PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
It all depends on how you say it, IMHO. Snarling "[expletive deleted] fabulous" to react to the handle on your double-butted throwing axe breaking during a lumberjack competition is hardly effeminate...

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
fearsclave -- yep.
Or as in an accusation: "You tryin' ta be cute with me?"
y'all carry on here. Other threads to tend to.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Then, too, ... this is the Web. This is what happens in threads. The original post becomes less important than the complex entanglements the responses create. Develops its own momentum and power, until people are investing more in their responses than the original post deserved, and which might embarrass them a bit later. LIke an eBay bidding war where bidders get wrapped up in the auction and pay way more than the item was worth.
We've recently had a 1200+ response thread based entirely on this fact. As for eBay, it continues to be a source of amusement as I watch determined dimwits prove the veracity of P. T. Barnum's theorums of human behavior. A recent example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGLISH-ESTATE-PIPE-BARLING-SPECIAL-EXEXEL-PRE-TRANSITION-/371022860794?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=T78%252B9KpJudwrY%252BG3OygVilRgrvw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
12pups: I actually own a double-bitted throwing axe. Nice little job by Gransfors Bruks, with a shorter handle than their felling axes. I don't actually compete with it, but I occasionally throw it at things as part of my stress management program. Hurling stonking big axes at things is every bit as relaxing as it sounds, perhaps even more.
Anyhow, no word of a joke, I named it "Pixie Twinklebelle".

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I think it's a little difficult to joke sometimes on a forum. For the record, my post was a complete joke. I was actually being extremely sarcastic because I don't give a crap how anyone talks. I was actually trying to make fun of the whole concept of certain words belonging to certain groups. I think sarcasm is a little difficult to express in a post.
Speaking literally, I am 100% pro gay rights, gay marriage, and have many gay friends and relatives and am not at all homophobic. I think that teasing is a step towards familiarity, which is a step towards acceptance.
I use the words Cute, Spiffy, and Fabulous all the time and I am not gay. However, I try not to use the word "Super" because I am afraid it might make me gay. That was sarcasm.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
My neighbour just got a 1968 Karmann Ghia. If I couldn't use the word "cute" to describe it, for fear of sounding effeminate, I would only be able to describe the car as "green"...

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
No, no, kilts are "Awesome".
... and great for playing basketball in!
watch

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
This thread is a bunch of bull and has no place on this forum. Not sorry.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
How about we talk about "buzz words." Where I work we are so full of buzz words that it doesn't even come close to being "cute." "Path forward," "It is what it is" and "It's all good" drive me nuts. It seems the more forward we go on our path the more effin cute we get. Cynicism reigns supreme here as well as a heaping dose of sarcasm. But it's all good if you drink the Kool-Aid.

Status
Not open for further replies.