PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I can remember the days (not too long ago either) where a woman was frowned upon for drinking beer in a pint glass. The unwritten rule in certain types of pub was women should only have half pints of beer.

Some with more extreme views held that women shouldn't be allowed in the tap room at all, only in the lounge.

I can remember being berated by a lass I was courting back in the day for buying two pints of ale, one for me and one for her. She got really huffy about it!

Jay.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I can remember the days (not too long ago either) where a woman was frowned upon for drinking beer in a pint glass. The unwritten rule in certain types of pub was women should only have half pints of beer.

Some with more extreme views held that women shouldn't be allowed in the tap room at all, only in the lounge.

I can remember being berated by a lass I was courting back in the day for buying two pints of ale, one for me and one for her. She got really huffy about it!

Jay.
McSorley’s, New York’s oldest continuously running pub, by law had to start admitting women in 1970. It took them 16 more years before they decided to install a women’s bathroom. Ahhh… the good old days…

Mar 1, 2014

Jay.

Women are right to get mad at people offering large quantities of alcohol because an inebriated woman has a hard time saying no, and these days you will get convicted of rape if she was drunk and regrets anything.
30 years ago the situation would have been entirely different and I don't doubt many women want to be treated as "equals" but today it's for your protection that you never offer alcohol to a woman.

Reactions: telescopes

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
McSorley’s, New York’s oldest continuously running pub, by law had to start admitting women in 1970. It took them 16 more years before they decided to install a women’s bathroom. Ahhh… the good old days…
I was able to enjoy McSorley's before the forced admission. Glad to know it's still in biz..

skeeter456

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2017
Plattsburgh NY
Your title reminded me when I was in Jamaica. I went to a local bar at like 11pm (eh sketchy for even me) and asked for a drink. I was asked “do you want a real mans drink? Being the 5’5”, 150lb guy I am I of course said yes 😂. I think it was rubbing alcohol and some type of soda. What a buzz…still got all my body parts too!

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Every once in awhile I'll order a Lemon Drop, which I've been told is not a man's drink. I dunno; if I'm three deep in Lemon Drops I'm usually feeling as manly as I need to feel. The wife doesn't complain.
My lemon drop story:

Closed up working the kitchen at a college bar's restaurant (Harper's in East Lansing) on Super Bowl weekend when Detroit hosted the event. I'm sitting at the bar (not in uniform) finishing up a drink after last call when a large, when a well dressed gentleman with nice cuff links and a shirt print having Ethiopian money (so he days) pulls up next to me. I'm smoking a Black and Mild and bum him one at his request.

We talk about nothing in particular and I think he's bluffing when telling me he will be watching the big game at Puffy Combs' (a major hip hop mogul) party. Regardless, we chat it up some more and he orders two lemon drops 30 minutes after the serving cut off. I find it weird the bartender obliges.

The drinks are served. Instead of taking it like a tequila shot, he puts the sugar in the vodka and squeezes in the lemon juice before drinking. Odd, but I follow suit and actually preferred this method. Dropping a big pile of money on the bar, he shakes my hand and leaves. As he hits the door, the bartender yells "thank you, Mr. Duckett!" and my jaw drops.

I just spent about 30 minutes talking about nothing in particular with MSU local legend T.J. Duckett.

I'm not reading this whole thread, but I know from being social and hosting many wine tastings that women consider mixed drinks, women's drinks. This is 30somethings to fifty somethings.
I know that this place hosts many types of guys people, and if I have referred to mixed drinks as women's drinks, and it has upset someone, I will wok diligently not to offend you folks from all over the world with different gender signifiers, or non-binary people things.
But, if you come to a humidor here or a bar and ask for a vanilla cigar or a fruity drink, you may get laughed at. If this is a worry, probably best just to not come down here.

Funny story, my wife and I are hanging with friends at a humidor/bar just down the road. Live band, lots of dancing, that sort of cigar place. My wife does enjoy a good vanilla cigar from time to time, as so do most of the women that frequent. And, this big biker looking dude asks for help finding a flavored cigar. My wife and her friends all bust out laughing, and my wife says, "you want a tampon with that?" And, laughing and pointing ensues. And, I am the only guy at the table, with this embarrassed/enraged looking dude giving me the stink eye. I thought, 'oh crap, I'm going to have to fight this guy.' But, he eventually cracked a smile and joined in laughing.

I only have ever heard a man order straight drinks or beer. Maybe the occasional martini in a James Bond sort of way. Shaken not stirred. But, of course I have never heard of someone drinking gin by itself either. I have never heard of someone drinking a bloody Mary either, except of TV.

It was always explained to me that mixed drinks came about during prohibition to mask the poor quality alcohols, and they remained because women were the least likely genders to develop a taste for straight booze. So, fruity drinks equals women's drinks.... but maybe in some places, more open minded places, people don't bat an eye. I know that in New Orleans, I watch kids order those nasty Hurricane in those tall souvenir glasses, and of course by 1AM, you see them all puking their guts out in the streets. But, Hey, drink what you want.

I will just try to be more non-binary to keep with these changing times. I really don't want to insult you folks.