What Should We Buy Before the Door Closes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
3 Fresh Sam Adebayo Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
With the virus ravaging the planet, I think the FDA would look like morons worrying about deeming laws. W may get a reprieve on this one.Having said that it is obvious to me what needs to be bought in big numbers. Here is my list if I were in the market.
Capstan Blue Flake
Salty Dogs
Curly Block
Savinelli Doblone d'Oro
Peterson Flake
Peterson Navy Rollls
Mac Baren Old Dark Fired
Rattray Wallace Flake
Rattray Sterling Flake
Not sure if it is on the block as it was made for years then went away for a frew years. Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky

I know Solani 660 and 833 won't be on list but I would still but the shit out of them just because.

Oh and don't forget the biggest money makers that will b e axed are Cult Blood Red Moon and Sutliff Molto Dolce. Go ahead discard my warnings. They will be just like Esoterica. You heard it here first.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I thought so too. @BROBS is saying September though and I'm assuming he's never wrong.

I'm all set on GL Pease, but what Sam Gawith is going away? I might need some reinforcements on that front. And what about Peterson/Dunhill... yes/no? Safe? Not safe?
Well, as of the May 1st 2020 FDA guidelines to Retailers, the cut off remains August 8th 2021. Here's the effective and compliance dates chart:
So I'd like to see where the September 2020 date comes from. First I've heard of it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I just found this:

which gives September 9, 2020 as the deadline to submit an application to the FDA for a pre-market review. That may be where the September 2020 date came from. I'm not familiar with all of the various regulations, so I don't know how that relates to the August 2021 date.

For blends to continue beyond the August 8th 2021 cut off they need to go through one of the FDA deeming processes. There are a number of milestones that manufacturers need to hit for that to happen, including the September 9th application deadline.

Miss that deadline and that blend is toast after 8/8/21. This applies to blends that entered the US market between February 15th 2007 and August 8th, 2016.

Blends that entered the market after 8/8/16 may not be eligible for any sort of extension since technically they weren't legally allowed to be released without first being deemed under the 2016 Rules. I've heard some makers say that they're in compliance with the Deeming Rules but I've yet to hear a single one of them explain how that is the case. Maybe they're legit, maybe they're not. Many laws have their workarounds. Buy them while you can. Hell, buy whatever the hell you can find while you can.

The guillotine drops on 8/8/21, leaving only blends that have been available on the US market since before February 15th 2007, and any later blends that have been deemed by the FDA, at least according to the FDA publications that I've read over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.