PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
That's it. I just have to say it. I can't bear to hear a full grown man say the word cute. It's a woman's word and only women should use it.
That's all I've got to say about that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are gender specific words, and there are supposedly class specific words. Anyone, male or female,

has to be in the upper 1% to use the word "marvelous." No one says that but those folks. Funny the encoding

bit in language. My sister uses "cute," but she puts a spin on it so it verges on ironic. There's an undertone

of "don't waste my time" in her lingering pronunciation.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Agreed, cute seems like a girls word to me. And in the interest of balance as the BBC might say. Carburettor is a blokes word.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think kids can be cute, and puppies and kittens can be cute, without getting girlish about it.

Or a oily business deal can be too damn cute, although the swear words seem to inoculate cute.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I have no problem with anyone using the word, "Cute," or, "Marvelous," or even, "Delightful," regardless of gender or relative levels of masculinity and/or femininity. Given the current state of communication in a 140 character world, I figure I'm lucky enough if I can discern meaning and intent without nit-picking on how the whole thing was packaged.
Which is not to say I'm a saint, there are definitely phrases and word-uses which make me cringe. I also frequently abuse the use of ellipses... but who's counting?
-- Pat

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I know what you mean, I feel awkward saying that particular word. It's not a manly word like gear, pint or England.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Well the other day I seen a really "cute" kid playing at the Mcdonalds playland. His "delightful" mother was there and was a very kind woman. She also had a "marvelous" fiqure! :nana:

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
In the UK, there are several words which are acceptable for masculine use which are looked upon as "sissy" in the US. Lovely comes to mind. I think it has to do with the macho culture in the colonies. I had a lovely bowl of Stonehaven just this morning. Sorry guys, I'm just trying to be a scunner.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I think it's okay for gay's to use it. Other words that gays can use just fine are "fabulous", "super", and "spiffy."
It just seems normal when they use those words.
However, when your average heterosexual man uses any of these words, it just sounds plain gay.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Words, especially meanings and usage can so very regional that I'd not attend certain behavior to people based on words alone. Evaluating an impression of a person based on speech patterns, usage, and/or regional dialect is pretty superficial, akin to New Yorkers immediately attaching "rube, hayseed or redneck" to anyone with a drawl.
nachman would be in big trouble if he was in the US and asked to borrow a "rubber." I have enough exposure to others and if the accent was evident I'd simply hand him my Eberhard Faber #2. If he made that request to someone in a holler deep in the Appalachians, he'd get either a wide-eyed questioning look or possibly a beating.
briarfriar has a nicely balanced view of words.
I find the study of words fabulously interesting. It's a super way to spend an evening, thumbing through a spiffy OED.

Status
Not open for further replies.