PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Missing your Mild Brown from Ferndown?
Doing a tantrum dance because you miss your Penzance?
This thread is for putting those elusive or discontinued blends in the hopes that our members will be able to help each other out. If you know where to get a blend, post it here. If you are looking for a blend, this is the place.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I'll start...
My local tobacconist has some tins of the House of Windsor blends that are apparently discontinued. They have a websiteHERE, but their website is awful for pipe smokers (cigar smokers are more their focus). They do, however, take phone orders. They also have some Bjarne tins.
I hope this helps someone out.
-Jason

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I need a tin of Sobranie Reserve

ReserveBlend.jpg

... and John Cotton's Smyrna blend

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
krgulick,

Supposedly, the Samuel Gawith shipment is on the high seas now. If the stars all align we may see it in stores by September. At least that's the story I got the other day at my local pipe shop. I have a little of 1792 left and 3/4 of a tin of Grouse Moore left so I'm hoping that the info is correct.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
papipeguy
Thanks for the heads up. I have been wanting to try 1792 for some time now, but whenever I look for it, no one online has any. Grouse Moor is a favorite of mine. Just finished off a tin last week. Working on Celtic Talisman, which is a nice blend if you can get past the tin aroma. Also have some Kendal Cream Flake on hand, another great one for me, although a little heavy on the nicotine. Got them at 4noggins.com late last month. Be checking out the web in the coming weeks.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
If you haven't tried 1792 before you're in for an experience. It is one of blends where there is no middle. Love it or hate it. I happen to love it. It packs a wallop and the tonquin flavor is unusual.

I'm pretty sure that my local has some in bulk so if you want the name and number of the place let me know.

I'll be there tomorrow and see what he has left.
John

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Yeah, I haven't yet had any of it. Sounds similar to the Kendal as far as packing a nicotine punch. Tried it on an empty stomache and really gave a big shot. Just had some after dinner and it was great. Will have to keep that in mind with 1792. Seems the SG flakes are high on the nicotine. I have been on the OTC cycle for too long and want to try some of the better blends out there. That would be great if you could give me the info on the local shop.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
krgulick

I went to the pipe store today and they do have some 1792 in bulk. If you're interested the store is Tobacco Village, Whitehall, Pa (Allentown area). The phone number is 610-434-1555. Ron Kern is the owner. Very knowledgible and he does ship anywhere.

Good luck,
John

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
John
Thanks very much for checking it out for me. That is great. Used to go to the Whitehall Mall years before LV Mall was even thought about. Was back recently and they really have everything built up since getting the 33 extension to I-78 completed.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
krgulick,

You're welcome. Always happy to help out a fellow piper.

Yeah, the Rte 33 extension is great. Only too 25 years to build 5 miles of road. We've been living here for 18 years and I'm still amazed how things work, or don't, in Rendellvania.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Good news and bad news for Penzance lovers. The good news is that they got a shipment in yesterday. The bad news is that I got the last bag they had at 10:00 this morning.
We talked for a while about the recent drought in the more popular Esoterica blends and nearly EVERYTHING by SG. He told me that their distribution lines have opened back up and they're able to get nearly as much as they did a year or two ago. The problem is that as soon as their customers find out that it's available they're calling in an order and that customers who normally bought 1 tin or 1 bag are buying 3 or 4 (or more). Until more people are convinced that the shortages are over it'll continue to fly off the shelves.
We also discussed the delays in the new Dunhill release and he confirmed what I was told last week by the folks at Iwan Ries. The holdup was caused by legal squabbles between CAO and BAT over distribution rights. Apparently things are back on track and should beavailable by late September.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Since Samuel Gawith blends are hard-to-come-by, I saw at the aforementioned store (see second post in this thread) that they had Grousemoor, Perfection and possibly Westmorland, but I'm not sure on that one. Hope this helps somebody!
-Jason

ryepipe

Lurker
Aug 31, 2010
I have a just opened 8oz foil of Penzance (less one pipeful). Stored the bag for two years before opening and now I'd rather smoke Justice Mixture from Watch City Cigar. Go figure. I'd be willing to trade for oriental-ish blends, nothing as big as Penzance maybe a little sweet but no candy-ish. Someone on the forums recommended McClelland 2050, but I'm open. Contact off list. Thanks Jerry

peace

Lurker
Sep 3, 2010
Does anybody know where (if it still exists) I could find Amphora Green pipe tobacco? It's the favorite brand of someone who works with my wife but now he can't find it anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.