PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Oh and not a big vodka fan either. I don't hate it but I do feel like it's unfinished gin.
Same here. I'll use it when the drink calls for it (and substitutions don't work) but generally I favor drinks built from gin/bourbon/rye.

I mostly figure that vodka is used to add ethanol to the flavor ingredients, so I lean toward 100-proof vodka, and usually a bit less of it, to do that job. But my next White Russian will be with Everclear, as suggested upthread. That should be fun. 🤓

Oh and not a big vodka fan either.
I was in a bourbon tasting club for a little while. The main guys told us that the best vodkas should have the slight undertones of rotted potatoes in the aftertaste. I had no idea what vodka tastes like, but after he said that, I decided that I would never know.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I was in a bourbon tasting club for a little while. The main guys told us that the best vodkas should have the slight undertones of rotted potatoes in the aftertaste. I had no idea what vodka tastes like, but after he said that, I decided that I would never know.
Doesn't sound like my cup of tea either, but I think I can follow their reasoning: many vodka purists insist that it be distilled from potatoes, and if you distill it so much you remove any character from the source, what's the point?

Doesn't sound like my cup of tea either, but I think I can follow their reasoning: many vodka purists insist that it be distilled from potatoes, and if you distill it so much you remove any character from the source, what's the point?
There’s probably a reason you never hear of a vodka tasting group like bourbons have, ha ha.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Same here. I'll use it when the drink calls for it (and substitutions don't work) but generally I favor drinks built from gin/bourbon/rye.

I mostly figure that vodka is used to add ethanol to the flavor ingredients, so I lean toward 100-proof vodka, and usually a bit less of it, to do that job. But my next White Russian will be with Everclear, as suggested upthread. That should be fun. 🤓
Yeah, my poison of choice is either beer or bourbon. I can't remember the last time i made a mixed drink at home. But reading this thread, I'm really desiring a white Russian, shorts, robe and slippers.

I also have a bottle of Everclear, so I might have to give that a try too.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
A good Bloody Mary is worth it, homemade Margaritas are wonderful - other than a splash of cranberry wine in champagne to toast a holiday meal, that’s it for me - otherwise a slice of lime squeezed into a Corona is a mixed drink in this house (except the wife loves her gin and tonics - ewwww).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I can say that guy is not a vodka dude. Some vodkas are made with potatoes and even some decent ones but potatoes are a secondary choice when for when there isn't enough grain or the prices are too high. The best vodkas should sorta taste watery with a hint of alcohol sweetness.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I can say that guy is not a vodka dude. Some vodkas are made with potatoes and even some decent ones but potatoes are a secondary choice when for when there isn't enough grain or the prices are too high. The best vodkas should sorta taste watery with a hint of alcohol sweetness.
Sweetness can be misleading, too. Sometimes, a little sugar is added to smooth out rough edges, and add viscosity to the mouthfeel. It's an open secret with brandy/cognac, but done with many other spirits, too.

Kinda like pipe tobacco, come to think of it!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'd never come across this drink until I watched The Great Lebowski last week. I had to look it up the next day.

It has an interesting history, according to Wiki...

The Oxford English Dictionary refers to the first mention of white Russian in the sense of a cocktail as appearing in California's Oakland Tribune on November 21, 1965. It was placed in the newspaper as an insert: "White Russian. 1 oz. each Southern, vodka, cream", with "Southern" referring to Coffee Southern, a short-lived brand of coffee liqueur by Southern Comfort.

I should imagine it's a tasty drink.

Jay.
Milk works just fine and so does skim milk if you want to make it a bit less calories.
Actually, when I saw it in the film I assumed it was just vodka and milk with ice as you never saw it actually being made :rolleyes:

Jay.

Reactions: Chasing Embers
Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Actually, when I saw it in the film I assumed it was just vodka and milk with ice as you never saw it actually being made :rolleyes:

Jay.
You sorta see him making it when he first meets Maude. He asks her if she has any Kahlua, then at 1 point, I think he's holding a bottle of Smirnoff. Can't remember if you see him pouring the cream/milk, but he pretty much makes the drink on camera.

big-lebowski-stirring.gif

Last edited: