PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One hoped for outcome in starting this thread was to show it makes no difference what you drink. There's no unmanly drink unless you're one who think only pu**ies eat with less than 10,000 Scoville units applied. Also, regional differences aplenty.

Yes, of course, some drinks are ordered primarily by women, and some primarily my men. But who cares?

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
One hoped for outcome in starting this thread was to show it makes no difference what you drink. There's no unmanly drink unless you're one who think only pu**ies eat with less than 10,000 Scoville units applied. Also, regional differences aplenty.

Yes, of course, some drinks are ordered primarily by women, and some primarily my men. But who cares?
This may be regional in terms of thinking. Back in my native St. Louis, Margaritas were the only drink that strayed outside the realm of beer for most men. Some whiskey drinking but even that was limited. Here in SoCal, nothing is off limits. I’ve attended mixed drink festivals that have over 5000 people in attendance celebrating all types of retro cultures. Sugary syrupy drinks are no where to be found, and I believe that is what generally was thought of a woman’s drink. Many of the bars make and brew their own bitters and syrups. please. My preferred drink is a Manhattan, stirred with Luxardo cherries. Next in line is a Martini with Plymouth Gin. Navy Grogs or 1934 Zombies in bars that are equipped to make them. Cocktail hour with friends is always the best time.

Margaritas were the only drink that strayed outside the realm of beer for most men.
I am not sure exactly what you mean in this sentence. Margaritas are ordered by men? Or, not? Just curious. I have never seen a man order margaritas down here.

Sure, some like... Manhattans, Old Fashions, Whiskey Sours, some martinis, just not the fruity ones, lemon and peaches that come with bits of lace.

I've got a bar story... I had not ever had a drink of anything before six or so years ago. But, 12 years ago my wife and I took my girls to visit their mother in Wisconsin. We were bored so we walked around the block where our hotel was. There was a little neighborhood bar, so we decided to just kill time there. I felt bad for using their dart boards without buying anything, so when asked what I wanted, my mind raced with thi9ngs I had heard people order... I was in a dry fraternity in college, but i do remember some guys talking about Yager Master... having never seen the label, just hearing it, I just phonetically ordered. I took one sip, and just sat the drink down, intending never to touch it again. Blech. So, I asked for a Mountain Dew... and everyone in the bar turned to look at me. The bartender repeated, you want to chase a Jagermeister with Mountain Dew? I was like, "yep." Ha ha. The bar keep asked me where I was from, and I replied, "Alabama." Everyone started asking for one of them "ALABAMAs."
People started dropping coins in the jukebox for Hank Williams, and anything country, thinking that is what we listen to down here. Then the girls all started trying to line dance, and my wife and I were the hit of that bar... while I never touched that glass of Jaeger again.
So, there is a bar in Wisconsin that serves a drink Called the Alabama, and I don't suggest anyone drink that shity ass drink,. ha ha.

telescopes

I am not sure exactly what you mean in this sentence. Margaritas are ordered by men? Or, not? Just curious. I have never seen a man order margaritas down here.
Yes, most men in St. Louis drink Margaritas. In the 70s it started with the Happy Hours at the many Mexican Restaurants - Casa Gallardo’s specifically. Out here in the West, men have their own margaritas “recipes” in the same way they have their own BBQ recipes. Limes are everywhere and so is good tequila. We drink margaritas by the pitcher and they are mean ass strong drinks - tequila, triple sec, and lime juice and ice in a glass rimmed with salt. Often with jalapeños infused. Rarely any other flavor.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Margaritas are a nice drink, not, of course, that pitcher crap, but a real handmade Margarita like they made at Maria's in Santa FĂ©, where the drink was invented. With 100 or so tequilas to choose from, and pages of options, the margarita of your delerium tremens is there.

Personally, back when I did imbibe, I preferred scotch neat, bourbon, or the occasional Long Island iced tea

Straight bourbon or rye in Glencairn glass Is a typical man’s drink.

Just the other day my wife and I were at a local store tasting some new ryes they just got it. Oh wait, I guess I just blew up my theory.
My wife will not even taste one of my bourbons or scotches. I think that she is afraid that she'll start growing hair in places that she shouldn't if she does. Same with beer. She will drink wine and lemon drops all evening, but won't touch any of mine, which I am fine with.

telescopes

There is a belief that one should not use premium spirits in a mixed drink. Mixologist will dispel this myth for you. While some spirits definitely are best left to sipping, typically, a well made drink is only as good as its ingredients. This includes juices and syrups as well.

However... for whatever reason... Jose Cuervo in a pitcher of margaritas seems to perfect.

Rum is a spirit that almost demands being mixed with other ingredients and is magical enough to elevate the flavors of those ingredients to a whole new level.

Which reminds me - a well made mixed drink is about matching complimentary flavors that are enhanced by each other. I am truly blessed to live in an area where bartenders are in some places true mixologists whose cocktails rise to the level of culinary masterpieces that rival the food at the table. The quality of our bartenders at the better bars is akin to having Michelin level chefs at the helm. They carry personal name recognition and run bars with long waiting list to get in... these are bars that do not serve food.

telescopes

For those who want to more about how serious making a good mixed drink can be.

telescopes

Gentleman, I give you the recipe for the original 1934 Donn the Beachcomber Zombie

This is not a Ladies drink. The fact is, most women I know can stand it and don't like it...But what a great tasting drink. Two will put you down from driving.

• Yield: 1 drink
  • Difficulty: Easy
  • Total: Under 5 mins
  • Active: Under 5 mins

Ingredients (13)​

• 3/4 cup crushed ice
  • 1 1/2 ounces aged Jamaican rum, such as Appleton Estate V/X or Extra
  • 1 1/2 ounces gold Puerto Rican rum
  • 1 ounce 151-proof Lemon Hart Demerara rum
  • 3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 2 teaspoons white grapefruit juice
  • 1 teaspoon Cinnamon Syrup (see What to Buy note)
  • 1 teaspoon Grenadine (see What to Buy note)
  • 1/2 ounce falernum
  • 1/8 teaspoon Pernod
  • 1 dash aromatic bitters, such as angostura
  • Ice cubes
  • 1 mint sprig, for garnish

Instructions​

1. Place all ingredients except ice cubes and mint sprig in a blender. Blend on high until frothy but not slushy, no more than 5 seconds.
  2. Pour into a tall, narrow glass and add ice cubes to fill the glass. Garnish with a mint sprig.

Reactions: brian64

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Margaritas are a nice drink, not, of course, that pitcher crap, but a real handmade Margarita like they made at Maria's in Santa FĂ©, where the drink was invented. With 100 or so tequilas to choose from, and pages of options, the margarita of your delerium tparremens is there.

Personally, back when I did imbibe, I preferred scotch neat, bourbon, or the occasional Long Island iced tea
Dirty martinis for me.

But Ensenada, ME, also claims the Margarita. I don't care, in part as my days with her are long gone.

Most Margaritas I have consumed were in Santa Fe, some at Maria's.

Reactions: sablebrush52

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Gentleman, I give you the recipe for the original 1934 Donn the Beachcomber Zombie

This is not a Ladies drink. The fact is, most women I know can stand it and don't like it...But what a great tasting drink. Two will put you down from driving.

• Yield: 1 drink
  • Difficulty: Easy
  • Total: Under 5 mins
  • Active: Under 5 mins

Ingredients (13)​

• 3/4 cup crushed ice
  • 1 1/2 ounces aged Jamaican rum, such as Appleton Estate V/X or Extra
  • 1 1/2 ounces gold Puerto Rican rum
  • 1 ounce 151-proof Lemon Hart Demerara rum
  • 3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 2 teaspoons white grapefruit juice
  • 1 teaspoon Cinnamon Syrup (see What to Buy note)
  • 1 teaspoon Grenadine (see What to Buy note)
  • 1/2 ounce falernum
  • 1/8 teaspoon Pernod
  • 1 dash aromatic bitters, such as angostura
  • Ice cubes
  • 1 mint sprig, for garnish

Instructions​

1. Place all ingredients except ice cubes and mint sprig in a blender. Blend on high until frothy but not slushy, no more than 5 seconds.
  2. Pour into a tall, narrow glass and add ice cubes to fill the glass. Garnish with a mint sprig.
Sounds good, but you left out one thing: the bartender to make it.

I read all of that and then had some Bulleit Rye on the rocks.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
There's no unmanly drink
I can assure you John, if a guy was seen drinking a Babycham he would be regarded as not being 'one of the lads' if you get my drift.

This was a drink aimed squarely at the ladies and was heavily promoted as such.

Babycham for those who don't know is actually perry.

Jay.