PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I have an IM Corona Old Boy (silver arabesque) that I use 99% of the time.

I also have a Kiribi "Mikazuki" (matte black) that I never use anymore and a cheap JetLine "Pipe Pro" lighter as a backup, but that pos is unreliable (too many clicks to get lit sometimes and the flame is really inconsistent). I also have a Zippo pipe lighter that was a gift, which I also never use.

If I don't use the Old Boy, I usually use my regular old Bic lighter (it's not even one of those reach ones, just the standard deal).

I'm thinking of grabbing some of those Bic EZ Reach candle lighters for backups or like, when I am walking trails and stuff. Would love a Bic EZ reach style that's refillable and inexpensive for EDC (like the aforementioned JetLine), but I haven't found one yet that wasn't a completely worthless pos. Wouldn't care if it was striker or piezo.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I would love an instructional video. Funnily enough, I can light a match in the rain to start a still but can't get one to stay lit in the wind.
I will try to explain it. In your left hand hold the match box between your middle and pointer finger so the strike pad is just about level with your finger pads. Then cup your hands so the wind break is in front and sides of the top of the pipe. The back of your left hand should face the wind. It's really weird at first but it becomes really natural after a few hours.

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
The Hollers of Kentucky in Appalachia
I will try to explain it. In your left hand hold the match box between your middle and pointer finger so the strike pad is just about level with your finger pads. Then cup your hands so the wind break is in front and sides of the top of the pipe. The back of your left hand should face the wind. It's really weird at first but it becomes really natural after a few hours.
I'll give it a shot. Thanks friend.

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
My primary, edc lighter is the IM Corona Pipemaster (brass/arabesque). Easy, one click lighting. Adjustable flame size. Includes a tamper/pick that fits flush at the bottom. I don't use the tamper with any regularity but it's nice knowing it's there.. just in case.
View attachment 293289
View attachment 293290

My primary back-up lighter, or if I'm in the mood for a change, is a ST DuPont style butane by Rattrays.
The Pipemaster is Piezo, so I felt like I needed a flint option too. So far I'm enjoying it.
The flip top lid has a fantastic "weight" to it. Ultra smooth mechanically, it even stays lit against light breezes.
View attachment 293291View attachment 293292
Wow! How does that hold up in the wind?

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
My edc’s are bics. I’ve got some zippos. Still looking for an antique “nice” lighter. Haven’t found the one that tickles my fancy yet.View attachment 293330
Are these any different than the gas station branded ones? I found one of these with a weird name on it, I think the gas stations. not BIC. Doesn't work in ANY wind and doesn't always light.

Reactions: Speak Easy

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
matches for me. And I really need to finally make the video showing how easy outside match use actually is. Though find an old Bing movie and watch his lighting technique.
I would love this! I've been meaning to search the forums on char lighting. How to do it properly, how to know if you inhale to deep? Sometimes I think I burn off to much tobacco during the char lighting process. Not to steal the thread (though it is lighter related). I have so many wooden matches I get for free from the tobacco store here. I keep them in my car as a back up.

Speak Easy

Lifer
Jan 12, 2024
Western Oklahoma
Are these any different than the gas station branded ones? I found one of these with a weird name on it, I think the gas stations. not BIC. Doesn't work in ANY wind and doesn't always light.
Idk? I’ve only ever bought the Bic branded ones. My only complaint is they don’t last very long…or as long as I think they should anyway.