What Should We Buy Before the Door Closes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
12 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
48 Fresh Peterson Pipes
New Accessories
36 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

select565

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2020
only companies that are based in the USA will have to deal with these new laws? Blends made by companies elsewhere will not be effected?

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If the FDA fee is only around $3,500? If that's all it takes to get re-approved, I can see many of these brands continuing on.

That really doesn't seem like a lot of money to approve a new blend, but I don't have the numbers to crunch in front of me. They could sell about 6 tins in Canada and cover the $3500 easy haha!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here's another approach, in addition to whatever you decide to do. Stock up on condiments like unflavored black Cavendish, Latakia, Perique, Turkish, cigar leaf, and single leaf Virginia and quality burley, to doctor your own mixes to give variety and life to whatever blends you end up having on hand. Not so useful for people with a hundred pounds plus of premium tinned blends, but for people with lesser stashes, a real boon, I'd think. Some of these you can smoke singly as well as in mixes, depending on your taste. Also, I think tubs are cost effective to really stretch your supply through time.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Wow.. that's quite a lot. Is Capstan the most plentiful item in your cellar?
Actually I have more tins of Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake. I have about the same amount of Capstan as I do Astleys no 44 and Brigham Klondike Gold. I also have over 100 tins of Rotary Navy Cut, 140 of Butera Dark Stoved,. I have a bunch of bulks that weigh in at 12-14 pounds like Stonehaven, SG Best Brown, FULL Virginia and St James and Solani 660 Silver Flake. I knew the stuff I liked would be either discontinued or real hard to get. I also have at least 125 Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug As it turned out that Rotary Navy Cut and Brigham Klondike Gold both got discontinued.

Years ago out of the blue Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky got discontinued and I was pissed as I loved iit and it was cheap, It came back in 30 gram tins in 2016. I grabbed a test tin loved it and got 100 more, You never know when something is going to get discontinued. My guess is that blends from Wessex, Fribourg & Treyer and Astleys get discontinued. JI hope I am wrong but I would rather have too many than not enough.

• Wow
Reactions: rushx9 and gervais

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
My guess is that blends from Wessex, Fribourg & Treyer and Astleys get discontinued. JI hope I am wrong but I would rather have too many than not enough.

That's quite a collection you have there. My problem is my tastes are too mercurial. A few years back I was a major perique junky. Now it bores me. More recently I went through a Balkan phase and stocked up on a variety of GLP blends. Now I only smoke them occasionally. Even the straight VA blends I was all heavy into six months ago are starting to flag. They just don't grab me like they once did. These days my thing is strong burley blends. I can't get enough of them. But it won't last. Makes it hard to cellar. I wish I could focus as you have.

In any case you're probably right about Wessex, Fribourg & Treyer and Astleys. They're hard to get and I don't see it getting easier.

Reactions: trubka2 and Casual
Status
Not open for further replies.