PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
I tried a lot but recently I found my grail. The brebbia bowl flame. It's the most efficient lighter.
Looks nice... Are they as windproof as a windproof Zippo? I only smoke outside, and I've tried a lot of butane lighters that claim to be windproof, but they simply aren't. So far, my windproof Zippo is the only lighter that comes close. I'd like to try a brebbia, but they seem to be kinda pricey...

SendoT

Lurker
Jan 14, 2024
Paris - France
Yes, windproof with a constant flame. And it's gaz, so better than fuel.
Looks nice... Are they as windproof as a windproof Zippo? I only smoke outside, and I've tried a lot of butane lighters that claim to be windproof, but they simply aren't. So far, my windproof Zippo is the only lighter that comes close. I'd like to try a brebbia, but they seem to be kinda pricey...

Reactions: MartyA

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'd avoid them. It's a butane torch and could easily burn a pipe.

SendoT

Lurker
Jan 14, 2024
Paris - France
Nop. No chance to Burn your pipe.
It's a torche on the base but the flame becomes an umbrella near thé bowl with a smoother flame.

Windproof + efficient + secure

BenMN

Lifer
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
The old boy style lighters are cool, but I've had so many here state they are finicky in the wind; good ones are also pricey. Thirty cents gets me 50 matches. I'll buy them in bulk. I'm partial to Arango matches.
Even though we are in different states, when you said Wind my old boy went out

• Haha
Reactions: K.E. Powell
Aug 1, 2012
On an unrelated note, the original title has been edited due to ending with a preposition. To paraphrase what is generally attributed to Churchill, this is the kind of thing that up with this we shall not put. nnnn puffy

I just found it funny, no shade implied.

Reactions: FLDRD and jpmcwjr

Pappy Coon

Might Stick Around
Feb 13, 2024
Panhandle of Nebraska
I only use two of these for pipes, but I thought I share my small collection of Zippos. The lighter on the far right has a standard Zippo pipe insert and the Elvis lighter has a Vector Thunderbird butane pipe insert. The mini uses Zippo fuel and the Sailor Jerry is a Zippo soft flame butane insert that I typically use for cigars when I’m in non-windy conditions. I use Xikar and Palio torches for cigars too.

As a long time cigar smoker I had sworn off using a Zippo, but I see so many using them that I fueled them up.

View attachment 296583
I gotta ask... What's the story behind the Bosun"s pipe?

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
I gotta ask... What's the story behind the Bosun"s pipe?
Sorry to say there is not much to the story. I collect nautical stuff, mostly cheap stuff that catches my eye when we go to the beach. A friend gave me this to add to my collection when my Dad passed some 17 years ago. Our Dads were both on ships in WW II so it meant a ton to me. I can’t find a lot about the piece itself on the net. It says R.E.Kirkpatrick on it but that’s it. My friend does not know what ship he was on.