Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk » British Pipes

Tags:   

BBB Pipe Shapes

(90 posts)
  1. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Guys recently I became obsessed by BBB pipes. I am trying to start a list of their massive range of pipes. I would be greatful if you could contribute to this thread with shape numbers, shapes type of stems, nomenclature and metal or stamped logos on stems and finish. All information from your collections greatly welcome along with photos and coments.
    Thanks owen

note. I have the BBB 1912 catalogue reproduction and am aware of the awesome info on the pipepages.com website.

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a BBB Thorneycroft 529 Dublin. Its in my profile pic. Metal BBB logo.

Jason
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I love BBB's. Mine all have metal logo's. I'll look at them and post them up.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

Here's a bad pic of a 30's or 40's (I suspect) chubby billiard simply stamped with the BBB diamond and Best Make, imprint logo instead of metal inlay and the stem is also stamped hand cut , I'll try to take better pix later...

Here's a 30's (I suspect) Ripple.
    I love this pipe.

Here's a great article by the very knowledgeable Jacques Cole,
    http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/documentStore/x/h/j/xhj30g00/Sxhj30g00.pdf

A great blog post by N.A.R.,
    http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2010/11/23/two-great-war-vintage-pipes-from-bbb-britains-best-briars.html

Pipephil is essential if you haven't looked there already,
    http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-bbb.html

New old stock BBB's made in the 80's are still available,
    http://www.alpascia.com/pipes/l/BBB

One of the best BBB collections I've ever seen,
    Monpe's Best Briar
    http://blog.zaq.ne.jp/monpe/category/1/

A few scarce BBB's
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=70833

http://www.thepiperack.com/blue-chip-estate-pipe-1920s-bbb-glokar-canadian-amberiod-glokar-stem/

http://www.thepiperack.com/x-sold-blue-chip-estate-pipe-1913-bbb-hallmarked-bent-apple-near-mint/

http://www.thepiperack.com/blue-chip-estate-pipe-1905-bbb-silver-spigot-albatross-lounge-bent-billiard-mint/

http://www.smokingmetal.co.uk/pipe.php?page=507

I would LOVE to own this cased set,
    so damn nice!

A couple of threads,
    http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/bbb-bent-billiard

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/restoration-questions-re-odd-bbb-pipe-pics

Here's an old advertising mirror,

Diggers in England uncovering a long lost BBB enamel sign at a landfill,

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys great stuff and I will pick over it all and update my list. This will keep me going until I can afford some more pipes. I must say the prices things are going for on ebay are all over the place.
    owen

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

I must say the prices things are going for on ebay are all over the place.

Yeah, they are.

The early BBB's usually fetch a good sum,
    it's dependent on condition of course.

Sometimes things slip through the cracks and you can find a good deal,
    but that's becoming more rare nowadays it seems...

Did you see the old wood BBB display case that recently sold?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BBB-HIGH-CLASS-TOBACCO-PIPE-STORE-DISPLAY-CASE-/281429309721?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41867e7919&nma=true&si=rOtaurHG%252FDuH%252BOYJ%252BUSWzZhH8mo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It was up the prior week too, and I had my eye on it.
    It went unsold.
    Dammit, in retrospect I wish I would have grabbed it,
    $70 would have been a deal!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/281421710062?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mrlowercase I am glad I didnt see it. Your early Ripple pipe with the red diamond on like the one on the passion for pipes page is for me as good as it gets.
    null
    I was caught by the magnitude of this christmas set. Would have been nice in the display case.
    I just recieved yesterday an empty 3 bulldog Companion case No.664 in the catalogue.
    Owen

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. goldsm

goldsm

Login to Send PM

BBB OWN MAKE VIRGIN 403 Straight Bulldog Dark-Brown Smooth has metal inner tube and metal logo.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

I just recieved yesterday an empty 3 bulldog Companion case No.664 in the catalogue.

Good grab, you got a nice deal. if it had been for billiards I may have been bidding the price up!

About the link,
    I've dealt with William on several occasions and he's a great guy, back when I was really into Stanwells I snagged some from him, along with a few other cool things. He's always got interesting stuff!

Here's something you might run across in your BBB searches, I believe this is a Wally Frank BBB,
    http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/restored-bbb-bulldog-pipe

"After the final Cadogan merger, BBB was simply another trade name, with a lot of new "grades" introduced, stamped on pretty much anything produced anywhere (initially the big consolidated Cadogan factory that supplied the world with "BBB"s, "Charatans," "Comoys" &c. After that petered out, from France).

A little before or possibly at the same time as this, Wally Frank bought the American rights to the BBB logo and stamped (not inlaid) this on the BBBs he produced. On the basis of a sample size of one, they're as fine a pipe as anything England ever put out, but the contraction & difficulties in the market made him close the plant and send the machinery over to Italy under contract. The DiMontes that resulted were actually pretty good but didn't last more than a few years either."

An interesting old advertising journal praising the techniques of BBB's print campaign,
    http://books.google.com/books?id=arApAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA6-PA74&dq=%22bbb+pipes%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=r8EQVPz8OI2cyATtj4LgCQ&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAzgo#v=onepage&q=%22bbb%20pipes%22&f=false

Harvard class of 1913 got BBB pipes!
    http://tech.mit.edu/archives/VOL_029/TECH_V029_S0168_P001.pdf

Cadogan sells BBB cufflinks!
    http://www.cadogan-gifts.co.uk/ViewItem.php?item=3498&cat=21&subcat=101&goToPage=&return=0&qs=

And,
    HOLY SHIT!
    ...find of the day is this:

112 pages!!!!

Unbelievably incredible and a bookish thing I so desire!

It appears to be from a seller in Spain,
    sadly they want 150 €

http://www.elsgnoms.com/ficha.php?ref=10163

Profusamente ilustrado.

DAMN!

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. klause

klause

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Owen, I've just scored THIS.

I love the shape (and well loved, battered state) of this pipe. I've noticed I'm gravitating almost exclusively to this type of old pipe - they make my heart beat a little faster and the hair on the back of my neck stand on end (in a good way) - these old pipes have an energy I find irresistible.

I also have 3 other vintages BBBs (there might be a couple more, I'll have to have a nosey about) - a bent Glokar, a beautiful little Opera pipe with military stem, and a Meer' billiard also with a military stem kicking around here somewhere.

The Glokar and Opera pipes have vulcanite stems, while the Meer' has an amber one. The briars are stamped BBB on the shank, no numbers etc. The silver is all hall marked, stamped BBB and AF & Co, as is the silver on the Meer'.

As you can see from the pics in the link, my latest is marked with 'Own Make', and the name of the tobacconist/supplier, Moffat & Saunders, Bradford.

I'll get pictures of the others up as soon as I can. Hope this helps.

Ars longa, vita brevis.

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Klaus thats great and what a bargain. Is it 1904? I check e bay daily and missed that one. A lovely shape and great stampings.

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Klaus, a buy it now I see what a great deal and good timing. Let us know how it smokes.
    owen

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I believe shape numbers and metal rondels on the stems didn't come in until the late 20s or early 30s.

Here's my 1905 bulldog with the Glokar stem (it's like the Peterson P-lip, but more like a slot than a hole), and a 1912 bent apple/billiard. The apple is very small and stubby, but the bowl is a decent group-2 or so.

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1912 diamond-shank bent billiard.

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1909 footed cutty.

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I saw this one and wondered how old it might be.

Al

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Al, can you see a date letter on it? That's a cool little pipe. Yours?

Posted 4 years ago #
  18. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Nope, that is the one Klaus mentioned a few posts earlier. (link in the word "this")
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141482495282?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Posted 4 years ago #
  19. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry. I thought it looked familiar.

Looks like 1914 to me.

Posted 4 years ago #
  20. buckaroo

buckaroo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Those are beautiful old shapes, P. I have a 1907 billiard and a 60's? squat bulldog Rare Grain 427. I never knew the term for the p-lip like stem on the 1907. Thx.

Posted 4 years ago #
  21. buckaroo

buckaroo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 4 years ago #
  22. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sweet billiard, buckaroo. The proportions on that one are really nice.

Posted 4 years ago #
  23. klause

klause

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pitchfork those are absolutely gorgeous - especial the apple and diamond shank - i could loook at those all day.

Buckaroo, your billiard is really quite beautiful - a true classic - the bulldog's not half bad either

Owen, that pipe is 1914 from what I can make out, and yes, a steal at the buy-it-now price. I think I hesitated for all of a 1/2 a second!

Anyway, the pics I promised.

Glokar before cleaning:

Meer' before cleaning and waxing:

Opera Pipe after major scrub up:

Al, thanks for posting the pic from the link - appreciated.

Posted 4 years ago #
  24. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never seen a Glokar military mount before. That's really cool. That's a gorgeous meer, too.

Posted 4 years ago #
  25. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also have this 1914 billiard. It has a flat/oval shank, but the sides are "sharp" or pointed.

Posted 4 years ago #
  26. klause

klause

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

WOAH!!!!!!

That right there is absolutely gorgeous - to call that elegant would be a complete understatement.

Beautiful!

Posted 4 years ago #
  27. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, klause. I think I paid $20 for it.

OK, last of my BBB's. It's a 1902 Liverpool (I guess), but this one is tiny. I think the stem is a (very old) replacement, but it's a great little pipe for ropes and other strong tobaccos. Or if you just want a short smoke. With a rope or dense flake, though, it can give a good 30-minute smoke.

Posted 4 years ago #
  28. klause

klause

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pitchfork, you're killing me! $20? That is the bargain of the year. I reckon that makes it smoke all the more sweetly, huh?

The Liverpool is super - I really like that.

I have a couple of smaller pipes of similiar proportions(not BBBs, sadly) that I am really starting to appreciate. The shorter, more intense experience is just the ticket - increasingly so, lately. Its akin to having a nip of a good scotch, as opposed to a pint of ale! The older I get, the more I'm moving towards sipping, as opposed to gulping

Thanks for the pics - it's a treat to see such outstanding pipes.

Posted 4 years ago #
  29. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Funny story about the bulldog with the Glokar stem. I bought it just because it was old, had a silver band and it just had that antique look to it that I was looking for at the time. I really didn't know BBB from GBD from Barling to be honest, but I liked the look of the pipe.

Anyhow, I get the damn thing in the mail and the stem was sticking halfway out of the shank, it felt like acrylic and it had "Glokar" written on it. I was absolutely positive that it was some modern Danish stem that someone jammed into my nice antique pipe. It wasn't until later that I got the stem to fit properly and figured out that the stem was original. I 'm still not sure what that stem is made of -- it doesn't oxidize and it's a bit harder than vulcanite, not quite as hard as acrylic -- but I was positive at first that I had ended up with the booby prize. It's one of my favorite pipes, now, though.

Posted 4 years ago #
  30. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

I
    AM
    IN
    AWE
    ! ! !

Some of the most beautiful ancient BBB's I've seen,
    enough to make my heart skip a beat.

Posted 4 years ago #
  31. klause

klause

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

enough to make my heart skip a beat.

Every time I reach for one of these old pipes, Troy, that is exactly what happens. ;-).

Pitchfork, that's a cracking story, and made me smile in recognition. In relation to the Glokar stem, I've wondered about its composition myself. Mine arrived as you see it in the picture above - no oxidation or real wear and tear - just needed a wipe and polish with some wax. As you say, it looks and feels like acrylic but isn't. Strange thing is, I have a few old pipes with stems that seem to be made of the same, or very similar, material - very robust, to say the least. I have always assumed that they were just vulcanite of an exceptionally high quality.

I have other pipes of similar vintage with standard vulcanite stems that are buggers to maintain and very soft - but, also, very comfortable.

Posted 4 years ago #
  32. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here is my one contribution to the BBB thread and this one smokes really well even if a tad bit on the heavy side - but you cannot have everything now!

Posted 4 years ago #
  33. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice pipes and some jealousy inducing bargains.

Posted 4 years ago #
  34. klause

klause

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Owen, another one to toss into the mix:

BBB 1909

Is this shape in your catalogue?

Posted 4 years ago #
  35. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Klaus did you win this? Its awesome. I havent seen one before the proportions are outstanding and what a bargain.
    owen

Posted 4 years ago #
  36. klause

klause

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Owen, just had a nerve wracking hour or so as I watched the price climb - but, yes, this is going to be heading my way.

I think you're spot on with your observations about proportions etc. Not as nice as Pitchforks diamond shanked billiad, above, but quite exquisite, none-the-less.

Definitely got it at a good price. It'll be interesting to see exactly what is stamped on the pipe.

Posted 4 years ago #
  37. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BBB
    this one is hurting me, ticking all the boxes.

Posted 4 years ago #
  38. klause

klause

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep - thats a beauty, alright.

I've been looking at this one:

BBB1916

But, there's something about the shank that's ringing alarm bells - it looks as though it's been shortened (no BBB stamp on it) and the stem looks a little 'out', if you get my drift.

Still, and interesting pipe.

Posted 4 years ago #
  39. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Klaus
    The diamond shanks are rather nice. Will you post a pick when it comes to show the size and shape compared to something else. As i really love it. It amazes me that people are not paying a lot more for these, as chewed up old thorneycrofts are going for more money.
    owen

Posted 4 years ago #
  40. klause

klause

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Owen, not a problem.

Yes, it staggers me that people aren't all over these like a fungus. These older pipes are probably the finest pipes I have, and the ones I turn to more than any other - still, its my gain

As soon as it gets to me I'll post a couple of pics.

Posted 4 years ago #
  41. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cheers Klaus,
    I hope they get much more recognition as soon as you have a caseful. I cant see anything like the mutant one you had a link to. I agree with you on that, it could even be a frankenpipe made from 3 donors. The band is interesting as usually from what ive seen the stampings run horizontally rather than around the band. I need to buy more to compare. Maybe the quantity of these earlier pipes is keeping prices down and im glad you are doing your best to rectify that.
    owen

Posted 4 years ago #
  42. klause

klause

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I need to buy more to compare.

That made me laugh out loud, Owen. Still sniggering now, just thinking about it.

I applaud your resilience and sacrifice in the name of research. You've motivated me to redouble my efforts!! Obviously, as a result, my wife will not hold you in the esteem I do..........

Posted 4 years ago #
  43. buckaroo

buckaroo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Added a 1919 Own Make some weeks ago and I forgot about my slightly newer trusty Thornycroft 428 that hangs just right.

Posted 4 years ago #
  44. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

buckaroo, I love the 1919 Own Make. Perfect bent pipe in my opinion.

Posted 4 years ago #
  45. buckaroo

buckaroo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thx.

Posted 4 years ago #
  46. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I agree a perfect bent. What is the weight? (guessing approx 30 grams?)

Posted 4 years ago #
  47. buckaroo

buckaroo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Heavier than I expected and apparently you as well as it's 48 g/ 1.70 oz believe it or not. Not a terribly huge pipe (as you can imagine by the production year, etc.) at 5" diagonal, so a bit surprising.

I'm looking forward finally lighting it up soon and it sounds like you guys are also smoking your very old briars and not just displaying them which I think is fantastic. Thanks.

btw, I have not worked on the stem. Don't see any oxidation and it's in quite remarkable condition. Does feel a bit like acrylic.

Posted 4 years ago #
  48. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

btw - I have not worked on the stem. Don't see any oxidation and it's in quite remarkable condition. Does feel a bit like acrylic.

It's hard to tell from the pic, but from the look of the button, I'm guessing it's a Glokar stem (like the P-lip, but rectangular, not round). No? I have a Glokar stem bulldog and there is 0 oxidation and it does indeed feel a bit like acrylic. I'm not sure anyone knows what these are made of, but I'm pretty sure it's not vulcanite.

Posted 4 years ago #
  49. buckaroo

buckaroo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Correct, pitchfork. It's just like the 1907 Billiard I first posted in this thread. I thought I just got lucky with the stem on that one as it is also in great shape, but after reading your insightful comments above I wonder too what the material is. Very high quality vulcanite unlike anything we see today even in high grades?! mmmmmmm. What else could it be? It's not bakelite. It is safe to smoke, right?! Haha. Where's Steve from Reborn when you need him?

Posted 4 years ago #
  50. klause

klause

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Buckaroo, that is just gorgeous!!!!! Congrats on the acquisition.

Posted 4 years ago #
  51. klause

klause

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Buckaroo, that is just gorgeous!!!!! Congrats on the acquisition.

Posted 4 years ago #
  52. klause

klause

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Owen, pics as promised. The plug is for scale - as you probably know, that plug is only 25 gms, and hence is very small. The pipe, as you can see, is very small indeed.

Sorry for poor pics.

Posted 4 years ago #
  53. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Klaus, thanks for that. I stand by my previous comments on the shape, it has a really nice form. The top view of the stem is something to its almost as wide as the chamber. A great design all round.
    Owen

Posted 4 years ago #
  54. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looking back over this thread its clear these early BBB pipes have outstanding forms.

Posted 4 years ago #
  55. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My 1893 pipe

Posted 4 years ago #
  56. klause

klause

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh! B'Jeebus!!!!!!

That is absolutely beautiful. I'm completely envious, Owen. Amazing condition, and gorgeous shape.

Yes, Owen, you are right, those early BBBs have outstanding forms - I'm staggered by the aesthetic - smoking qualities are non-to-shabby, either.

Great thread, this

Posted 4 years ago #
  57. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

klause, I love the little bent apple/billiard. I mostly smoke strong plugs, flakes and burleys, so that size is just about right. What year is it marked?

Posted 4 years ago #
  58. klause

klause

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pitchfork, it's stamped for 1909.

I haven't smoked it yet, but think it's definitely a plug pipe - it is the perfect size, and shape - sits in the hand beautifully, and is ultra light. I'll let ha know how it goes

Posted 4 years ago #
  59. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looking forward to that report, klause. Great pipe. Never seen one like it.

Posted 4 years ago #
  60. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You fellas have some beautiful old BBBs. I am still hunting for an early 20th century hallmarked BBB. My oldest are a cased pair of Ultima Thule pipes.

Life contains a particle of risk. - Allardyce T. Meriweather in Little Big Man
    Posted 4 years ago #
  61. klause

klause

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Owen, sorry for the long delay, - but, here is the pipe I had hidden away in a safe place:

The Billiard is fairly standard (still have to polish the stem), and is there to give an idea of the size of the other.

Posted 4 years ago #
  62. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wonderful Klause, I bet you look very debonair walking around town smoking that. How does the stem feel? Is it soft or more of a hard plastic type?
    Owen

Posted 4 years ago #
  63. klause

klause

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Debonair is not the word that has been hurled at me, Owen ;-).

The stem is that weird really old material that just does not seem to oxidise. Great stuff - quite hard.

On another note, I picked up these this afternoon.

A bit more than I really wanted to pay, but the military mounts were what I was after - the BBB was the icing on the cake. Do you know anything about this shape? Possible era? Looks to be pre-mid-twenties (orific stem).

Posted 4 years ago #
  64. gripsie

Eddy

Login to Send PM

Wonderful recent additions, Jason! The classic straight BBB Billard - not the Churchwarden - how large is it? It has some beautiful proportions.

Can you post pictures of these three pipes you picked up recently? The pictures in the eBay link are not displayed any longer..

Best, Eddy

Posted 4 years ago #
  65. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Klause that Bulldog is very fine. Love the 'hand cut' stem it certainly looks early doesn't it. There are a number of pipes in the BBB book with hand cut written on the stems. Some of which screw in so be careful. But no bulldog illustrated.
    owen
    Have you the book?

Posted 4 years ago #
  66. klause

klause

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Eddy - it is a gorgeous pipe - I'll get some measurements for you when I get home - its not large, but feels great in the hand. If I remember its an early 20's pipe, but I'll confirm that later. I just need to finish the clean-up on it

Pic's of the 3:

(Pipe on left is a Ben Wade, and the one on the right is an Ellis Patent)

The BBB:

Thanks for the heads up about the screw in stem, Owen - good to know. I've never come across the Hand Cut stem on an old BBB before, so was wondering if its original. I thought the shape a little unusual, but very cool - it wouldn't usually catch my attention, but as an extra on top of the Ben Wade, I'm delighted - and, the more i look at the pictures, the more I like it - sad thing is that theres no way to date it. I had hoped that if it was in a catalogue somewhere I could get a rough guess-timate. Nevermind.

I don't have the book you mention - never even seen it - sounds interesting - i take it its a fairly hefty lump of paper?

Posted 4 years ago #
  67. klause

klause

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Eddy, details are:

Length: 5 1/2 inches
    Bowl Height: 1 3/4 inches
    Bowl Interior Height: 1 1/4 inches
    Outside Bowl Width: 1 1/4 inches
    Bowl Width: 3/4 inch
    Weight:45 grams

It was made in 1920.

Posted 4 years ago #
  68. gripsie

Eddy

Login to Send PM

Wow Jason - these three are stunning!! Love the two Chubby Apples! They are rather small, I guess? Can the Ellis be dated?

Congratulations - enjoy theses beautiful acquisitions

Eddy

Posted 4 years ago #
  69. klause

klause

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Eddy, the Ellis is hall marked, so, once it arrives, it should be easy to date. However, going on HunterTRW's research, it looks like very early 20th century.

They all look like small pipes, for sure - so, perfect

It was the little Ben Wade that I really wanted, the other 2 were a bonus - but given the information HunterTRW has unearthed, the Ellis seems like a very special little pipe, and I'm looking at it with a new appreciation. The little BBB looks like the perfect pipe to sit in the woods with for an hour or so, early on a summer morning, watching the world wake up.

I think I'm definitely going to enjoy them, Eddy - thanks.

Posted 4 years ago #
  70. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

These briars have passed the test of time. Must have been some careful owners and some long years in safe, dry storage, in drawers and attics. It's a great credit to the make that so many have lasted in such good shape and withstood so much good use. They honor the pipe making trade and craft and shame the makers who don't do such commendable work. Impressive, very impressive.

Posted 4 years ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   judcole