PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Supposedly the Guinness that's sold to us poor dumb Americans is a far cry from the real thing. Not sure just how true that is though.
There are 5 or 6 different versions of Guinness produced for different markets. They’re not very different from one another.

The big thing is finding a bar that keeps their lines clean and pours it properly and at the right temperature (50-55F, cellar temperature). I used to know the local Guinness rep and he would drop in on bars here and make sure they were doing things right. It makes a real difference.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Guiness has, for hundreds of years, shipped the basic ingredients all over the world for hundreds of years. The ingredients varied as necessary so that the product was agreeable to the local waters added before bottling. Ergo, there are some taste differences around the world.

The idea that Guiness would sell Americans, particularly Irish-Americans, anything other than the best they can produce is ludicrous. Absolutely and totally ludicrous. Why repeat such a statement? If it were true would Guiness have the market share they do in the US, nearly two percent of a vast market inundated with beer brands.

Sorry about the screed. But, Guiness is a brand near and dear to my heart. This is true even though an English gentleman, few as they are, invented the stuff. rotf bdw

Reactions: karam

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
There are 5 or 6 different versions of Guinness produced for different markets. They’re not very different from one another.

The big thing is finding a bar that keeps their lines clean and pours it properly and at the right temperature (50-55F, cellar temperature). I used to know the local Guinness rep and he would drop in on bars here and make sure they were doing things right. It makes a real difference.
What about the bottled version sold in stores? Would you say it's essentially the same as what you'd get in an Irish pub?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
If it were true would Guiness have the market share they do in the US, nearly two percent of a vast market inundated with beer brands.
What are you kidding? The big selling American beer brands are crap. Most Americans will drink anything and like it.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Most Americans will drink anything and like it.
I'm not sure that's true. Most all the beer drinkers I know have their favorite swill and stick to it as it pleases them Just like most pipe smokers finally settle on a few blends they enjoy. But, there are the beer snobs and blend snobs who happily denigrate anyone who opts for something they, the snob, thinks little of. I won't belittle other people's choices in food, drink or blend. It's simply a matter of choice, personal choice and, really, none of my concern.

• Haha
Reactions: brian64