PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
I've posted this pic in other threads, but I guess it works here... This is my windproof Zippo with my homemade tamper taped on. Not fancy, but about all I need to carry out with me along with my pipe and an old book.

Attachments

• pipe lighter - tamper .jpg
    pipe lighter - tamper .jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 10

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
These Dunhill, Dupont, Davidoff and Corona angled flame pipe lighters are always at hand.
6GpDkCc.jpeg

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Vertigo Puffer in blue. Adjustable soft butane flame, refillable, functional tools.
I must have gotten a good one, as it's never given me any problems.
I like these but I've had 2 poop out on me at less than 1 year each. At $20 that's not terrible, but I'd prefer if they lasted longer. Issue seems to be in the piezoelectric (?) part...
Great when they do work. Little tools are functional too.

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
I only use two of these for pipes, but I thought I share my small collection of Zippos. The lighter on the far right has a standard Zippo pipe insert and the Elvis lighter has a Vector Thunderbird butane pipe insert. The mini uses Zippo fuel and the Sailor Jerry is a Zippo soft flame butane insert that I typically use for cigars when I’m in non-windy conditions. I use Xikar and Palio torches for cigars too.

As a long time cigar smoker I had sworn off using a Zippo, but I see so many using them that I fueled them up.

IMG_2567.jpeg

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
I had a black and silver Lotus Condor pipe lighter for about a year and a half before it stopped working. The angled flame was great. As it got older it took a few more clicks to fire up each time. By the end the finish was wearing off and the pipe tools didn't stay tucked away anymore. It was a great lighter, but I didn't buy another. Now I just use a regular sized Bic.

I used Red Bird strike anywhere matches when I first started smoking a pipe and I still have some boxes of the newer strike on box ones around just in case.

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States

912S Windproof Lighter - Leak-Resistant Gasket Design, Upgraded Quality Fluid-Fill Lighter with Heavy-Duty Hinge and Ultra-Thick Construction​

Brand: ZORRO

The Zorro case weighs about half a pound! I use it as a tabletop lighter.
I replaced the included insert with the gold plated Zippo pipe insert
and added a gasket bottom seal to the insert.
With the Zorro case seal and the bottom insert seal, lighter fluid evaporation approaches zero.

I popped the top off the pipe insert and tossed it, so the flame is free to burn both upwards and sideways.

1710760866853.jpeg

1710761838456.jpeg

1710761421957.jpeg

1710761446429.jpeg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

912S Windproof Lighter - Leak-Resistant Gasket Design, Upgraded Quality Fluid-Fill Lighter with Heavy-Duty Hinge and Ultra-Thick Construction​

Brand: ZORRO

The Zorro case weighs about half a pound! I use it as a tabletop lighter.
I replaced the included insert with the gold plated Zippo pipe insert
and added a gasket bottom seal to the insert.
With the Zorro case seal and the bottom insert seal, lighter fluid evaporation approaches zero.

I popped the top off the pipe insert and tossed it, so the flame is free to burn both upwards and sideways.

View attachment 296627

View attachment 296632

View attachment 296630

View attachment 296631
Dang that's beefy!

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
If it's one thing I am particular about, it's lighting my pipe with a match. A good false light sets the tone for the rest of the smoke, and a good sulphur-free match is perfect for the job. I keep the Zippo handy for inclement weather, or when I need just a quick relight.

The old boy style lighters are cool, but I've had so many here state they are finicky in the wind; good ones are also pricey. Thirty cents gets me 50 matches. I'll buy them in bulk. I'm partial to Arango matches.

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
Wick on a stick. I have a large spool of hemp wick that I wind onto various debarked tree branch that I can use as a tamper too. I've been using a bic to light the wick. View attachment 293550
Hey! I did this exact thing today after I came across some old closed threads about lighter temperatures. I went into a smoke shop and picked up 100 ft of waxed hemp wick and have been using wick on stick since this afternoon and it is amazing!

I have no idea why more people aren't talking about it. I find a whole new experience pipe smoking with this. I swear it is cooler and stays cooler. Retrohales never burn.

I'm going to throw some MacBaren Virginia Flake into an unfiltered pipe and see what happens.