PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

I need to buy more to compare.
That made me laugh out loud, Owen. Still sniggering now, just thinking about it.
I applaud your resilience and sacrifice in the name of research. You've motivated me to redouble my efforts!! Obviously, as a result, my wife will not hold you in the esteem I do..........

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Added a 1919 Own Make some weeks ago and I forgot about my slightly newer trusty Thornycroft 428 that hangs just right.
2a7vk91.jpg

24lvcbd.jpg

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Heavier than I expected and apparently you as well as it's 48 g/ 1.70 oz believe it or not. Not a terribly huge pipe (as you can imagine by the production year, etc.) at 5" diagonal, so a bit surprising.
I'm looking forward finally lighting it up soon and it sounds like you guys are also smoking your very old briars and not just displaying them which I think is fantastic. Thanks.
btw, I have not worked on the stem. Don't see any oxidation and it's in quite remarkable condition. Does feel a bit like acrylic.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
btw - I have not worked on the stem. Don't see any oxidation and it's in quite remarkable condition. Does feel a bit like acrylic.
It's hard to tell from the pic, but from the look of the button, I'm guessing it's a Glokar stem (like the P-lip, but rectangular, not round). No? I have a Glokar stem bulldog and there is 0 oxidation and it does indeed feel a bit like acrylic. I'm not sure anyone knows what these are made of, but I'm pretty sure it's not vulcanite.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Correct, pitchfork. It's just like the 1907 Billiard I first posted in this thread. I thought I just got lucky with the stem on that one as it is also in great shape, but after reading your insightful comments above I wonder too what the material is. Very high quality vulcanite unlike anything we see today even in high grades?! mmmmmmm. What else could it be? It's not bakelite. It is safe to smoke, right?! Haha. Where's Steve from Reborn when you need him?
2lvbeau.jpg

2j0fqk7.jpg

K

klause

Buckaroo, that is just gorgeous!!!!! Congrats on the acquisition.

K

klause

Buckaroo, that is just gorgeous!!!!! Congrats on the acquisition.

K

klause

Owen, pics as promised. The plug is for scale - as you probably know, that plug is only 25 gms, and hence is very small. The pipe, as you can see, is very small indeed.
image11-e1424361004455.jpeg

image1-21-e1424360962522.jpeg

image1-11-e1424360899206.jpeg

Sorry for poor pics.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Klaus, thanks for that. I stand by my previous comments on the shape, it has a really nice form. The top view of the stem is something to its almost as wide as the chamber. A great design all round.

Owen

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Looking back over this thread its clear these early BBB pipes have outstanding forms.

K

klause

Oh! B'Jeebus!!!!!!
That is absolutely beautiful. I'm completely envious, Owen. Amazing condition, and gorgeous shape.
Yes, Owen, you are right, those early BBBs have outstanding forms - I'm staggered by the aesthetic - smoking qualities are non-to-shabby, either.
Great thread, this :)

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
klause, I love the little bent apple/billiard. I mostly smoke strong plugs, flakes and burleys, so that size is just about right. What year is it marked?

K

klause

Pitchfork, it's stamped for 1909.
I haven't smoked it yet, but think it's definitely a plug pipe - it is the perfect size, and shape - sits in the hand beautifully, and is ultra light. I'll let ha know how it goes :)

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
You fellas have some beautiful old BBBs. I am still hunting for an early 20th century hallmarked BBB. My oldest are a cased pair of Ultima Thule pipes.

K

klause

Owen, sorry for the long delay, - but, here is the pipe I had hidden away in a safe place:
image7-e1428825283111.jpg

image10-e1428825171655.jpg

The Billiard is fairly standard (still have to polish the stem), and is there to give an idea of the size of the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.