PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Wonderful Klause, I bet you look very debonair walking around town smoking that. How does the stem feel? Is it soft or more of a hard plastic type?

Owen

K

klause

Debonair is not the word that has been hurled at me, Owen ;-).
The stem is that weird really old material that just does not seem to oxidise. Great stuff - quite hard.
On another note, I picked up these this afternoon.
A bit more than I really wanted to pay, but the military mounts were what I was after - the BBB was the icing on the cake. Do you know anything about this shape? Possible era? Looks to be pre-mid-twenties (orific stem).

gripsie

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
Wonderful recent additions, Jason! The classic straight BBB Billard - not the Churchwarden - how large is it? It has some beautiful proportions.
Can you post pictures of these three pipes you picked up recently? The pictures in the eBay link are not displayed any longer..
Best, Eddy

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Klause that Bulldog is very fine. Love the 'hand cut' stem it certainly looks early doesn't it. There are a number of pipes in the BBB book with hand cut written on the stems. Some of which screw in so be careful. But no bulldog illustrated.

owen

Have you the book?

K

klause

Thanks, Eddy - it is a gorgeous pipe - I'll get some measurements for you when I get home - its not large, but feels great in the hand. If I remember its an early 20's pipe, but I'll confirm that later. I just need to finish the clean-up on it ;-)
Pic's of the 3:
Three-1-e1429080269158.jpg

(Pipe on left is a Ben Wade, and the one on the right is an Ellis Patent)
The BBB:
Three-3-e1429080240684.jpg

Thanks for the heads up about the screw in stem, Owen - good to know. I've never come across the Hand Cut stem on an old BBB before, so was wondering if its original. I thought the shape a little unusual, but very cool - it wouldn't usually catch my attention, but as an extra on top of the Ben Wade, I'm delighted - and, the more i look at the pictures, the more I like it - sad thing is that theres no way to date it. I had hoped that if it was in a catalogue somewhere I could get a rough guess-timate. Nevermind.
I don't have the book you mention - never even seen it - sounds interesting - i take it its a fairly hefty lump of paper?

K

klause

Eddy, details are:
Length: 5 1/2 inches

Bowl Height: 1 3/4 inches

Bowl Interior Height: 1 1/4 inches

Outside Bowl Width: 1 1/4 inches

Bowl Width: 3/4 inch

Weight:45 grams
It was made in 1920.

gripsie

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
Wow Jason - these three are stunning!! Love the two Chubby Apples! They are rather small, I guess? Can the Ellis be dated?
Congratulations - enjoy theses beautiful acquisitions :)
Eddy

K

klause

Eddy, the Ellis is hall marked, so, once it arrives, it should be easy to date. However, going on HunterTRW's research, it looks like very early 20th century.
They all look like small pipes, for sure - so, perfect ;-)
It was the little Ben Wade that I really wanted, the other 2 were a bonus - but given the information HunterTRW has unearthed, the Ellis seems like a very special little pipe, and I'm looking at it with a new appreciation. The little BBB looks like the perfect pipe to sit in the woods with for an hour or so, early on a summer morning, watching the world wake up.
I think I'm definitely going to enjoy them, Eddy - thanks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
These briars have passed the test of time. Must have been some careful owners and some long years in safe, dry storage, in drawers and attics. It's a great credit to the make that so many have lasted in such good shape and withstood so much good use. They honor the pipe making trade and craft and shame the makers who don't do such commendable work. Impressive, very impressive.

K

klause

MSO - you're bang on - agree with you completely. These old pipes are in a world of their own.
Owen, its a push stem, not a screw out jobbie. But, never-the-less, it's a gorgeous pipe.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
http://www.ebay.com/itm/British-Thorneycroft-Imported-Match-Grain-7pc-Pipe-Collectors-Set-7-Days-a-Week-/131493058741?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e9d98d8b5
I bet this 7 day set of BBB thorney croft will bring a mint.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I bought this one off the 'Bay a few days ago ($17 shipped), its a little rough, but the "Highest Grade" stamping intrigued me. Its got a Pat. # too. I would call it a zulu, shape #24. I looked at the diamond shape in the stem with a 10X loupe, and it looks to be an ivory inset. I could not find much information about it.
You BBB experts have any thoughts/comments?

K

klause

Dixie, that is really quite amazing - a thing of silvery beauty. How are you getting on with it? I've never seen one quite like it - gorgeous. Congrats on a super find.
Beefeater, can't help I'm afraid, but......that is a quite sublime pipe.........the shape is so elegant - love the graceful simplicity..........hope it brings you years of pleasure.

May 31, 2012
Dixie - an incredible pipe!

8O

A real jawdropper.

Thanks for sharing.
Beefeater - yours looks like one of the WDC produded BBB's made at the College Point factory, so it narrows the age range to 20's/30's era!

See here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/wdc-estate-fraternity-pipe-phi-kappa-alpha

&

here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pipe-ads-from-1922-comoy-bbb-peterson-etc
-
kqrZT1q.jpg

53Zh46N.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.