PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I don't know why, but I love a Caesar wedge. The sprouts are the real MVP though. My lord are they good.
I just saw a neat take on a Caesar "wedge" with iceberg and thought you might enjoy trying it. I'll try to articulate.

Take core out of iceberg (I like the smash method). Keep the round shape and take out the middle portion to make a bowl out of the lettuce (and save the middle for a different salad or sandwiches).

Lightly dress the bowl, then fill with croutons, parmesan, and chicken. Top with more dressing. Either serve as a literal salad bowl or "roll" into a lettuce wrap.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: AppalachianPipe92

Frog Snacks

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2023
Today I ate a rather large brook trout, I try to only eat meat, I'm type 1 diabetic so I have to eat sugar sometimes but if I wasn't it would only be meat, mostly fish and wild game like moose or grouse or duck or something, if I have to eat store bought meat its usually chicken or pork tenderloins. I'm not a fan of the beef we get around here, too much steroids and antibiotics and stuff.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Smoked all day, boston butt. Gotta say, maybe my best flavor yet. Really like the change to my usual recipe
View attachment 253442
What did you do differently?

My "go-to" was simple pulled pork. A Carolina vinegar sauce was a game changer since the acid cut the fat for a unique contrast.

Then I tried slow roasting with a mustard herbed crust and it became my new normal. If you roast until just past medium rare, it remains moist and surprisingly tastes similar to a beef roast.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Made 6 quesadillas. 3 each for my and my little brother. Had sour cream and jalapeños on the side.
Quesadillas are my quick night "hot meal". Sometimes just cheese. Other times, some veggies or chicken. Yet other nights are pizzadillas, with tomato sauce, cheese, and pizza toppings within.

My quick "cold meal" is a charcuterie plate of salami, cheese, sweet pickles, olives, and crackers. Maybe some pub mustard on the side.

Both meals are served on paper plates for easy clean up.

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
Wish I had taken a picture, but I made rich man’s mushroom soup. Thought it would be clever to shake up the “poor man’s x” trope, where you made a fancy dish cheaply, and instead took a simple dish and made it a little more indulgent than normal.

Browned a kilo of crimini mushrooms, tossed it into a pot with sautéed onions and a roux, mixed in water and a cup of scotch, threw in dried chanterelles and dried morels, simmered for an hour. Blended and strained.

Sautéed a half kilo of shiitakes with garlic and thyme, added it to the strained soup, a quarter cup of whiskey, a cup of whipping cream, salt and pepper to taste. Served it with baguette slices brushed with olive oil and put under the broiler, garnished with more thyme.

Was absolutely excellent - salty, savoury, creamy, and very woodsy. It was supposed to make 4-6 servings but between three of us we made extremely short work of it. My only regret is I didn’t make more.

Buckeyestime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2023
Stuck between WI and IL
Up early this morning to start a big pot of chili for visiting friends this weekend. Normally we do a fairly standard recipe. This time I am going to go a bit Cincinnati style and add a little cinnamon, allspice, and dark chocolate. I go light on the additional flavors, just enough to sense there is something a bit different going on in the back ground. As usual, I do not follow a strict recipe as it’s more fun to go by taste.