What Should We Buy Before the Door Closes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

11 Fresh IMP Meerschaum Pipes
23 Fresh Ropp Pipes
96 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Jacono Pipes
36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
@cigrmaster, you sure about Capstan Blue? That's been around forever. The Mac Baren though... that's a good point. Probably the entire HH line is going away. Arrrgh.
The Capstan Blue we know came on the market in 2013. I twas off the ,market a couple of decades I think so I have no idea what would happen to it. I loaded in 2013 with around a 175 tins. I love the stuff and mo way am I running out.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
For blends to continue beyond the August 8th 2021 cut off they need to go through one of the FDA deeming processes. There are a number of milestones that manufacturers need to hit for that to happen, including the September 9th application deadline.

Miss that deadline and that blend is toast after 8/8/21. This applies to blends that entered the US market between February 15th 2007 and August 8th, 2016.

Blends that entered the market after 8/8/16 may not be eligible for any sort of extension since technically they weren't legally allowed to be released without first being deemed under the 2016 Rules. I've heard some makers say that they're in compliance with the Deeming Rules but I've yet to hear a single one of them explain how that is the case. Maybe they're legit, maybe they're not. Many laws have their workarounds. Buy them while you can. Hell, buy whatever the hell you can find while you can.

The guillotine drops on 8/8/21, leaving only blends that have been available on the US market since before February 15th 2007, and any later blends that have been deemed by the FDA, at least according to the FDA publications that I've read over the years.

Jesse is the only guy I trust to give me the whole truth no matter how painful Now admit to me you have been buying Blood Red Moon and Molto Dolce for the last 2 years and have hundreds of each.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
For blends to continue beyond the August 8th 2021 cut off they need to go through one of the FDA deeming processes. There are a number of milestones that manufacturers need to hit for that to happen, including the September 9th application deadline.

Thanks for the explanation Sable.
What I'm wondering is how expensive and time consuming it will be for a manufacturer to get a blend through the deeming process. Are we talking about submitting a simple application and paying a nominal processing fee or paying hundreds of thousands and fighting through a bureaucratic nightmare? This could mean the difference between hundreds of well loved blends making it out alive versus none.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks for the explanation Sable.
What I'm wondering is how expensive and time consuming it will be for a manufacturer to get a blend through the deeming process. Are we talking about submitting a simple application and paying a nominal processing fee or paying hundreds of thousands and fighting through a bureaucratic nightmare. This could mean the difference between hundreds of well loved blends making it out alive versus none.
I've read different estimates of costs from different sources and based on what I've read, it's both. Maybe a nominal fee of several thousand dollars and maybe several hundred thousand for the full monte. The vague and obtuse language used in much of the FDA writing seems to have been sourced from a mixture of neo medieval Bulgarian and high Martian.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
The Capstan Blue we know came on the market in 2013. ... I loaded in 2013 with around a 175 tins. I love the stuff and mo way am I running out.

Wow.. that's quite a lot. Is Capstan the most plentiful item in your cellar?

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Well, since Penzance, Stonehaven, the good Germain and most SG's are pretty much myths now, It's probably McB's HH series, Rattrays & GH for me. Otherwise pretty much stocked for the duration.

geo4

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2019

Miss that deadline and that blend is toast after 8/8/21. This applies to blends that entered the US market between February 15th 2007 and August 8th, 2016.

Blends that entered the market after 8/8/16 may not be eligible for any sort of extension since technically they weren't legally allowed to be released without first being deemed under the 2016 Rules. I've heard some makers say that they're in compliance with the Deeming Rules but I've yet to hear a single one of them explain how that is the case. Maybe they're legit, maybe they're not. Many laws have their workarounds. Buy them while you can. Hell, buy whatever the hell you can find while you can.

The guillotine drops on 8/8/21, leaving only blends that have been available on the US market since before February 15th 2007, and any later blends that have been deemed by the FDA, at least according to the FDA publications that I've read over the years.

Thank you for the very useful and detailed information.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I would love to hear what the folks at Mac Baren or any of these other manufacturers have to say ...ODF seems to be pretty dang popular. I have no idea how much the ransom is to continue selling that blend but it seems like it would almost be worth it. ...then again, I am often hopelessly optimistic.

I also wonder if companies could resurrect old blends or do anything to circumvent this crap...I digress..

• Love

geo4

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2019
I would be interested in getting clarity on this as well. I too thought the date had been altered, but was not sure when it was.

sablebrush52 provided more detailed information. September 9, 2020 is the deadline to submit applications for blends introduced after February 15, 2007. After August 8, 2021, the sale of non-approved or grandfathered blends will be prohibited.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
sablebrush52 provided more detailed information. September 9, 2020 is the deadline to submit applications for blends introduced after February 15, 2007. After August 8, 2021, the sale of non-approved or grandfathered blends will be prohibited.
What I meant by September is everyone will know at that point which blends aren’t being renewed and perhaps they may be gone.

Reactions: NomadOrb and geo4

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What I meant by September is everyone will know at that point which blends aren’t being renewed and perhaps they may be gone.
Maybe, but the tobacco industry is very secretive. I doubt they'll be sharing any news. And if you have 11 months of potential shelf life on a popular blend, why would you stop making it?
I wouldn't be surprised if a number of blends start to wind down in the summer of 2021, though blenders could just ramp up overseas sales and ship what they can't sell it here.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Maybe, but the tobacco industry is very secretive. I doubt they'll be sharing any news. And if you have 11 months of potential shelf life on a popular blend, why would you stop making it?
I wouldn't be surprised if a number of blends start to wind down in the summer of 2021, though blenders could just ramp up overseas sales and ship what they can't sell it here.
Good point. Still.. the days of some blends are waning and no one really knows what the companies will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.