PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
There's lots of different collectors in this group. Collectors of pipes, guitars, stamps, coins, watches etc. I've read lots of interesting thoughts and opinions, here, on what pipes smoke best, when you should buy this or that. What tobaccos smoke better in specific shapes, or grained pipes. The question I have for any interested in a reply is ..... what is your "grail" pipe?

If budget is not taken into account. If rarity is removed from the equation. Is there that one pipe that you've always dreamed of owning in your collection? If so, what would it be?

At one time I collected electric guitars and enjoyed the variety of tones, and beauty within each. I collected wrist watches, and still do, to a lesser degree. Guitars take up a load of room and are harder to hide than pipes or watches. Watches are great, but unless I choose to wear them on my ankles and both wrists, I can only wear one at a time.

I have been a pipe collector for longer than I can think back to. I've been a pipe dealer for more than 25 years. I've had almost every brand, grade, and carvers product come through the door. Pipes with price tags under $50.00 and all the way through to five figure price tags.

However as I sit back, enjoying the Christmas present I bought for myself, yes a pipe, I think ... if there were no road blocks, no budget restraints, and that one pipe was right there to be had, held, smoked, and cherished, what would it be ????

Honestly, I can't come up with just one.

Mike

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Apparently about 30-40 years ago Stanwell carved a little hunter with his bird dog on the side of the bowl of a few of their shapes. Realistically, one of those pipes is probably worth about $50, maybe more or less depending, but nothing at all special to most anyone. That’s the one - the rest, I buy whatever catches my eye and my budget and nothing particularly collectible to most. No serious Grail quest.