue be under the spell of this wonderful blend. I just placed an order for a pound and half to put down for the future. Those plugs should age sweet. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.