PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
This may not be the kind of answer the OP was looking for, but for me the “Grail” pipe would be a replacement for a large and incredibly light straight-grain Charatan I bought in the mid-80s. At $250, it was easily the most expensive pipe I’d ever bought. And I loved being able to own it.

On the very first smoke, the bowl burned out. And my heart broke.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
My 'Saint Grial' pipe was the Ben Wade 'Bourchier' for several years, until I found two: one with amber stem and another with military mount. I believe @sablebrush52 has one as well?
PXL_20221218_152551075.jpg

My current "white whale" is a certain very rare Delacour Bros. pipe which appears only once on the internet. Hopefully one appears in the next thirty years or so.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
11 years ago, when I started smoking a pipe, I quickly became fascinated with the classic British marque's I was determined to find. In particular, chubby Rhodesian shapes. A member of the old SmokersForums UK had developed a similar list which inspired me j(MIcheal Lankton). Originally, it was 10 shapes but later grew to 20. All were British save for two Castello's and one Kaywoodie.
Some shapes fell out of favor and were sold (Comoy's Extraordinares).
Others, I collected multiple finishes of the same shape (9242, 9438, Ashford, 999)
I always tried to upgrade to the top tier finish, or the oldest via silver hallmark.
Here's my list:

MakerShape #StyleNoteAcquired
SasieniAshfordAuthorNatural (unsmoked)12/15
SasieniRegentBent BilliardFour Dot Patent10/19
GBD9242Rhodesian1950 Silver hallmark8/18
GBD9438Chubby RhodesianVirgin9/14
Comoys499RhodesianExtraordinaire2/13
Comoys498Bull CapExtraordinaire6/13
Comoys256AuthorOld Bruyere5/17
Comoy's284RhodesianTradition6/14
Comoy's440RhodesianTradition11/14
Comoy's283RhodesianGrand Slam11/18
DunhillCKAuthorBruyere 196910/16
Dunhill120Bent BilliardShell/1961(birth year)8/15
Peterson9BCChubby BilliardPremiere Selection4/15
Peterson999RhodesianDeluxe11/15
Castello65Bent BilliardSea Rock KK4/17
Castello55PotCollection Occhio Di Pernice1/17
AshtonTaylorChubby Rhodesiantapered restem by George Dibos8/15
Kaywoodie5138BRhodesianSuper Grain/Drinkless11/14
CharatanCountrymanFreehandSelected4/15

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Yes, that looks pretty similar if not it. The ones I like some guy posted back around Halloween (go figure) but then when I went on the website the ones that were in the same vein weren’t quite as appealing so I never bought one.
Were they briar or meer?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My 'Saint Grial' pipe was the Ben Wade 'Bourchier' for several years, until I found two: one with amber stem and another with military mount. I believe @sablebrush52 has one as well?
View attachment 188056

My current "white whale" is a certain very rare Delacour Bros. pipe which appears only once on the internet. Hopefully one appears in the next thirty years or so.
I do, as a matter of fact. Lovely little pipe!

Reactions: greeneyes

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
It's like a Hallmark Christmas movie with a pipe, haha. I posted earlier in this thread about a nothing of a pipe I've been looking for on and off for a long time and is just never seen, and in the wee hours of this morning I did another search on a whim (Barney Fife says you can't question a whim, lol) and there was one on eBay. The stem is probably toast, the chamber is really dicey, and when I get it I'm sending it off to Rich at Briarville for a thorough going over and restoration, but what are the odds. Have always hoped I'd find one in good condition, but so what.

21EDC267-B69C-4F96-B1AC-A2EE01C8122D.jpeg1AB56D13-CA8E-4B35-818F-24F810AE6CE7.jpeg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
View attachment 188056

What delacour bros?

Reactions: greeneyes

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I got mine years ago but I’ve added a couple to the list that I’m patiently waiting to shake loose from a collection. The hunt is a big part of the fun of collecting pipes!

Reactions: Toast and jpberg

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
haha I hear ya. just wanted to check it wasn't a spigot dog or billiard with saddle stem.
My grail pipes are usually models rather than shapes, but since they're almost always old British pipes they're generally classic shapes I enjoy. I guess I'm pretty glad Delacour didn't make a reverse calabash. :LOL:

Reactions: Ahi Ka and jguss

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I'm very content with and grateful for my little accumulation of 20-something pipes I keep in personal rotation.

Each has a personal history with me -- a few were gifts, a few were antique store finds which I cleaned up, one had been the favorite of a guy who had to give up smoking for medical reasons, etc.
For me, the value of these pipes has a lot to do with these histories.

There are no other pipes that I feel a need to have (although the affordable option which most has my interest is a Ropp Vintage with horn stem).

I've never paid for a new artisan pipe, and never plan to, but I've wound up with a few affordable artisans, either as gifts or as inexpensive estate finds.

Having said all that, there is one high-end artisan whose work frequently grabs my attention when I window shop at SP -- Manduela Riger-Kusk. Her shapes, her lines, her use of color, often resonate with me uniquely.

One recent example which I liked was this:

Last edited: