PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrx

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 9, 2011
Great American Short Stories by Great American Authors edited by Glen Fassano :puffy:

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
1. "In Search of Pipe Dreams" by Rick Newcombe
2. "The Silmarillion" by J. R. R. Tolkien

stiivn

Lurker
Mar 12, 2014
"Portrait of Dorian Gray" is the most poisonous book I've ever read. I love the cynicism, the lightly off-loaded evil aphorisms, the utter immorality of the man.
I'm currently rereading "Eaarth" by Bill McKibben, which explains in horrifying detail how it's now too late to stop destructive climate change. I find the whole science of climate change fascinating and have followed it closely for a quarter of a century. One has to hope that there will still be areas of the world where flavorsome tobacco grows in the near to middling future. That's one aspect of climate change you won't find much discussed in the media!

timcanny

Lurker
Jan 21, 2013
Philadelphia
Just finished HOLLOW CITY - The Second Novel of Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. Now going back to As I Was Saying: A Chesterton Reader by G. K. Chesterton (Author) and Robert Knille (Editor). Still waiting for the porch to warm up so I can sit and read and smoke my pipe at the same time.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
In between the magazines and news I keep up with, I'm starting my annual re-read of George Gissing's novel New Grub Street. Gissing was a contemporary of Dickens, but is far less well-known, although New Grub Street remains his most famous book. It's all about writers, and I thoroughly enjoy revisiting it every year. (One of only a small handful of books I've ever read more than once.)
Bob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Robert A. Caro, "The Years of Lyndon Johnson, Means of Ascent," Alfred A. Knopf publisher.

This is one of a trilogy (I think it is). Incredible historical reporting. Portrait of a deeply

flawed individual who played the political power game with incredible skill and ruthlessness,

and sometimes gave in to his better angels, but not often. Treated his wife and political

opponents like crap. Etc. Superbly well written.
Next up, "The Way of the Knife," by Mark Mazzetti, about the inner workings of the CIA.

Sampled a chapter or two, another excellent history and analysis.
Neither book builds trust in humankind.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I'm reading the two volume set of Ernest Schwiebert's "Trout". That may take me the rest of the year. I also have a couple of items on my Kindle including my subscription to Analog Science Fiction & Fact. 8)

Sep 22, 2012
Having finished The Waves and Orlando by Virginia Woods, I just started her The Voyage Out. Sometimes they are tough to read but once successfully entered into the mood, one gets a good taste of the contemplative experience.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, still haven't figured this one out yet but I continue to read it.

books

I also downloaded "Pipefuls" by Christopher Morley, a free-domain book for the Kindle.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/22699

Jan 8, 2013
This is a cool thread, I can keep my eye out for things I might want to read. I will continue to bump it back to life as it starts drying up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.