PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
WTF is up with all the concern on this forum about what is "manly" and what is not? There are threads about it all the time.
I refuse to limit my vocabulary or behavior based on somebody's idea of what is "manly".
As bigvan once said - and I am paraphrasing slightly - "Nothing is less manly than sitting around talking about what is manly."

And as I used to say,back when that stupid book,"Real Men Don't Eat Quiche", was around: "Real men don't give a rat's patoot what anyone else thinks real men do."

:puffy:

I assumed this post was made with a hint of sarcasm. Come on, it would be pathetic to see a group of guys over the age of 14 realistically concerned about whether they seemed manly enough. In fact, as a father with a house full of teenagers (in small town, dirt farming, hunting, fishing Alabama), I think this new generation as being even less concerned with that synthetic machoism we had as kids, if we were even serious about it back then. But, I've never cared much about being in a group that excluded women. In fact it just doesn't seem "manly" to prefer the exclusive company of guys worried about looking "manly." In fact the least manly thing is squealing about how talking about this sarcastic "manliness" offends them, lol.

The OP just seemed to be provoking some good-natured back slapping.
To me the most manly things are helping someone who needs help, making people smile, and making one woman feel like she is the world in which I revolve. Being a dick is the exact opposite of manliness, IMO.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I've been trying to avoid these types of posts, but I'll weigh in...
You quoted me correctly, Jud, thanks.
Cosmic, I can't imagine how anyone can infer sarcasm from, "That's it. I just have to say it. I can't bear to hear a full grown man say the word cute. It's a woman's word and only women should use it. That's all I've got to say about that." And regarding your opinion of, "Being a dick is the exact opposite of manliness," I can't remember the last time I read something so succinctly well put. Bravo!
12pups, you joined the Forums about a month ago and seem to start a new post every day. Was this just a matter of posting something off the top of your head just to keep up your daily average? Or was this in response to something that happened here in the forums? Regardless, you're quite entitled to your opinion, just as others are entitled to agree or disagree with them, and still others who simply tire of them and ignore them.
Now I'm going to go back to the posts about pipes and tobaccos.

pipetraveler

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2014
Most of us on this site speak the same language, some slander it more than others. Pipetraveler

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
You know, the ancient Egyptians had some very interesting views on the masculine and feminine.

Aug 14, 2012
Relax Pups. I got called cute by a woman recently. I liked it. And I believe she would find you cute too. She likes beards.

Status
Not open for further replies.